Saint Francis of Assisi Movie?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kmon23
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kmon23

Guest
To celebrate his feast day, I wanted to watch a movie of him with some friends.
I’ve seen the 1961 film. However, I’ve heard many mixed responses as to which is the best film (such as the 1989 film I think).

So my question is, which is the best Saint Francis of Assisi film I should watch with my friends because it is his feast day?
 
Why, the 1961 “FRANCIS OF ASSISI” film, of course, as featuring soon-to-be Dominican, Dolores Hart as Saint Clair.

imdb.com/title/tt0054892/
Bradford Dillman as Francis. Directed by the great Michael Curtiz. Also starring Stuart Whitman, Finlay Currie, and Cecil Kellaway. Very well done.

I did love “Brother Sun, Sister Moon” 1969 by Zefferelli (who later did the beautiful “Jesus of Nazareth” mini-series in the late 1970’s or early '80s.

BS,SM was one of the most beautifully photographed movies I’ve ever seen. Got a lump in my throat several times during the movie. BOTH movies actually.

In the 1961 movie Francis is drinking, gaming, gambling (and possibly wenching?) at a tavern when a beggar asks him for a gift for God … at that moment Francis sees the crucifix from a religious procession passing the tavern window and Dillman does a great job of showing Francis’ change of heart (being drawn to Jesus). The beggar looks into Francis’ eyes and says “Pax et Bonum – a gift for God!” then disappears … and one understands the beggar to be Jesus in disguise (possibly). Great scenes include Francis as a Crusader, Francis witnessing injustices done during the Crusades, Francis going forth to preach to the Saracens, St. Clair’s conversion, the revolt of the Franciscans in Francis’ absence (per their vow of poverty), Francis’ stigmata and death.

Brother Sun Sister Moon has some arresting scenes of Francis questioning his own wealth in light of the crushing poverty about him. His rebuilding of an abandoned church. His humbly journeying to Rome when his burgeoning group was repressed for a time. The meeting with the Pope (Alec Guinness). Meeting Clair as she ministered to lepers … and her joining Francis’ group as foundress of the Poor Clares. Judi Bowker as Clare has a stunning innocent beauty and joy for the Lord. Great movie too.
 
I second Brother Sun, Sister moon. I must have watched it a hundred times in High School when I was an usher at a theater.

Any body remember theater ushers? I’m giving my age away ;).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top