Russia gives Edward Snowden permanent residency

• Thread starter Thread starter ThinkingSapien
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

ThinkingSapien

Russia gives Edward Snowden permanent residency​

Edward Snowden, the former National Security Agency contractor who disclosed top-secret U.S. spying programs, has obtained permanent residency in Russia, his lawyer said.

Snowden, 37, received notification Thursday his application to remain in the country indefinitely and unconditionally has been approved, his lawyer Anatoly Kucherena said by phone.

Russian President Vladimir Putin granted asylum to the American whistleblower in 2013, sparking a major diplomatic confrontation with the administration of President Barack Obama. The following year, he was awarded temporary residency.

Snowden, who is living in or near Moscow, has defended his decision to reveal highly classified NSA surveillance programs, including the hacking of private internet systems and widespread spying on allies and adversaries of the U.S.

The information he gave them must have been juicy to have been given that approval.

Snowden was the first major whistleblower into the illegal surveillance activities by big name agencies like the NSA. We have seen this activity come to a peak in the most recent Russia hoax scandal. Snowden accurately uncovered a growing threat to the US democracy and was demonized for it.
Do not some consider him a Traitor?

Glowies?

I don’t think of him as a hero but I wouldn’t want permanent residency in Russia…

You consider exposing massive NSA operations of surveillance an act of treason? What do you consider Bradley/Chelsea Manning?
I’m chiming in on this.

Speaking as someone that works in IT, any type of disclosure to the public of internal systems is a violation of the policies of my employer or my contract. There may be reasons to have moral objections to keeping such information private, but it is an unambiguous violation. I saw this with no emotion attached to the issue. A yearly acknowledgement that such disclosures would result in immediate dismissal and prosecution is part of my job, and that may color my disposition on the issue.

Unfortunately, having looked at the disclosures and comparing them to the public reaction and how the story was reported on the news, I felt like there was a significant amount of misunderstanding about the information.

That said, a positive outcome of this is that many websites and services are encrypted by default, even for internal communications. Even the transmission of the pages here on CAF are encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back