S
StephenL
Guest
Why do Catholics pray to the Saints?
The meanings of words can change. In English the term pray once commonly was used to mean I ask you. You are confusing it with the word worship.I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with the word Prayer in it. I would think Praying is something for God.
The prayer itself aims god, at least in it essence.I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with the word Prayer in it. I would think Praying is something for God.
The meanings of words can change. In English the term pray once commonly was used to mean I ask you. You are confusing it with the word worship.
People make supplications to other people all the time. We request help from one another. We even plead with one another.
Really, there are two reasons the word “pray” gets applied.
The point is, semantics aside, we’re really just asking them for intercession. The only difference (besides word choice) is that they’re already in Heaven. Otherwise, it’s little different than asking a friend down the street.
- It’s accurate by older definitions. (Fun fact: In the KJV, humans get prayed to as early as Genesis)
- The saints are in Heaven. So even in the modern definition where God is implied, the word gets used by analogy for communicating with anyone in Heaven.
No, there is one meaning, not two. It means to request something of someone, period. It does not matter their location. I pray you, means, I ask you. Please do this for me.
Really, there are two reasons the word “pray” gets applied.
The point is, semantics aside, we’re really just asking them for intercession. The only difference (besides word choice) is that they’re already in Heaven. Otherwise, it’s little different than asking a friend down the street.
- It’s accurate by older definitions. (Fun fact: In the KJV, humans get prayed to as early as Genesis)
- The saints are in Heaven. So even in the modern definition where God is implied, the word gets used by analogy for communicating with anyone in Heaven.
Intercession, its Biblical, and as far back as Abraham.Why do Catholics pray to the Saints?
Don’t know about praying to them, but the new testament tells us that the Saints have healing power. Christians talk to them, just like Jesus talked to Moses and Elijah, they are all alive.Why do Catholics pray to the Saints?
Correct. Except, in modern times, you don’t hear it used that way as often. In modern times, while it can still correctly be used to just mean “to ask” (such as how we Catholics will use it), many people use it to refer specifically to asking a higher power for something.No, there is one meaning, not two. It means to request something of someone, period. It does not matter their location. I pray you, means, I ask you. Please do this for me.
Yes and more specifically they think it means to worship.Correct. Except, in modern times, you don’t hear it used that way as often. In modern times, while it can still correctly be used to just mean “to ask” (such as how we Catholics will use it), many people use it to refer specifically to asking a higher power for something.
You are only partly correct. Prayers typically fall into one of four categories: adoration, contrition, thanksgiving, or supplication. Only prayers of adoration are exclusively reserved for God.I don’t have a problem with that. I have a problem with the word Prayer in it. I would think Praying is something for God.
You are only partly correct. Prayers typically fall into one of four categories: adoration, contrition, thanksgiving, or supplication. Only prayers of adoration are exclusively reserved for God.
That section (The Song of the Three Children) is actually one of my favorite parts of the Bible. It, Tobit, and Job.The deuterocanonical verses of Daniel, verses found in Catholic Bibles but typically not found in Jewish or Protestant Bibles, even contain a short prayer of supplication addressed to the saints:
Spirits and souls of the just, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever (Daniel 3:86)