V
Valiente88
Guest
Hello
Perhaps some of you can offer your opinions here. I’m doing some research for an essay of mine and some of that addresses Hagiography, the study of the lives of holy exemplars of their respective faiths
It’s come to my notice however that while some Catholic saints while they undoubtedly did some great things, miraculous if you believe in episodes like the Marian apparitions some of them say some really, if I’m quite honest about how it reads to me bone chilling statements .
Taking St. Thomas Aquinas as a first, the writer of the Summa Theologica, a triumph of Catholic Doctrine and Aristotelian Philosophy. His word was undoubtedly enlightening, but within it we also find suggestions such as this…
Therefore if a man be dangerous and infectious to the community, on account of some sin, it is praiseworthy and healthful that he be killed in order to safeguard the common good, since "a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump
A good plan to ensure adherence to authority im sure, but isn’t this rather macarbe? How do you personally judge it? Is he held to the standard of the time, or an an absolute standard? (I promise I’m not looking to poke fun or attack Catholic faith here, I really just have no clue how things like this are understood by believers today).
Another one that struck me as unusual, so much so I had to check to make sure it wasn’t just a claim from anti Catholics; Catherine of Siena…
"Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him, but calmly lie down to rest on his bosom. He who rebels against our Father is condemned to death, for that which we do to him we do to Christ: we honor Christ if we honor the Pope; we dishonor Christ if we dishonor the Pope. I know very well that many defend themselves by boasting: “They are so corrupt, and work all manner of evil!” But God has commanded that, even if the priests, the pastors, and Christ-on-earth were incarnate devils, we be obedient and subject to them, not for their sakes, but for the sake of God, and out of obedience to Him.".
Now I may not have anything resembling the Papal Charism, but when I read about exemplars of a faith calling for ideological cleansing via the sword and potential reverence to the diabolic I can’t help but feel a little bit unnerved. I find similar thoughts in the writings of more modern saints as well like Escriva in “This Way”
"“Blessed be pain. Loved be pain. Sanctified be pain,Glorified be pain!” (In advocating daily self mortification)
Any and all responses are appreciated, thank you
Perhaps some of you can offer your opinions here. I’m doing some research for an essay of mine and some of that addresses Hagiography, the study of the lives of holy exemplars of their respective faiths
It’s come to my notice however that while some Catholic saints while they undoubtedly did some great things, miraculous if you believe in episodes like the Marian apparitions some of them say some really, if I’m quite honest about how it reads to me bone chilling statements .
Taking St. Thomas Aquinas as a first, the writer of the Summa Theologica, a triumph of Catholic Doctrine and Aristotelian Philosophy. His word was undoubtedly enlightening, but within it we also find suggestions such as this…
Therefore if a man be dangerous and infectious to the community, on account of some sin, it is praiseworthy and healthful that he be killed in order to safeguard the common good, since "a little leaven corrupteth the whole lump
A good plan to ensure adherence to authority im sure, but isn’t this rather macarbe? How do you personally judge it? Is he held to the standard of the time, or an an absolute standard? (I promise I’m not looking to poke fun or attack Catholic faith here, I really just have no clue how things like this are understood by believers today).
Another one that struck me as unusual, so much so I had to check to make sure it wasn’t just a claim from anti Catholics; Catherine of Siena…
"Even if the Pope were Satan incarnate, we ought not to raise up our heads against him, but calmly lie down to rest on his bosom. He who rebels against our Father is condemned to death, for that which we do to him we do to Christ: we honor Christ if we honor the Pope; we dishonor Christ if we dishonor the Pope. I know very well that many defend themselves by boasting: “They are so corrupt, and work all manner of evil!” But God has commanded that, even if the priests, the pastors, and Christ-on-earth were incarnate devils, we be obedient and subject to them, not for their sakes, but for the sake of God, and out of obedience to Him.".
Now I may not have anything resembling the Papal Charism, but when I read about exemplars of a faith calling for ideological cleansing via the sword and potential reverence to the diabolic I can’t help but feel a little bit unnerved. I find similar thoughts in the writings of more modern saints as well like Escriva in “This Way”
"“Blessed be pain. Loved be pain. Sanctified be pain,Glorified be pain!” (In advocating daily self mortification)
Any and all responses are appreciated, thank you