Saints and death

  • Thread starter Thread starter KendraDZ1902
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KendraDZ1902

Guest
I need some help, please. I have heard of saints who weren’t afraid and/or looked forward to death. Can someone tell me who these saints were? And maybe a quote or writing about it? Thanks. 🙂
 
I need some help, please.** I have heard of saints who weren’t afraid and/or looked forward to death.** Can someone tell me who these saints were? And maybe a quote or writing about it? Thanks. 🙂
I’m sure that applies to many many people and not just those who are canonised.
As for me, I don’t want to die soon but I’m not afraid of death coming.
 
I’m sure that applies to many many people and not just those who are canonised.
As for me, I don’t want to die soon but I’m not afraid of death coming.
I’m very sure it applies to a lot of people, myself included. I’m in therapy for anxiety and depression. Why they have diagnosed me with depression is because I told them that I look forward to death. They asked me if I planned on harming myself and I told them, “HECK NO, just Heaven will be much better than this place.” They all gave me a puzzled look on their face. They don’t get it. I just wanted something credible to give them so they don’t think I’m a nut case for not being afraid to die. lol.
 
St. Paul wrote (in Philippians 1:21-26):
For to me, living is Christ and dying is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me; and I do not know which I prefer. I am hard pressed between the two: my desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better; but to remain in the flesh is more necessary for you. Since I am convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with all of you for your progress and joy in faith, so that I may share abundantly in your boasting in Christ Jesus when I come to you again.
 
I’m very sure it applies to a lot of people, myself included. I’m in therapy for anxiety and depression. **Why they have diagnosed me with depression is because I told them that I look forward to death. They asked me if I planned on harming myself and I told them, “HECK NO, just Heaven will be much better than this place.” **They all gave me a puzzled look on their face. They don’t get it. I just wanted something credible to give them so they don’t think I’m a nut case for not being afraid to die. lol.
:rotfl:

Good one! 👍
 
I need some help, please. I have heard of saints who weren’t afraid and/or looked forward to death. Can someone tell me who these saints were? And maybe a quote or writing about it? Thanks. 🙂
These are saints who went to their death unafraid to bear witness to God. Some of them are:
St. Thomas Moore
St. Joan of Arc
St. Agnes
St. Lucy
St. John The Baptist
St. Peter

A very good book is “The lives of the Saints”. It can be purchaded through EWTN. Not that expensive either, for a two volume set.
 
I am not sure if ‘looking forward’ to death is the right expression, but many saints and martyrs where actually happy when their time came.

I recently had posted the story of St. John Roberts, which is only one of the examples and with quite amusing and inspiring ending.
Saint A Day(app):
John was born in Wales in 1577. Although he was not a Catholic, he was taught by an elderly priest. So, as he said later, he was always a Catholic at heart.

John went to Oxford University in England for a while. Even though he was a Protestant, his respect for the Catholic Church prevented him from signing the Oath of Supremacy, which denied the authority of the pope.

He had to leave Oxford, so he went to Paris, where he joined the Catholic Church. John lost no time after this in taking steps to become a priest. He went to an English college in Spain and became a Benedictine monk. His great dream of going back to England came true three years later. He and another monk were given permission to set out for that land.

They knew the dangers they would meet. In fact, they did not have long to wait before trouble began. They entered England wearing plumed hats and swords at their sides. Soon, however, they were arrested for being priests and sent out of the country.

St. John Roberts went back to London again in 1603 to help the thousands of people who fell victim to the plague. He worked day and night to keep the faith alive during a time when Catholics were persecuted mercilessly.

Several times he was captured, put in prison, and exiled, yet he always came back. The last time Father John was arrested, he was just finishing Mass and there would be no escape. When asked, he declared he was a priest and a monk. He explained that he had come to England to work for the salvation of the people. “Were I to live longer,” he added, “I would continue to do what I have been doing.” When he refused to sign the Oath of Supremacy, he was condemned to death.

**The night before he was to be hanged, a good Spanish lady arranged for him to be brought into the company of eighteen other prisoners. They were also suffering for their faith. During their supper together, St. John was full of joy. Then he thought perhaps he should not show so much happiness. “Do you think I may be giving bad example by my joy?” he asked his hostess. “No, certainly not,” she replied. “You could not do anything better than to let everyone see the cheerful courage you have as you are about to die for Christ.” **

The next day, December 10, 1610, St. John was hanged. He was canonized by Pope Paul VI in 1970 as one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.
 
These are saints who went to their death unafraid to bear witness to God. Some of them are:
…
St. Joan of Arc
…
Just to be historically precise - St. Joan of Arc was sentenced to be burned, but, in a moment of weakness, she recanted her testimony and confessed to her charges because of her fear. She subsequently withdrew her confession, and bravely faced her execution with no sign of fear. It is said that, upon her death, one of her (English Catholic) executioners exclaimed to another, “We have burned a Saint!”

Alas. Catholics burning Catholics. A sad chapter in Church history.
 
St. Ignatius of Antioch is the glaring example that comes to mind and really stands out.
 
Here is a link to St. Ignatius of Antioch’s Letter to the Romans. newadvent.org/fathers/0107.htm
Epistle to the Romans

Chapter 4. Allow me to fall a prey to the wild beasts

I write to the Churches, and impress on them all, that I shall willingly die for God, unless you hinder me. I beseech of you not to show an unseasonable good-will towards me. Allow me to become food for the wild beasts, through whose instrumentality it will be granted me to attain to God. I am the wheat of God, ….
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top