Saint Moses?

• Thread starter Thread starter Psychic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Psychic

Is moses a saint with the day of September 4th, or just the Vatican II calender?

What Calendar are you looking at? The one I found here: ecatholicism.org/calendar1.cfm shows a St. Rosalia for Sept. 4.

If you can give a link to the calendar you are looking at or tell us of it and where you got it perhaps we can help you better.

Of course you can unofficially say that any of the Fathers of our Faith (Moses, Abraham, Jacob, etc.) are in Heaven thus by definition are Saints (all in Heaven are Saints). As far as I know none of them are given a date on the Calendar of Saints though.

Brenda V.

Is moses a saint with the day of September 4th, or just the Vatican II calender?

I know he’s on the Byzantine calendar.

And I just checked the Roman martyrology on line (breviary.net), which gives this entry on 4 Sept:

<<On Mount Nebo, in the land of Moab, the holy lawgiver and prophet Moses.>>

I was wondering how one can be devoted to Moses, and how could this help…

I was wondering how one can be devoted to Moses, and how could this help…
What a strange question.

One can be devoted to Moses in the same way one can be devoted to any other saint. One looks at his life and either sees parallels with one’s own or qualities one would like to develop in oneself. And it helps in the same way as devotion to any other saint …

I think he’d make an excellent patron saint for political leaders - after all, they tend to have people grumbling against them all the time no matter what they do, just as Moses did. And for legislators - after all, he obtained God’s own Law for us on Mount Sinai. And for judges - everyone came to him to judge their disputes.

Not to mention for fathers-in-law, he seems to have had a good and close relationship with his own FIL Jethro.

HoldenCaufield said:

<<I didn’t think that any of the prophets ever had the title saint along with them.>>

<<Oh, well I mean you don’t really ever hear anyone say St. Moses or like St. Enoch.>>

**Yes, you do, among both those in union with Rome and not.

The Maronite Catholic church in my home town is named St. Elias.

And in this city is a Chaldean Catholic church named Mar (St) Abraham.**

Oh, well I mean you don’t really ever hear anyone say St. Moses or like St. Enoch.
You do in the Eastern Churches.

St. Job is one of my favorite saints.

I’ve seen several icons of St. Moses so labeled available for sale through Catholic sources.

I’ve seen several icons of St. Moses so labeled available for sale through Catholic sources.
Ok, well I don’t see it very often then. :o

Sort of along the same lines; isn’t Adam and Eve’s Saint Day Christmas Eve?

St. Elias (the Prophet Elijah) has a very popular liturgical devotion amongst Eastern Christians; his feast day of July 20th is huge especially in the Balkans and the Middle East. I named my youngest son Ilya (a Ukrainian form of Elias).

Adam and Eve are included in the “Sunday of the Forefathers” which falls two Sundays before Christmas in most churches of the Byzantine tradition.
FDRLB

Think how of much of Sacred Scripture is devoted to the patriarchs and prophets. Why wouldn’t we honor them? As already pointed out, the Catechism explicitly states that they are always honored among the saints. Abraham is our spiritual Father in faith, as Scripture clear teaches (see Romans 4), and thus deserves honor from all of us.

Think how of much of Sacred Scripture is devoted to the patriarchs and prophets. Why wouldn’t we honor them? As already pointed out, the Catechism explicitly states that they are always honored among the saints. Abraham is our spiritual Father in faith, as Scripture clear teaches (see Romans 4), and thus deserves honor from all of us.
Yes ok I agree.

Even in the Western Church- if you look through old missals which have their Masses, they usually go something like St. N, Prophet and Confessor.

Oh, well I mean you don’t really ever hear anyone say St. Moses or like St. Enoch.
Our Holy Fathers St. Elias (July 20) and St. Eliseus (June 14) have important feasts on the Carmelite Calendars. And the Holy Maccabees (August 1) are still commemorated on the 1962 calendar. All of the prophets from Moses to John the Baptist are listed in the Roman Martyrology --1962 edition as well as 2004 edition.

Our official book of saints is the Roman Martyrology. Each day, usually around a dozen saints are listed. If there is no other feast, a priest may, among other choices, choose to say the Mass of any saint of the day listed in the Roman Martyrology (NO or TLM) --complete with Gloria in the TLM! I have offered Masses in honor of St. Moses on his feast for the last two years. And, yes, I have devotion to St. Moses. He was, after all, God’s friend! 🙂

God bless,

Fr. Boyd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back