Saint Michael prayer after Mass

  • Thread starter Thread starter Mommy_Ellen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, neither I nor anyone else who attends daily Mass has any intention of “reporting” our Bishop to Rome. He is a good man and I’m sure he has his reasons for his request. All I can think is that we didn’t have permission in the first place although I thought we did. Secondly, I merely asked for guidance/suggestions for me to personally reconcile myself to his request.
Obey your Bishop. Start 15 minutes before Mass. This should be plenty of time, as you don’t need to have it end exactly as the priest enters for Mass. That could be seen the same way as saying it right after Mass. I can understand your Bishop’s concerns, as the long form of the prayer is used by some who believe the Chair of Peter is vacant. Avoidance of scandal is always preferred.
A) I always obey the Bishop. I wouldn’t dream of not doing so unless it was blatantly obvious that he had separated himself from the Holy See which he has not. B) In this case, it is not possible for us to start 15 minutes before Mass for two reasons: 1) they are still reciting the Rosary at that time and 2) I have two toddlers and it’s barely possible for us to get there just before Mass begins. 😉 C) We have never used the long form of the prayer. I totally agree that we should avoid scandal.
Human Life International, a great Catholic pro life group, actually has a campaign to say the St. Michael prayer after every Mass. You can sign a petition to do so. I’ve done it, and I always say it after Mass. Of course, it’s much easier when I go to the TLM and everyone says it!🙂

This is awesome! I think this is a terrific idea. Also, I am so happy to hear that so many of you have priests that actually lead the St Michael prayer! I have been praying that the Bishop will change his mind. Also, I have been saying the St Michael prayer to myself after Mass for as long as I can remember. I don’t feel comfortable with asking the Bishop for clarification because I’m shy. Besides, I don’t want him to think I’m criticizing him. I’m sure he already gets a lot of that.
Does the Bishop usually say the mass?

No, he isn’t a regular celebrant but it is the cathedral church so he does say Mass when his schedule allows it.

Thank you all for your feedback. I will continue to pray, asking the Holy Spirit to guide me and help me to submit my will to His. Perhaps, if I have a good opportunity, I will speak to his Excellency about it. He might someday give his permission to say the prayer after Mass again. 🙂
 
+**EWTN’s daily broadcast of the Holy Prayer of the Mass **. . . . which reaches millions of people all over the word . . . and right into the heart of the Vatican . . . always . . . matter-of-factly prays the St. Michael prayer after the official close of the Mass. If you need a sound example of this holy practice then . . . EWTN . . .certainly provides one every day 'round the world . . .

However . . . this said . . . the Bishop is the diocesan shepherd of the flock at that church . . . and obedience to the Bishop is required . . . *unless something clearly wrong and disordered is prescribed . . . *the Bishop’s personal opinion needs to be respected and his orders followed in such an instance as this . . .

. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank you Holy Mother Church+​
 
Can I see the sources for this please? I am not doubting, I am just curious where and what they are. I am always learning here;)

Thanks and God Bless,
Pakesh
Comes of the principle that the Church own the church (the building) and the pastor is responsible whatever happens there. The church is not a marketplace, neither the faithful have any ownership of that.

The 1917 Canon Law gave the only right to the laity, that they have right to receive the sacraments.

The 1982 Canon Law allows wider role but still under the control of their pastor

Can. 212 §1. Conscious of their own responsibility, the Christian faithful are bound to follow with Christian obedience those things which the sacred pastors, inasmuch as they represent Christ, declare as teachers of the faith or establish as rulers of the Church.
§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.
§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to **manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion **on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.

Can. 213 The Christian faithful have the right to receive assistance from the sacred pastors out of the spiritual goods of the Church, especially the word of God and the sacraments.

Can. 214 The Christian faithful have the right to worship God according to the prescripts of their own rite approved by the legitimate pastors of the Church and to follow their own form of spiritual life so long as it is consonant with the doctrine of the Church.
 
My advice is:

Listen to the bishop and pray St Michael quietly, not aloud instead. The bishop is after all the boss and should be obeyed.
 
It sounds like you and your husband are beginning to “lead” this prayer, while the Priest is leaving the alter, and while people are exiting the church after Mass. It also sounds as if this is being done loudly enough that it is distracting people.

The Bishop is well within his rights to ask you to tone it down. And, there is absolutely NO reason why you can not say this prayer before Mass. You simply arrive a bit early, and do your thing.

You do NOT have the right to loudly impose your prayer on others. You also do not have the right, even if there is a group of you, to go about your private worship in such a manner as to distract others from their prayer, or to give the impression to others that what YOU are choosing to do is a part of the Mass…

I frankly have never heard of anyone doing what you are doing. In the Gospel, it enjoins us to not make out prayer a public spectacle.
 
=Mommy Ellen;7736543]I have a question and I mean no disrespect.
My husband and children and I go to Mass almost every day. For the last several months, we have joined others in saying the St Michael prayer after Mass. In fact, my husband frequently has led the prayer.
A couple of weeks ago, the Bishop approached him after Mass (and the prayer) and asked him very nicely to stop saying it. He said that people might confuse it with the liturgy. He also said that he objected to the prayer being said while people were leaving.
He then asked that we say the prayer before Mass, but that isn’t always practical since we aren’t sure what is appropriate (when is the priest about to enter?, etc.). It just feels awkward so we don’t say it now.
My question is, has this ever come up before? I mean, have people confused the prayer as being part of the liturgy? I know from my research that in the Tridentine form, the St Michael prayer was led by the priest after Mass and before he left the altar. I suppose it was a part of the liturgy then, but we always waited for the priest to leave the altar and enter the sacristy before beginning.
In a sense, I suppose it just feels weird that he asked us to stop since we so need St Michael’s assistance now. Can anyone advise me how to personally reconcile myself with this situation? Of course, I don’t mean going against the Bishop! I am just … confused. Thank you.
Fair question… BUT OBEY YOUR BISHOPS DEMAND…

Has it happened is not evidence that it CANNOT or WILL NOT happen. And that dear friend is the point that the Bishop was making. The Bishop also showed reverence for the prayer itself and for prayer in general by pointing out the disrespeact of those leaving while it is being said. [That’s a catechesisi issue].

PLEASE do not take this as a personal rebuke! The Bisgop is ONLY doing his job! It’s not personal… It’s a matter of both personal, piety; and religious respect. Keep praying it’s a GREAT and MUCH needed prayer!

God Bless,
Pat
 
Comes of the principle that the Church own the church (the building) and the pastor is responsible whatever happens there. The church is not a marketplace, neither the faithful have any ownership of that.

The 1917 Canon Law gave the only right to the laity, that they have right to receive the sacraments.

The 1982 Canon Law allows wider role but still under the control of their pastor

Can. 212 §1. Conscious of their own responsibility, the Christian faithful are bound to follow with Christian obedience those things which the sacred pastors, inasmuch as they represent Christ, declare as teachers of the faith or establish as rulers of the Church.
§2. The Christian faithful are free to make known to the pastors of the Church their needs, especially spiritual ones, and their desires.
§3. According to the knowledge, competence, and prestige which they possess, they have the right and even at times the duty to **manifest to the sacred pastors their opinion **on matters which pertain to the good of the Church and to make their opinion known to the rest of the Christian faithful, without prejudice to the integrity of faith and morals, with reverence toward their pastors, and attentive to common advantage and the dignity of persons.

Can. 213 The Christian faithful have the right to receive assistance from the sacred pastors out of the spiritual goods of the Church, especially the word of God and the sacraments.

Can. 214 The Christian faithful have the right to worship God according to the prescripts of their own rite approved by the legitimate pastors of the Church and to follow their own form of spiritual life so long as it is consonant with the doctrine of the Church.
Thanks for all the sources. Does that mean I can’t say a Hail Mary out loud in my parish without my pastor’s permission? Please forgive me in advance for my ignorance.
God Bless,
Pakesh
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristiano View Post
Isn’t that a link to a sedevacantist organization?
Any worse than a link to the LA Religious Education Congress.
Reply With Quote
There is no life outside of the Church. No life = death. Death is the death is the death, beyond the categories of more or less.

I know nothing about the LA Religious Education Congress, and do not feel myself to judge the sedevacantists, so just comment on the principle: the evils shall be avoided, and the evilness of others does not justifies my evilness.
 
What a wonderful gift from your Bishop. Be grateful for this charism.

peace
 
This is awesome! I think this is a terrific idea.
How is speading your disagreement with what the Bishop requested to others in the parish not scandal?

If you cannot be faithful in little things, how can you be faithful in greater things?

Just a couple of thoughts to consider.
 
For those keeping count - this is my first liturgical year (I’m coming into the Church at Easter), however, I noticed the St Michael Prayer is now being said by the priest before leaving the sanctuary since Lent started. This happens after mass as ended (after the deacon or priest tells us to go in peace), so it should be clear that this is not a part of the formal liturgy.
 
=pollycarp;7739600]Why Pope Leo XIII ordered the St. Michael prayer after mass:
stjosephschurch.net/leoxiii.htm
My dear friend in Christ:

I fear your missing the point of the Bishops instruction…

NOT whle people are exiting church after Mass…

If you and your friends want to wait until those who [sadly] choose to leave; and then SAY the prayer; GOD BLESS YOU.

Doing so while the church is emptying MAY WELL be a near occassion of sin for those exiting and rushing to see who can get out the quickest.

The Bishop is 100% correct in his admonishing and it’s completely within his authority to DIRECT the personal piety of HIS FLOCK!

God Bless,
Pat
 
How is speading your disagreement with what the Bishop requested to others in the parish not scandal?

If you cannot be faithful in little things, how can you be faithful in greater things?

Just a couple of thoughts to consider.
I do not spread disagreement with my Bishop. He is a friend and we respect him very much. I said that the link to Human Life International’s page that requests saying the St Michael prayer to end abortion was a terrific idea. We, however, no longer say the St Michael prayer in our church at the REQUEST, NOT THE DEMAND, of our Bishop. The HLI page says:
This grassroots campaign is designed to encourage the laity to pray for St. Michael’s intercession for the conversion of abortionists. It is also a call to priests and bishops to include the St. Michael prayer after the final blessing at all Masses. The fight against the culture of death is primarily a spiritual battle, and Human Life International knows that with the aid of St. Michael, abortionists around the world will convert from their cooperation with evil.

Does anyone disagree with this?

I cannot help, as a human being and a fellow Catholic, being hurt that anyone would accuse me of being faithless after merely asking a couple of questions. You were quite harsh especially since you do not know me. I would hope that you are kinder to non-Catholics seeking the Truth so that they are not chased away.

I NEVER condoned the link that another poster listed about Pope Leo which I consider in error and actually an opinion page. I did not ask for it to be posted. Whoever posted it was not in our church when the Bishop spoke to my husband. Therefore, it makes no sense to advise that poster to wait to say the prayer and so forth. Also, the Bishop did not admonish anyone. I think people are skimming and not actually reading posts or paying attention to who is posting.
It sounds like you and your husband are beginning to “lead” this prayer, while the Priest is leaving the alter, and while people are exiting the church after Mass. It also sounds as if this is being done loudly enough that it is distracting people.
The Bishop is well within his rights to ask you to tone it down. And, there is absolutely NO reason why you can not say this prayer before Mass. You simply arrive a bit early, and do your thing.
You do NOT have the right to loudly impose your prayer on others. You also do not have the right, even if there is a group of you, to go about your private worship in such a manner as to distract others from their prayer, or to give the impression to others that what YOU are choosing to do is a part of the Mass…
I frankly have never heard of anyone doing what you are doing. In the Gospel, it enjoins us to not make out prayer a public spectacle.
  1. No, we waited until the priest had entered the sacristy. He had left the altar. He was not in the church proper. Almost the entire congregation was saying the prayer together. Yes, a few got up to leave (probably trying to get to work) but they were saying the prayer with us as they left. We had no control over that and meant no disrespect. We know better about that now that our Bishop informed us. If it was distracting anyone we didn’t know it. Most people told us, “thank you. We appreciate you leading it.”
  2. Yes, the Bishop is well within his rights and that’s why we STOPPED and we sent out an email THAT DAY explaining to everyone we knew why we had stopped and asking people to follow the Bishop’s request.
  3. I, frankly, am surprised that a Catholic has never heard of saying the St Michael prayer aloud as a community after Mass. We have now learned, however, that it is much better for the priest to lead the prayer if he decides to do so and the Bishop has given permission.
I humbly request that an admin will please close this topic as it is no longer necessary and seems only to be problematic. I apologize for posting the question and will not do so again. I will, instead, go to my confessor and ask for his advice. Thank you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top