saint cannonization

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blue_Serenity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m short of a revert (I don’t know if you know what that means) if not ask.

However, my hubby is a convert and my sister-in-law is in the RCIA process. So I got the book that way I could help explain things to my sister-in-law 🙂

My hubby converted Easter 2001 and the book has a copyright is 2003 (so it wasn’t around then)

My hubby got all his questions answered by the priest that married us in 2000 and from my Dad who at the time was in the deaconate program (My Dad was on his way to being a Deacon; however sadly that never happen for him. He had a heart attack/stroke in summer of 2001 that left him in a comma until he died summer of 2004)
I’ve met a few folks who claim to be “reverts” so I take it means fallen away but came back?
Your dad was studying to be a deacon? Isn’t that forbidden if you’re married and have children?
 
I’ve met a few folks who claim to be “reverts” so I take it means fallen away but came back?
Your dad was studying to be a deacon? Isn’t that forbidden if you’re married and have children?
“reverts” mean fallen away but came back.

I’m a half-revert. I was baptized in the Catholic Church, but my Mom left do to my (bio) Dad. He was Lutheran. We went to a Lutheran Church and I went to a Lutheran School, however we did “Catholic” things at home with Mom like pray the rosary. (At the time I thought all Lutheran’s prayed the rosary at home:p )

Mom divorced bio-dad and went back home to the Catholic Church and brought me with. (The first time I stepped into the Catholic Church I felt “home”; never left that way in the Lutheran Church)

Later, Mom married my Dad (the one that was studying to be a Deacon). They were able to get married because Mom’s first marriage was annulled. I tell you he is my Dad, because he adopted me. (My bio-Dad was totally out of the picture)

As for Deacon’s married/children?

There are 2 types of Deacon’s in the Catholic Church.
There are “permanent” Deacons and “transitional” Deacons.

Permanent Deacons are always Deacons and they can be Married and have Children, Grandchildren etc. However, they have to be married BEFORE they enter the deaconate program/study. Which Dad was? He was married to my Mom for 8 years BEFORE he enter the deaconate study program.

If Dad did become a deacon and Mom died then Dad could never marry again and would live the rest of his life celibate.

Now the “transitional” deacons are deacons that will be priest. So they have to be single and celibate.
 
You’re right. 🙂 I like the numbered processes and usually you can get the main point in the first couple of sentences. 👍
You always seem to help me out when I need it. Thanks, water! 😃
You’re welcome.

Ask your relatives if they have any book on all saints. I have one. It is very interesting to read their bio - they are good examples for us, any Christians, to follow - they were very humble, humility, obedient, and loving God a lot, etc.
 
It still doesn’t tell me why some are cannonized and others aren’t. Is it just whoever does something worthy enough to snatch media attention, like Mother Teresa, or being someone recently in power, like a pope?
Why do you wait til they’re dead to cannonize them?
Canonization is a declaration that someone is in heaven. The fact that the vast majority of the saints have lived exemplary lives is incidental to their residency in heaven. It is possible to live a life of sin, truly repent and convert on deathbed, and end up in heaven. Whether or not they are declared saints is up to God. The requirement for being declared a saint is the candidate’s death, and 2 miracles after said death.
Many saints, like St. Therese de Lisieux, were basically unknown during their lives, and held no power at all.
Some people are canonized because there are miracles attributed to them, others are not canonized because there are not miracles attributed to them. The rest are not canonized because they are in hell.
 
“reverts” mean fallen away but came back.

I’m a half-revert. I was baptized in the Catholic Church, but my Mom left do to my (bio) Dad. He was Lutheran. We went to a Lutheran Church and I went to a Lutheran School, however we did “Catholic” things at home with Mom like pray the rosary. (At the time I thought all Lutheran’s prayed the rosary at home:p )

Mom divorced bio-dad and went back home to the Catholic Church and brought me with. (The first time I stepped into the Catholic Church I felt “home”; never left that way in the Lutheran Church)

Later, Mom married my Dad (the one that was studying to be a Deacon). They were able to get married because Mom’s first marriage was annulled. I tell you he is my Dad, because he adopted me. (My bio-Dad was totally out of the picture)

As for Deacon’s married/children?

There are 2 types of Deacon’s in the Catholic Church.
There are “permanent” Deacons and “transitional” Deacons.

Permanent Deacons are always Deacons and they can be Married and have Children, Grandchildren etc. However, they have to be married BEFORE they enter the deaconate program/study. Which Dad was? He was married to my Mom for 8 years BEFORE he enter the deaconate study program.

If Dad did become a deacon and Mom died then Dad could never marry again and would live the rest of his life celibate.

Now the “transitional” deacons are deacons that will be priest. So they have to be single and celibate.
That is cool to know about deacons. I just thought they were the ones that were going to be priests. I’ll ask my Catholic in-laws if they knew about the permanent ones. 🙂
Thanks for answering my questions. I’m starting to place the pieces together. 😃
 
That is cool to know about deacons. I just thought they were the ones that were going to be priests. I’ll ask my Catholic in-laws if they knew about the permanent ones. 🙂
Thanks for answering my questions. I’m starting to place the pieces together. 😃
You’re welcome 😃

Of course a priest being celibate is only in the Latin Rite (i.e. Roman Catholic) of the Catholic Church

Eastern Rite Catholic priest can be married, but they like the “permanent” deacons have to be married before they are priest, and if their spouse dies then they live the rest of their life celibate.

Just like a person have one lung but 2 parts, left and right.
The Catholic Church is one church with 2 parts Eastern and Latin.

Both parts Latin and Eastern recognize the pope.
 
You’re welcome 😃

Of course a priest being celibate is only in the Latin Rite (i.e. Roman Catholic) of the Catholic Church

Eastern Rite Catholic priest can be married, but they like the “permanent” deacons have to be married before they are priest, and if their spouse dies then they live the rest of their life celibate.

Just like a person have one lung but 2 parts, left and right.
The Catholic Church is one church with 2 parts Eastern and Latin.

Both parts Latin and Eastern recognize the pope.
Why can the Eastern rite get married and the Latin rite not??? :confused:
 
Why can the Eastern rite priests get married and the Latin rite not??? :confused:
Basically, tradition (with a small t). The Pope has the charism of infallibility, only when he’s teaching to the whole Church (and 2 other requirements…invisible points to you if you know them). The basic jurisdiction for the Eastern Rites is one of the 4 Eastern Patriarchs, and their decision, guided by the tradition of their Churches, is that priests may be married prior to their ordination.
As a side note, Eastern bishops are not married, and the common practice even among priests is to be celibate.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top