Rwandan Genocide

  • Thread starter Thread starter Love_is_Patient
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Love_is_Patient

Guest
I’ve heard allegations that the Catholic Church was complicit in the Rwandan genocide. I find it more likely that some Catholics were complicit. Does anyone know where I can find more information?
 
Actually, most of the Rwandans on both sides of the Genocide were Catholics. It’s really sad. Paul Rusesabagina, the man upon whom the movie “Hotel Rwanda” was based, has an excellent book out called An Ordinary Man. In the book he gives the history leading up to the genocide in great detail.

Mr. Rusesabigina, a non-Catholic, does not blame the Church itself for the genocide, but he is brutally honest about the fact that many individual Catholics, lay and clergy, were invloved.

In an interesting side note, in the years following the genocide Mr. Rusesabagina, originally a Seventh Day Adventist, has largely abandonded his faith. His wife, a member of the victim class in the genocide, remains to this day a devout Catholic.

Read the book. It’s truly excellent.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top