M
Michael16
Guest
In the course of my reading, I came across a Wikipedia article that quoted someone saying you can’t do philosophy with the Bible.
I disagree. I’d invite this person to look over the works of Saint Thomas Aquinas.
I’ve been reading about Saint Thomas and this reading led me into reading Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics. I’ve found much edification in reading this treatise, as well as understanding how Saint Thomas pretty much combined Aristotelian thought with Christian revelation.
This reading has deepened my love and appreciation for Saint Thomas Aquinas and indeed has sparked a devotion to him.
Now I do know that Saint Thomas really wasn’t a philosopher; he was a theologian. Plain and simple. In reading Saint Thomas and the other scholastics; I’ve come to appreciate that philosophy truly is the handmaid of theology and the value of Aristotle.
Traditionally, I’ve been more inclined to the Platonists and Stoics. Reading Aristotle, because of the scholastics; has shown me the human wisdom that can be found in his thought.
Another thing that I’ve come to appreciate with Saint Thomas is his teaching on faith and reason. Reason only goes so far and faith has to take over from there and reason can elucidate what faith reveals.
The other thing that blows my mind and I really admire about Saint Thomas is his reaction to what Our Lord said to him in a vision and he regarded all of his work as mere straw. Good food for thought; IMHO.
It was an eye opener.
I disagree. I’d invite this person to look over the works of Saint Thomas Aquinas.
I’ve been reading about Saint Thomas and this reading led me into reading Aristotle’s Nicomachean Ethics. I’ve found much edification in reading this treatise, as well as understanding how Saint Thomas pretty much combined Aristotelian thought with Christian revelation.
This reading has deepened my love and appreciation for Saint Thomas Aquinas and indeed has sparked a devotion to him.
Now I do know that Saint Thomas really wasn’t a philosopher; he was a theologian. Plain and simple. In reading Saint Thomas and the other scholastics; I’ve come to appreciate that philosophy truly is the handmaid of theology and the value of Aristotle.
Traditionally, I’ve been more inclined to the Platonists and Stoics. Reading Aristotle, because of the scholastics; has shown me the human wisdom that can be found in his thought.
Another thing that I’ve come to appreciate with Saint Thomas is his teaching on faith and reason. Reason only goes so far and faith has to take over from there and reason can elucidate what faith reveals.
The other thing that blows my mind and I really admire about Saint Thomas is his reaction to what Our Lord said to him in a vision and he regarded all of his work as mere straw. Good food for thought; IMHO.
It was an eye opener.
Last edited: