Saintly Humor

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eucharisted
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another one by Pope John XXIII. Apparently he was at some dinner…or something, and there was a woman there wearing a low cut dress and he walks up to her offering her a fruit tray and asks her if she’d like any. ‘Oh, no Your Holiness, I couldn’t’. ‘Oh, please, go ahead. It was only after Eve ate the apple did she realize how little she had on.’

The priest teaching the RCIA class at the church I go to related that one.
…:rotfl:…well I reckon she was either absolutely insulted or felt she would die of embarrassment and shame…actually, not that I have ever been attracted to low cut dresses and thatsa fact…but I think I would have burst out laughing - it is very clever!..

.
 
There’s another one attributed to St Teresa of Avila - she was praying while using the little nuns’ room, and a devil appeared to her, mocking her for choosing to pray while on the can. Her reply? ‘What comes from my mouth is for God, what comes from the other end is for you, devil’. 😃 😃
I was just thinking of that one.

St. Teresa of Avila has lots of witty one liners.

I think a few others were -

“May God save me from sad faced saints!”.

After falling - “Jesus, if this is how you treat your friends, no wonder you have so few!”.
 
I have a great devotion to and love for our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II.

I know that he had a fabulous sense of humor. And this was very often displayed at World Youth Day. He loved to be among the young people and he so immersed himself in the joy of their youth… and they, in his fatherly love.

Now… this photo has been posted before in this forum… and if I remember, there were some people who found it to be somehow “inappropriate”. But for me… it is one of my very FAVORITE photo’s of John Paul II… because it shows his sense of humor and ability to be humble for Christ.

It also clearly shows… that one of the components of true sanctity… is a great sense of humor. God bless.

Hope this link works… I think it was taken at World Youth Day (but I could be wrong).

kidsister.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/rip_pope_john_paul_2.jpg
 
Funny posts…I like the one from Bishop Sheen about hearing nuns’ confessions 😃 .

I’ve heard several versions of the quote by St. Teresa about Our Lord ’ having so few friends’. This was in the book "TERESA OF AVILA’ by Marcelle Auclair: Teresa said it when she was going to Burgos for her last foundation. Her cart stopped at a river and she had to get out of it in order to cross. “She was not very agile, fell and hurt herself. As always, her cry was to God, and she said thus, ‘Lord, along with everything else this comes on top of it!’ And the Voice said, ‘Teresa, that is how I treat My friends.’ 'Ah, my God! That is why You have so few of them!”

Another funny one is from the life of St. John Bosco. A couple of priests who thought he was ‘nuts’ for taking in street boys came to Don Bosco, thinking they were going to have him ‘committed’. When the three came outside, Don Bosco said, ‘After you, Fathers,’ and opened the door of their carriage. And as the two priests got in, Don Bosco slammed the carriage door and shouted to the driver, “To the asylum, quick!” It took a day or two for the priests to convince the asylum authorities that they were not the ‘crazy’ ones!

Never heard about the ‘little nun’s room’ joke with St. Teresa and the devil…that’s new to me! 😛
 
I’m not sure if Luke meant to be funny when he wrote in his* Acts of the Apostles* that according to Peter, the apostles couldn’t possibly be drunk because it was only the morning (Acts 2, 15) but it sure made me laugh.
 
I have a great devotion to and love for our late Holy Father, Pope John Paul II.

I know that he had a fabulous sense of humor. And this was very often displayed at World Youth Day. He loved to be among the young people and he so immersed himself in the joy of their youth… and they, in his fatherly love.

Now… this photo has been posted before in this forum… and if I remember, there were some people who found it to be somehow “inappropriate”. But for me… it is one of my very FAVORITE photo’s of John Paul II… because it shows his sense of humor and ability to be humble for Christ.

It also clearly shows… that one of the components of true sanctity… is a great sense of humor. God bless.

Hope this link works… I think it was taken at World Youth Day (but I could be wrong).

kidsister.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/rip_pope_john_paul_2.jpg
What a great photo! Thanks MV. And if any think it inappropriate - as St. Tof Avila said “Lord, please spare me your humourless saints”.

The link worked fine…and yes - a component of sanctity is a sense of humour hopefully since it is said to live with a saint, one would need to be a martyr. Although I have no idea who said it. I think another important component of holiness is not to make life in anyway difficult for those around us, for others…lest our ‘holiness’ cause others discomfort and a level of anxiety.

Thanks for the pic again…barb:)
 
Bump to top. Sorry. lol. I ❤️ this thread. Don’t wanna see it disappear yet. :o
 
Here’s a funny incident from my life.

I was talking to my brother about God in our bedroom (we shared a bedroom in the old house), and I commented that the Lord takes care of His People. Than I turned around and went right smack into the bedroom door.
 
Here’s a funny incident from my life.

I was talking to my brother about God in our bedroom (we shared a bedroom in the old house), and I commented that the Lord takes care of His People. Than I turned around and went right smack into the bedroom door.
:rotfl: Eucharisted… this is a whole 'nuther thread; Let’s call it… “Humor of FUTURE saints” :rotfl:

Sure hope you didn’t get hurt smacking into that door. 😉
 
Here’s a funny incident from my life.

I was talking to my brother about God in our bedroom (we shared a bedroom in the old house), and I commented that the Lord takes care of His People. Than I turned around and went right smack into the bedroom door.
That is hilarious!:rotfl:
I had a big problem that was giving me real headaches once and said to myself that I really must talk to The Lord before making any sort of decision and then distractedly reached for my mobile phone…oh for such a blessing!😃 …
 
That is hilarious!:rotfl:
I had a big problem that was giving me real headaches once and said to myself that I really must talk to The Lord before making any sort of decision and then distractedly reached for my mobile phone…oh for such a blessing!😃 …
Hehe, we can be so human at times. Thankfully God understands.
 
That is hilarious!:rotfl:
I had a big problem that was giving me real headaches once and said to myself that I really must talk to The Lord before making any sort of decision and then distractedly reached for my mobile phone…oh for such a blessing!😃 …
Barb, I’d like that NUMBER pleeeeeeeease… 😉

1-800-HEAVEN? 😃
 
Barb, I’d like that NUMBER pleeeeeeeease… 😉

1-800-HEAVEN? 😃
Actually so would I, MV!!!🤷 But I did sit there laughing for a while with my mobile in hand!..we are all in the Communion of Saints so to share our own personal funny moments/sayings can be in the terms of this thread…or so mefinks!!!😃 …it needs to be stated that ‘mefinks’ is not always correct!😃

,
 
Ok, here’s my “dumb” little moment… 😃

I was watching EWTN and they were advertising an upcoming Knights of Columbus TV event.

I clearly heard them say that they would be televising the “LIVE steak dinner”. I chuckled, and said out loud… “Who wants to watch a LIVE STEAK DINNER?”. 🤷

Then, I heard “a voice” inside of me, laugh… and say,… “NO, silly girl. Not STEAK dinner… STATE dinner”. :rotfl:

I’m convinced, that I gave my Guardian Angel a BIG belly laugh with that one, and he corrected me. :angel1: 😊
 
Here’s a funny incident from my life.

I was talking to my brother about God in our bedroom (we shared a bedroom in the old house), and I commented that the Lord takes care of His People. Than I turned around and went right smack into the bedroom door.
:rotfl:
Now that sounds very Teresan. Are you sure you aren’t a future Carmelite? 😛
That is hilarious!:rotfl:
I had a big problem that was giving me real headaches once and said to myself that I really must talk to The Lord before making any sort of decision and then distractedly reached for my mobile phone…oh for such a blessing!😃 …
Sounds like a homily one of our deacons gave (on the beatitudes). 😃
 
Hehe, we can be so human at times. Thankfully God understands.
Very often the most profound is found in astounding places! …even in a thread on saintly humour!
Thankfully God understands./
That is absolutely profound, Eucharisted! No one else may understand and insight, others may even criticize and condemn…but God always understands and somehow we know that He actually is and lives "where I and we are ‘coming from’ " and knows us intimately and all the why’s and wherefore’s that we may not be able to explain to others.

Yep! The Good God ALWAYS understands…👍

.
 
“I never intend, God being my good Lord, to pin my soul to another man’s back, not even the best man that I know this day living: for I know not where he may hap to carry it.” St Thomas More, Dialogue on Conscience, to his daughter.

He’s also alleged to have said on the scaffold as he moved his beard out of the way of the executioner’s axe, “My beard hath not committed treason”. More from (St Thomas) More here: thomasmorestudies.org/quotes.html

St Philip Neri was tired of being regarded as a saint so when people came to see him in his ‘nedo’ (nest i.e. room) he would say “Come in” and they’d find him reading a book of childish jokes. He also shaved half of his face, leaving the other half with stubble when going to an important meeting- so people would think he was an idiot!
 
Fulton Sheen, “Hearing nuns’ confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn.”
ROFL!!! O, my stomach hurts from laffing!!! I love Servant of God Archbishop Fulton Sheen and I’ve never heard this before! Thanks for sharing!

Simon
 
rofl! This thread is hilarious!

I love the story about a priest who was saying mass…

he got to the handshake of peace fine, but when he said “peace be with you” no sound came through the speakers! After fiddling with the mic for a few minutes he said announced a pretty loud voice “There seems to be something wrong with my microphone”

The entire congregation replied “And also with you”
 
Here’s an example of “be careful what you pray for:”

Hubs and I had a big argument a couple months ago because he’d scheduled his weekend so he couldn’t go to Mass - a college football game on Saturday, golf with dad Sunday morning, and Sunday evening a birthday gathering at a friends’ house.

At Mass Sunday morning, I prayed to God to do whatever it takes to get hubs to Mass.

Right after Mass, I got in my car and somehow managed to twist and pull a muscle in my back. It was excruciating. I was laid out for the rest of the day.

We couldn’t go to the birthday party.

Hubs went to Mass that night.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top