R
robertmidwest
Guest
How are we to be the salt and light of the earth is we are constantly wringing our hands and asking “Is this a sin?”
Indeed, the Greatest Commandment is to love.How are we to be the salt and light of the earth is we are constantly wringing our hands and asking “Is this a sin?”
Would you say this applies to venial sins as well as mortal?+JMJ+
If this is a rhetorical question I’d say, “Exactly!”
But if you really are asking a legitimate question, well I really like the answer of one poster here: if you really are not absolutely positively sure it is a sin, then it is not.
The Catechism says:
CCC 1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience…
All three—reason, truth, and right conscience—must be violated before an act can be a sin. If one is not, then there is no sin.
The quote from the Catechism is incomplete. Taken out of context it has a different meaning than in the full context.+JMJ+
If this is a rhetorical question I’d say, “Exactly!”
But if you really are asking a legitimate question, well I really like the answer of one poster here: if you really are not absolutely positively sure it is a sin, then it is not.
The Catechism says:
CCC 1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience…
All three—reason, truth, and right conscience—must be violated before an act can be a sin. If one is not, then there is no sin.
II. THE DEFINITION OF SIN
1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121
1850 Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125
1851 It is precisely in the Passion, when the mercy of Christ is about to vanquish it, that sin most clearly manifests its violence and its many forms: unbelief, murderous hatred, shunning and mockery by the leaders and the people, Pilate’s cowardice and the cruelty of the soldiers, Judas’ betrayal - so bitter to Jesus, Peter’s denial and the disciples’ flight. However, at the very hour of darkness, the hour of the prince of this world,126 the sacrifice of Christ secretly becomes the source from which the forgiveness of our sins will pour forth inexhaustibly
No. They are asking online because if they ask their pastor or spiritual director they would probably hold them accountable and tell them are being scrupulous.They are asking online because they don’t have anybody else to ask.
Amen!!! I wonder how many pastors and spiritual directors tell people it’s a good idea to post their scrupulous questions on an internet forum?…they need encouragement to consult and follow their spiritual directors.
As the OP noted such is not a complete quote and thus has been taken here to mean something it does not.The Catechism says:
CCC 1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience…
All three—reason, truth, and right conscience—must be violated before an act can be a sin. If one is not, then there is no sin.
No not really.The quote from the Catechism is incomplete. Taken out of context it has a different meaning than in the full context.
CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”Would you say this applies to venial sins as well as mortal?
Maybe they don’t make one ineligible for Communion like mortal, but the way Teresa of Avila framed it in one quote (and I have similar thoughts) as being a “serious” matter when one intentionally goes against God – whether venial or mortal.
Usually we talk about “informed consent” but really, even if not regarding “grave matter”, would a venial sin – being a sin – still involve “fully informed consent”?
That would actually make sense to me, because I don’t see how an “accident” or a “I didn’t know” event can constitute an “intentional” sin.
The excerpt as noted by the OP needs the rest to be understood at to what it is discussing (meaning is seen in the context).MtnDwellar, Christians suffering from scruples must have as simple instructions as possible in discerning what is sinful and what is not. That is why I just posted that small excerpt from the Catechism which encompasses the rest of it.
And, as I said, is the same as what I posted.The excerpt as noted by the OP needs the rest to be understood at to what it is discussing (meaning is seen in the context).
Here is a good brief summary as to what is “sin”: from the Compendium issued by Pope Benedict XVI
392. What is sin?
Sin is “a word, an act, or a desire contrary to the eternal Law” (Saint Augustine). It is an offense against God in disobedience to his love. It wounds human nature and injures human solidarity. Christ in his passion fully revealed the seriousness of sin and overcame it with his mercy.
And
395. When does one commit a mortal sin?
One commits a mortal sin when there are simultaneously present: grave matter, full knowledge, and deliberate consent. This sin destroys charity in us, deprives us of sanctifying grace, and, if unrepented, leads us to the eternal death of hell. It can be forgiven in the ordinary way by means of the sacraments of Baptism and of Penance or Reconciliation.
**
396. When does one commit a venial sin?**
One commits a venial sin, which is essentially different from a mortal sin, when the matter involved is less serious or, even if it is grave, when full knowledge or complete consent are absent. Venial sin does not break the covenant with God but it weakens charity and manifests a disordered affection for created goods. It impedes the progress of a soul in the exercise of the virtues and in the practice of moral good. It merits temporal punishment which purifies.
vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html
As to those who struggle with scruples.
I will re -post a past post of mine
A person struggles with scruples - what ought they do?
A person with scrupulosity --ought to have a* “regular confessor” who can direct them --and even give them some general principles* to follow -to apply (principles for them due to their particular scruples -they are usually not for those with a normal conscience).
Thus with their direction they can “dismiss scruples” (in the older language despise them) - “act against them”.
Scruples are to be dismissed ~ not argued with.
To borrow and image from a Carthusian from centuries ago: Scruples *are like a barking dog or a hissing goose -one does not stop to argue with a barking dog or a hissing goose does one? * No one keeps walking.
Such ‘obedience’ to a regular confessor who knows of ones scruples (except in what is manifest sin - such as if he told them it was ok to murder someone or something certain like that) is key. Such is the age old practice.
Also counseling - could be helpful depending on the case -but one would want to look for a counselor who can assist one in following the Churches Teachings - not go contrary to them (I have heard CA staff mention catholictherapists.com/)
Here was a recent post from Jimmy Akin of CA that I saw in the Register and saved for those who struggle with such.
ncregister.com/blog/jimmy-akin/6-tools-for-the-scrupulous
To be brief: not exactly.And, as I said, is the same as what I posted. .
To be brief: as I noted the original post was not.And, as I said, is the same as what I posted.
.
Not the same.And, as I said, is the same as what I posted.
.
It was a rhetorical question. I was celebrating my 500th post.+JMJ+
If this is a rhetorical question I’d say, “Exactly!”