Saint? Theresa Neumann

  • Thread starter Thread starter scriabin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

scriabin

Guest
As far as I know Theresa Neumann has not been declared a saint. Does anyone know how her cause stands at the Vatican? I once read years ago her bishop’s decision that she was not to be believed after he had sent priests to talk to her and examine the stigmata close-up. She refused to allow them to be present during stigmata formation. She also could not distinguish between consecrated hosts and unconsecrated ones; or, for that matter, between blessed objects and unblessed ones. I assume that this was a common test for supernatural authenticity at the time in Germany. In addition, look in the new age book “Autobiography of a Yogi” by Paramanhansa Yagananda; he has a chapter devoted to his visit with her. Theresa of Avila had a locutionist nun, apporoved by the bishop, who later proved to be false. Let’s get our facts straight on Theresa Neumann before we nievely believe her story. Please post accurate, Vatican approved information, not our opinions. I, myself, do believe her story to be supernatural–but of God or the devil I cannot say. I wait for the Vatican to discern the truth. God Bless
 
She also could not distinguish between consecrated hosts and unconsecrated ones; or, for that matter, between blessed objects and unblessed ones. I assume that this was a common test for supernatural

I suspect very few saints would have had such a gift. You are failing to distinguish between being holy and having mystical gifts. You do not have to have such extroadinary gifts to be holy.

In addition, look in the new age book “Autobiography of a Yogi” by Paramanhansa Yagananda; he has a chapter devoted to his visit with her.

And the last Pope prayed and entered into dialogue with His Holiness the Dalai Lama and people of all religions.

What on earth was wrong with Tereasa Neuman doing the same thing?

I wait for the Vatican to discern the truth. God Bless

Yes its wise to wait. I’d be careful in case I was besmirching what may be a great saints reputation while you wait though.
 
Although I sorely want to believe, I will continue to wait for our Church’s discernment in this matter; and, in the meantime, I will not besmirch her name, nor call her a saint solely from reputation. We need more facts; not a giddy desire to believe every story that we wish were true. I hope her story is true.

As far as the identification of blessed and unblessed objects goes–I agree with you; but it was her Bishop who gave her this test, not I. It must have meant something to him that we can’t know. Maybe a sign, yet not a proof, of inauthenticity. In the book referred to she did say about the daily Host she received: “…if it is unconsecrated, I am unable to swallow it.”

Neither of us will know why this Hindu chose to “dialogue” with this woman instead of the Bishop of the area himself. From reading the book I realized that a Catholic clergy trained in theology wouldn’t agree with this yogi’s version of the godhead in a million years; but Theresa happily agreed with his explanation of “the ether, sun, and air” energy flowing through and sustaining her body.

I’m new here to this website. Maybe I asked the question in the wrong way. I don’t want opinions (not even my own). I want to know the truth about this matter. What Vatican agency, committee, congregation, etc. is charge of these questions?
 
I read someplace, not sure of the source, that it was decided to hold up her sainthood cause while Padre Pio’s was in progress. It was considered best not to process two stigmatics simultaneously.

If this was so there would seem no reason not to activate it again. Possibly those who were pushing it are no longer in a position to due to health or age.
 
In fairness to Theresa Neumann, just because Yogananda’s version sounds as if she is agreeing with him, does not make it so…
I have read the book he wrote, & he seems to have gone out of his way to make it sound as if everyone he met was totally in agreement with his own teachings…
In other words, I would be very cautious about accepting Yogananda’s version of their meeting as being totally accurate…It may well have been skewed by him or his editors. (He also claimed to have met other people who never ate, people who floated through the air, etc…All of them Hindu or Buddhist.)
I, for one, have a good deal of skepticism about Yogananda & his supposed “yogis”, which is pretty much what he considered Neumann to be. None of this has any bearing, one way or the other, on her spirituality.
 
I couldn’t agree with you more zooey; which is why I’m totally open to her being a saint. I hope for our sakes she is–what an inspiration! 👍

Let’s conform our hearts and minds to what the Church practices and teaches; never a headlong rush to believe all spirits–that would be gullibility; nor an obstinate disbelief in supernatural gifts–that would be cynicism; but a level-headed search for truth. That’s one of the reasons why the Vatican waits years for the sainthood process to begin and has a ‘devil’s advocate’ assigned to each potential saint’s cause–to make sure we’re not hoodwinked.

In Matthew 10:16 (NJB) our Lord Jesus warns, "Look, I am sending you out like sheep among wolves; so be cunning as snakes and yet innocent as doves."

Let’s be mature Christians and be *both * cunning and innocent and walk between both cynicism and gullibility. Let’s have a simple, childlike faith; but not a nieve one.

By the way, the tone of my voice is missing in this text; it might sound as if I’m cynical–I’m not–I do fervently hope Theresa Neumann will be recognized as a saint. But I *more * fervently hope and *more * earnestly desire for God’s will to be known than my own hope to be true.
 
I am writing a book on modern miracles would it be a bad idea to include Therese Neumann because the church has been silent about her any opinions would be helpful
 
I am writing a book on modern miracles would it be a bad idea to include Therese Neumann because the church has been silent about her any opinions would be helpful
What miracles have been linked to Therese Neumann. Stigmata (even if true) is not considered in canonization.
 
I have a book on her by Vogl. On the back of the cover it gives a summary of what she did.
… her abstinence from 1926 to 1962 from all food and drink except the Eucharistic Host, her living without sleep, her visions and language phenomenon, her mystical recognition of priests and relics, her recognition of the Holy Eucharist and priestly blessings, her cures and prophecies and her bilocation and other mystical gifts.
 
I have a book on her by Vogl. On the back of the cover it gives a summary of what she did.
I am in no way implying that TN was in anyway associated with demons etc, but all the things mentioned in that summary you posted are things that have been attributed to demonic possession etc as well.

Unless the Church has approved any miracles etc, I think it would be wise not to include her case.
 
What miracles have been linked to Therese Neumann. Stigmata (even if true) is not considered in canonization.
She didn’t eat food for almost 20 years only receiving Eucharist

She was cured from illnesses miraculously
 
She didn’t eat food for almost 20 years only receiving Eucharist

She was cured from illnesses miraculously
For canonization miracles happen to other people through a saints intercession. The miracle is not what happens to someone being proposed for canonization.
 
Here is something of interest from the afore mentioned book by Vogl.
Some years before Therese died, she made arrangements that Fr. Naber would have a comfortable home for the rest of his life. For that purpose she was influencial in getting the Neumann home turned over to the Carmelite Sisters; there, quarters were reserved for the aged Fr.Naber. That is where he died. At present the Carmelite Sisters live there, and preserve Therese’s home as a memorable sanctuary.
Fr.Naber was the paster of her parish for over fifty years.
 
I am in no way implying that TN was in anyway associated with demons etc, but all the things mentioned in that summary you posted are things that have been attributed to demonic possession etc as well.

Unless the Church has approved any miracles etc, I think it would be wise not to include her case.
I doubt that one possessed could subsist on the Eucharist. I think they flee the Eucharist. **
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top