Saint Theresa "The Little Flower"

• Thread starter Thread starter yucalyptis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
yucalyptis:
I know she embraced death, but it just seemed tragic that she was so young. It was almost as if becoming a nun was her romantic ideal and early death the crowning glory of that life.
Her life reminds me of St. Paul’s conundrum: he wished very much to reach death and so reach heaven, but also wanted very much to stay on earth and do God’s work. He didn’t know which to prefer. In the end, what God chooses for you is the best. As I tell my kids, there is no reason to fear death if you are in God. When God picks the day you die, hard as it is for those you leave behind, it is always the right day.

40.png
yucalyptis:
I couple of years ago I read a bio of St Theresa and I was saddened by her early death. I know she embraced death, but it just seemed tragic that she was so young. It was almost as if becoming a nun was her romantic ideal and early death the crowning glory of that life. It seems like that given todays medicine, she would have recovered and lived a productive long life. I don’t know if that was really God’s will for her. Any thoughts on this?
Tragic? The answer might be found in The Imitation of Christ: “If it is frightening to die, it may be more dangerous to live long. You are truly blessed if you keep the hour of your death before you and prepare yourself for it. If you ever saw anyone die, remember that you too must travel the same path.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back