Saint Lawrence

  • Thread starter Thread starter 0bl1vion
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
0

0bl1vion

Guest
Hello everyone,

I have been doing research on Saint Lawrence and to my surprise there is very limited information about him/his works available.

His martyrdom is fairly well documented and there is also writings about the fact he was the keeper of the Holy Chalice and other relics of the Church.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether or not he has contributed any written works and if so where would I be able to acquire them?
 
Hi

I saw your post on another thread and was inspired by it - tried to research him too and found only the info you mention 😦 Will watch this thread with interest.

Was going to leave the rest of this post on your other thread but couldnt find it. Hope you’re still inspired to find out more about catholicism, I was raised a Catholic but left the church for personal reasons in my late teens and have only come back in the last six months - Regarding your viewpoint on the bible, I can partly understand it as the Old Testamount confuses me totally most of the time : A Catholic priest once said to me “I dont claim to know God but I know Jesus; he’s here in my heart” Now, I can totally understand that and now I read the new Testament a lot highlighting and making notes on various quotes that I like - John’s Gospel is my favourite - maybe a good place to start ???

Will be thinking and praying for you.
In Jesus we Trust

Jax
 
Hello Jax! 😃

I will absolutely have a look at John’s Gospel.

You know, the last time I read the bible, I read it to see what I can tear apart and declare to be false. I had totally wrong intentions when I picked that Book up.

I am definitely inspired to learn about Catholicism and what role the Church can play in my life (I really do have a gap in my being that needs to be filled). In fact I am going to go to a local parish next week while I’m on vacation and see if the Father can sacrifice a bit of his day for me and give me some guidance. I have never been baptized - something I want to have done. So this will be my first step towards that. 🙂

I’ve been reading around these forums for the last couple of days, and the more I read, the more I feel like I’m finally at home.

I’m really happy to hear that you chose to come back to the Church. We all need something…and I’m starting to believe that Christ has exactly what everyone is looking for…some just have a hard time accepting the fact and for others I think it’s hard to navigate through the darkness towards Him.

As far as St. Lawrence goes, he seems to be a fairly mystical yet humble figure. From what I have read, he lived a very simple life. I also recall reading about a Church in France that actually holds the grill on which St. Lawrence was martyred…really intriguing stuff. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the church off the top of my head.

I will send prayers in your direction. God bless you.
 
Good luck with your visit to your local parish - I hope the priest answers your questions and strengthens your desire to find out more about catholicism. I will watch this thread for updates!

If you don’t get the inspiration you want don’t give up try another parish - I know my first trip back into a catholic church after 25 years away was emotional and I felt so full of hope and then came away disappointed as the priest just didnt seem to be right - my current parish priest is fantastic, inspiring, helpful and always makes time to see anyone who needs help or advice for whatever reason.

I smiled when I read what you said about “…some just have a hard time accepting the fact and for others I think it’s hard to navigate through the darkness towards Him” one of my favourite quotes fitted perfectly

‘I am the light of the world; anyone who follows me will not be walking in the dark; he will have the light of life.’ John 7 : 12

Another favourite is this one

John 3 : 16 ‘Yes, God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him may not be lost but may have eternal life.’
  • I first came across this in a homily - the priest reflected on his first visit to Rome as a young and newly enthusiastic priest and told how he was horrified at the amount of graffiti around the holy city - he got his bucket and scrubbing brush and started to remove some of the graffiti - shortly after starting he realised it was amostly the same odd looking ‘tag’ that cropped up almost constantly - with some sort of decoration around it (cant remember what) but in the middle he could just make out “Jn 3/16” 😃 The Lord certainly speaks in mysterious ways!
Stay strong
Jax
 
Hello Jax! 😃

I will absolutely have a look at John’s Gospel.

You know, the last time I read the bible, I read it to see what I can tear apart and declare to be false. I had totally wrong intentions when I picked that Book up.

I am definitely inspired to learn about Catholicism and what role the Church can play in my life (I really do have a gap in my being that needs to be filled). In fact I am going to go to a local parish next week while I’m on vacation and see if the Father can sacrifice a bit of his day for me and give me some guidance. I have never been baptized - something I want to have done. So this will be my first step towards that. 🙂
I will be praying for you! May God bless you abundantly!!!
 
Hi my friends!

My name is also Lawrence, so I’d love to find out more about my patron…other than the fairly common info regarding his ordaination. Try “Butlers lives of the saints”. It is a 4 volume set (I think) that deals with all the saints according to their feast days. St. Lawrence (the main one you are asking about…there are some others) has his feast day August 10th. I will consult my copy of this volume, and post again later this evening. Good luck on you search and may I offer a pre-emptive “welcome home to the catholic faith”!!

Pax Vobiscum
 
@Boulder257

Thank you - God bless your heart 🙂

@Armor of Light

Hi Lawrence,

Please do let us know if you find anything on your patron Saint.

Here’s another account related to St. Lawrence’s martyrdom that I have never read before…there was no reference material so I am unsure as to how historically accurate it is.
When a persecution broke out, Pope St. Sixtus was condemned to death. As he was led to execution, St. Lawrence followed him weeping, “Father, where are you going without your deacon?” he said. “I am not leaving you, my son,” answered the Pope. “in three days you will follow me.” Full of joy, St. Lawrence gave to the poor the rest of the money he had on hand and even sold expensive vessels to have more to give away.
 
ST. LAURENCE was the chief among the seven deacons of the Roman Church. In the year 258 Pope Sixtus was led out to die, and St. Laurence stood by, weeping that he could not share his fate. “I was your minister,” he said, “when you consecrated the blood of Our Lord; why do you leave me behind now that you are about to shed your own?” The holy Pope comforted him with the words, “Do not weep, my son; in three days you will follow me.” This prophecy came true. The prefect of the city knew the rich offerings which the Christians put into the hands of the clergy, and he demanded the treasures of the Roman Church from Laurence, their guardian. The Saint promised, at the end of three days, to show him riches exceeding all the wealth of the empire, and set about collecting the poor, the infirm, and the religious who lived by the alms of the faithful. He then bade the prefect “see the treasures of the Church” Christ, whom Laurence had served in his poor, gave him strength in the conflict which ensued. Roasted over a slow fire, he made sport of his pains. “I am done enough,” he said, “eat, if you will.” At length Christ, the Father of the poor, received him into eternal habitations. God showed by the glory which shone around St. Laurence the value He set upon his love for the poor. Prayers innumerable were granted at his tomb; and he continued from his throne in heaven his charity to those in need, granting them, as St. Augustine says, “the smaller graces which they sought, and leading them to the desire of better gifts”

This is from the Butlers lives of the saints online. My actual book copy is from 40 years ago and contains a more detailed account and some really good footnotes! I will attempt to scan it in and post a link. But, that will have to wait until Monday because it is soooo nice out this weekend!!

Peace to all of you
 
Hi,

Just popping by to say you’re in my prayers and hope you’ve managed to make an appointment to speak to your local priest.

God Bless
In Jesus we Trust!
 
@Armor of Light

The weekend was quite beautiful here as well. Hope you enjoyed yours!
If you get the chance to scan that, it would be really great!

@jax

Unfortunately I was pretty busy running around this week - but my vacation is continuing next week. I am hoping to make it to a Sunday service this week. First time in a year. Really excited!

God bless!
 
Hey Jax,

I actually did. Also got to speak to a Father. I’m gonna spend a bit more time attending the Church until I finally decide it’s time to be baptized. Catholicism is a very wise religion I must say.

=)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top