Saddam's Mustard Gas Supplier

• Thread starter Thread starter gilliam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gilliam

Remember the other day when we were talking about who gave Saddam the gas to kill the Kurds?

Well it ends up being a Dutch business man and he is being freed today.

An appeal judge in The Hague has ordered the release of a Dutch businessman accused of supplying the chemicals to Saddam Hussein that enabled him to gas the Kurds.

The ruling is a setback for Dutch prosecutors seeking to bring their first case of involvement in genocide.

Frans van Anraat was arrested six weeks ago on suspicion of complicity in genocide. He is accused of supplying the chemicals that enabled the Iraqi dictator to make the mustard gas with which he killed and maimed thousands of Kurds in attacksin 1988. About 5,000 were killed in the town of Halabja alone.

Mr Van Anraat, 62, has never denied supplying the chemicals, but says he did not know what they were to be used for.

Officials and lawyers involved in the case say that the judge’s decision reflects judicial reluctance to pursue such cases.

After a year-long investigation, the Dutch authorities arrested Mr Van Anraat early last month at his canal-side house in west Amsterdam.

US customs had Mr Van Anraat on their most wanted list for several years, and had issued an international arrest warrant for him alleging that he provided Saddam with 538 tonnes of a chemical solvent called thiodiglycol, or TDG, which is used in the textile industry and is also the main ingredient in the manufacture of mustard gas. The Dutch say they have information indicating that Mr Van Anraat supplied more chemicals than the Americans suspect. Much of the Dutch information comes from UN weapons inspectors who investigated Saddam’s chemical arsenal after the first Gulf war in 1991, and who questioned Mr Van Anraat at least three times in Baghdad in the mid-1990s. The inspectors believe that he was a key international middleman in Saddam’s chemical weapons programme.

guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1401248,00.html

**What? The US didn’t do it? There are some posters here who will be very disappointed to learn this. 😃 **

You mean communism’s dreams. They are a bunch of self hating American’s and their foriegn friend’s. I always laugh when i see that website. Who’s common dreams are they talking about? No one I know that’s for sure. :rolleyes:
What a bummer they can’t blame us for that one. I’m sure Ted Kennedy and Barbara Boxer are working feverisly to see how they can make this Bush’s fault and Condi lied. :rolleyes:
Kathy

40.png
Emmy:
Well I wouldn´t be so sure about that cause Mr. van Anraat
wasn´t the only one…

commondreams.org/views02/0924-05.htm

Emmy
Common Dreams is your source? Come on, you surely can do better than that propaganda sheet!

40.png
gilliam:
OK, so now you post a pro-Iranian site that obviously has biases and spins the facts (Rumsfeld did not sell chemical weapons to Iraq for example).

Still not an objective source for ‘news’.
ohhh I get it every site I will post is not objective,
ok got the message…

Emmy

40.png
Emmy:
ohhh I get it every site I will post is not objective,
ok got the message…

Emmy
No, you just need to find a more objective one. I posted information from the court in the Hague. Got something like that?

40.png
gilliam:
No, you just need to find a more objective one. I posted information from the court in the Hague. Got something like that?
That means a court in the US might put it on internet?
Don´t think so…

Emmy

40.png
gilliam:
Yeah come on Emmy, you need a more objective one like the sites gilliam uses. Haven’t they got a story about it here?

:rolleyes:

Guess not.

40.png
FightingFat:
Yeah come on Emmy, you need a more objective one like the sites gilliam uses. Haven’t they got a story about it here?

Guess not.
If they did I wouldn’t call it unbiased. Nor would I call Woldnetdaily unbiased… but you didn’t ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back