D
dronald
Guest
Also, Sunday as the new Lord’s day was mentioned once. Is that Sacred Tradition as well? Is Sunday set apart from all other days in the Catholic Religion?
Thanks.
Thanks.
Hi Fathers Knows Best: You maybe correct in your thinking. My understanding of it is that there is still much debate concerning the order or who wrote first the Gospels. I was using Jerome"s Commentary for my information. I will certainly look into the book you have suggested for me to read. Thanks.Markan priority is actually not the traditional belief; rather, it is a new theory.
I’d very highly recommend reading this wonderful article/book:
The Clementine Gospel Tradition
Three sources of authority actually. The Magesterium, Holy Scriptures, and Sacred Tradition. All equal in importance.Catholics have 2 sources of authority, the Holy Scriptures, & Sacred Traditions.
I’d like to know if the Sacred Traditions have been compiled and preserved for reference and authenticity.
I should have covered all my bases and said Church FathersActually, it was St. Augustine.
If you read Scripture carefully you’ll find that there is way more than just one mentioning of the Lord’s Day being the first day of the week(Sunday).Also, Sunday as the new Lord’s day was mentioned once. Is that Sacred Tradition as well? Is Sunday set apart from all other days in the Catholic Religion?
Thanks.
Thanks Subrosa,You will find Sacred Tradition contained in the Mass.
Subrosa
But is Sunday considered a day above all other days in the Catholic Religion? Or are certain days not any more important than others?If you read Scripture carefully you’ll find that there is way more than just one mentioning of the Lord’s Day being the first day of the week(Sunday).
Just about every encounter that the disciples had with Jesus after His resurrection happened on “the first day of the week.”(Sunday).
All days are for giving glory to the Lord.But is Sunday considered a day above all other days in the Catholic Religion? Or are certain days not any more important than others?
None at all. I was just curious if such would be an example of Sacred Tradition or tradition.All days are for giving glory to the Lord.
Because certain days are considered “holy” doesn’t mean that they are “more important than other”.
It means that there are days that are “set apart” (which is the definition of the word “holy”) for glorifying God for specific things He has done in history or for glorifying God for Him glorifying Himself in a certain saint of His Church.
The Catholic Church, spread all over the world, literally offers worship to God every hour of every day, 365 days a year, through the Mass.
So what precisely is your concern?
It would be a large “T” tradition in that its something that the Church has always done since the beginning. Something handed down to us from the Apostles themselves.None at all. I was just curious if such would be an example of Sacred Tradition or tradition.
From the discussions it seems that Sacred Tradition is just assumed to exist. Most of us Catholics cannot tell precisely what is Sacred Tradition. I followed a link on what was written by ‘Church Fathers’ but I don’t know how to apply those writings. Most of them were written after 200AD while some are not dated.mark-shea.com/tradition.html
Sacred Tradition is the living and growing truth of Christ contained, not only in Scripture, but in the common teaching, common life, and common worship of the Church.
Then if I was to become Catholic is it a requirement of me to see Sunday differently than other days?It would be a large “T” tradition in that its something that the Church has always done since the beginning. Something handed down to us from the Apostles themselves.
What do you mean by “differently”?Then if I was to become Catholic is it a requirement of me to see Sunday differently than other days?
Well isn’t Tradition on the same level as Scripture? Just trying to understand.What do you mean by “differently”?
And why would you think that?
Can you please clarify these:All days are for giving glory to the Lord.
Because certain days are considered “holy” doesn’t mean that they are “more important than other”.
It means that there are days that are “set apart” (which is the definition of the word “holy”) for glorifying God for specific things He has done in history or for glorifying God for Him glorifying Himself in a certain saint of His Church.
The Catholic Church, spread all over the world, literally offers worship to God every hour of every day, 365 days a year, through the Mass.
So what precisely is your concern?
Sacred Tradition is the fullness of Apostolic Doctrine which is what they handed down “by word of mouth and by letter.”(2 These 2:15).Well isn’t Tradition on the same level as Scrpicture? Just trying to understand.
Can you please clarify these:
- Is Sunday set apart by the church as holy, or a holy day for glorifying God?
- Is it considered a “mortal” sin by the church if we do not attend mass on Sunday without a valid excuse?
Thank you.
- The term “holy” is literally defined as “set apart”. According to the Church Sunday has replaced worship on the Sabbath. It is the Sabbath of the New Covenant. The day we commemorate the defeat of death by Christ.
Yes. Because the CC is the only church I know that uses the term “mortal sin” to mean a sin serious enough to get us to hell. I would also put quotation marks around the word venial if I were to use that word as the CC is the only church I know to use that word [to mean a minor sin that could get us to “purgatory”].
- Is there a reason why you put quotation marks around the word mortal?(you might want to look at 1 John 5:16-17)
The Church distinguishes between them because the Apostles did so as well. You can see this by checking the Scripture verse I cited.Thank you.
Yes. Because the CC is the only church I know that uses the term “mortal sin” to mean a sin serious enough to get us to hell. I would also put quotation marks around the word venial if I were to use that word as the CC is the only church I know to use that word [to mean a minor sin that could get us to “purgatory”].
I have no problem with that. That wasn’t my concern. If you have a problem with my using quotation marks on the word “mortal” then I’ll leave it out. My question was whether the CC considers one to have committed a mortal sin if he/she does not attend mass on Sunday without a valid reason.The Church distinguishes between them because the Apostles did so as well. You can see this by checking the Scripture verse I cited.