Saint Michael prayer after Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mommy_Ellen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mommy_Ellen

Guest
I have a question and I mean no disrespect.

My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.

My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.

In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
 
… For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, …

…Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused.
Hello Mommy Ellen,

I have never heard of such a thing before and the stated rationale for stopping the prayer is difficult to understand. I guess you could keep saying it together but in a low voice/silently. The fact of the matter is, you have a right to be in the church building and you certainly have a right to pray there. I guess all I can say is I’ll pray to St. Michael for you.

By the way, the prayer was never a part of the liturgy. In the “old days,” yes, the priest would lead this prayer but it was after Mass had ended. So, technically, it was not part of Mass.

Dan
 
I have a question and I mean no disrespect.

My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.

My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.

In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
I would get the bishop’s name and send a nice letter to Rome. Stating that St Michael is an offense to him. Hopefully our Lord will send St Michael to straighten this bishop out.
 
Our Priest where I go to church always says the St. Michael Prayer before he leaves the altar. We have been saying this for years but not all churches do. I have seen where we may have a visiting Priest and he is not aware that we do this so the congregation starts to pray it out loud and the Priest just follows along. I would definitely let someone higher up be aware of this.
 
I have a question and I mean no disrespect.

My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.

My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.

In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
Wow, I can’t believe that the Bishop said that! I assume that when your husband leads the prayer, it is after the priest has said “The Mass is ended.” In that case it’s clearly NOT part of the Liturgy. I wonder, though, what would happen if you approached your Parish priest(s) about it? At my Parish, it’s always the priest who starts the Prayer to St. Michael at the end of Mass;) Personally, I wouldn’t “write a letter to Rome” right away. Talk to your Priests about your concern, and maybe even write/call/e-mail the Bishop. In either case, the prayer is being said after the Mass. All it would take is a minute for the Priest or Bishop to explain the practice.

God Bless,
Pakesh
 
I’m curious as to your pastor’s view on this. Ask for a meeting with your pastor and the bishop. You may even want to have the others that typically pray with you at the meeting. There is strength in numbers. And, of course, pray!
 
My parish recites this pray at the end of the daily mass. The priest actually leads it after the final blessing and dismissal so it is quite clear that it is not part of the mass. I do not know the pray by heart - yet - so I have it bookmarked in my cell phone and when I enter mass I bring it up on my phone and then allow my phone to go into sleep mode. This way as soon as I awaken the phone the prayer is there and ready for me.

I would e-mail the Bishop and address this that way you have something in writting to back you up if you choose to address this at a higher level.

Does the Bishop usually say the mass?
 
I have a question and I mean no disrespect.

My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.

My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.

In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
Obey your Bishop. Start 15 minutes before Mass. This should be plenty of time, as you don’t need to have it end exactly as the priest enters for Mass. That could be seen the same way as saying it right after Mass. I can understand your Bishop’s concerns, as the long form of the prayer is used by some who believe the Chair of Peter is vacant. Avoidance of scandal is always preferred.
 
As for the history, it was Leo XIII, who added first the 3 Ave’s and the Salve Regina, lather the St Michael prayer as communal prayer after the Mass. The reason was to pray for the restauration of the papal state, which after 1929 (when the Church officially accepted the lost) was rendered to pray against the enemies of the Church, and the Satanic instead of wordily powers. The prayer was omitted in the 1962 Missal and rubrics.

In out church after every low Mass the priest starts the prayer, and it seems to be a good closing prayer for the people.

The bottom line is that the bishop/pastor is the boss over the church, everyone should obey him.
 
I would definitely question this bishop about his request. As stated, if you are saying this prayer after the priest has left the altar, there can be doubt that it is not part of the liturgy. Remind the priest that practice was started by a Pope (Leo XIII), who actually wrote the prayer, and declared that it be said after every Mass when he saw the destruction of modernism. Ask the Bishop if he has a problem with the prayer.

Human Life International, a great Catholic pro life group, actually has a campaign to say the St. Michael prayer after every Mass. You can sign a petition to do so. I’ve done it, and I always say it after Mass. Of course, it’s much easier when I go to the TLM and everyone says it! 🙂

stmichaelprayercampaign.com/
 
There’s nothing to address at a higher level. The St. Michael prayer, lovely as it is and powerful, is not part of the liturgy, and its omission is not something that breaks a rule. You will not get a good response by complaining to Rome about your bishop’s legitimate personal preferences.

I’ve said that prayer silently after every Mass I’ve attended for the last thirty or thirty-five years. You can, too, and you can encourage everyone else to do the same.
 
I would definitely question this bishop about his request.
Starting any prayer aloud in a church at any time requires the permission of the local pastor/administrator. He is in charge, under the direction of his bishop and the Apostolic See.

The whole problem of the liturgy comes from the fact that people do not care about this strict line of jurisdiction.
 
The bishop does have the authority to regulate in this manner. But he also has the reciprocal obligation in this matter to see that the faithful are correctly educated so that such confusion is removed.

As the bishop is well aware, the Liturgy ends with the final blessing. If the faithful are confused on this matter to an extent that the St. Michael prayer would erroneously be considered as being part of the Liturgy, it falls to the bishop to issue the correct teaching on the matter.

The faithful praying together in the Nave outside of Mass is a good thing which the bishop should support. So the restriction on praying the St. Michael prayer outside of Mass should be a temporary measure at best while the correct theology on the liturgy is taught.
 
Starting any prayer aloud in a church at any time requires the permission of the local pastor/administrator. He is in charge, under the direction of his bishop and the Apostolic See.

The whole problem of the liturgy comes from the fact that people do not care about this strict line of jurisdiction.
Can I see the sources for this please? I am not doubting, I am just curious where and what they are. I am always learning here;)

Thanks and God Bless,
Pakesh
 
I would get the bishop’s name and send a nice letter to Rome. Stating that St Michael is an offense to him. Hopefully our Lord will send St Michael to straighten this bishop out.
I seriously doubt Rome would involve itself in this. This isn’t a liturgical issue that would involve the CDWDS.

As the titular pastor of the Cathedral, the bishop is within his rights to regulate activities in that Church and in his diocese.

Your suggestion doesn’t do anything to resolve the matter. It just inflames those involved.

My suggestion would be (1) pray for your bishop that God may give him wisdom to be a good shepherd to his flock; (2) approach the bishop and ask him what you were doing wrong and how you can correct it. Perhaps, this is a learning opportunity where the bishop can exercise his teaching office.
 
I have a question and I mean no disrespect.

My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.

He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.

My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.

In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
It is obvious that the Bishop is not against the prayer being said, on the contrary I would say that he encourages it by saying to pray it before Mass.

I think that anyone that says that the Bishop finds the prayer offensive and that he should be reported to Rome has not read the OP or he his bearing false witness.

The prayer is a personal devotion and it is not a Liturgy, and it appears to me that the goal of the Bishop is to emphasize that. If the Bishops explanation is limited to what is described in the OP, I would not be satisfied with that answer and I would ask for a brief audience with his excellency to be properly instructed on the proper display of private devotions in the chapel and to have a better understanding of the Bishop wishes.

My suggestion is to pray it before mass as a group because the Bishop suggested that, then to pray it silently after Mass, and finally to ask for an appointment with the Bishop or the Rector and ask for information instead of expressing opinions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top