V
Veritas1994
Guest
I am starting this thread because there is some confusion in regards to what it means in regards to the teaching Extra Ecclesiam Nula Salus (There is no salvation outside the Church)
The above is a teaching that is often misinterpreted and often taken out of context by many Catholics and thus I think it is a good idea to start this thread and hopefully clear up a lot of misconceptions regarding this teaching.
I will add several posts. This one will be an introduction to the teaching and what it means in its most basic definition. Next I will post what this means in regards to the Church’s teaching on baptism. Lastly I will post what Catholic References in regards to priests, Canons, and the Catechisms of the Church has to say in regards to this. I hope this thread and these posts will clear up a lot of confusion
intro
First and foremost what this teaching is saying is that all salvation comes from Christ who is God. (John 14:6) I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.
Thus because Jesus is God this is saying that there is no salvation apart from Christ who is the savior. We can and only will ever be able to be saved from Christ.
Next we as Catholics no that Jesus founded his Church and not only that but gave Peter the keys which is his Divine Authority
(Matthew 16:18) "And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.
This means that all salvation comes from the Catholic Church which founded by Christ who saves gave the Church His authority including that of salvation. Since it is only Christ who can save, it is fitting that the Church which has the Divine Authority of Christ is the only Church that has the authority of salvation as well.
In the next post I will describe what this means in regards to baptism.
The above is a teaching that is often misinterpreted and often taken out of context by many Catholics and thus I think it is a good idea to start this thread and hopefully clear up a lot of misconceptions regarding this teaching.
I will add several posts. This one will be an introduction to the teaching and what it means in its most basic definition. Next I will post what this means in regards to the Church’s teaching on baptism. Lastly I will post what Catholic References in regards to priests, Canons, and the Catechisms of the Church has to say in regards to this. I hope this thread and these posts will clear up a lot of confusion
intro
First and foremost what this teaching is saying is that all salvation comes from Christ who is God. (John 14:6) I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.
Thus because Jesus is God this is saying that there is no salvation apart from Christ who is the savior. We can and only will ever be able to be saved from Christ.
Next we as Catholics no that Jesus founded his Church and not only that but gave Peter the keys which is his Divine Authority
(Matthew 16:18) "And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. And I will give to thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven. And whatsoever thou shalt bind upon earth, it shall be bound also in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose upon earth, it shall be loosed also in heaven.
This means that all salvation comes from the Catholic Church which founded by Christ who saves gave the Church His authority including that of salvation. Since it is only Christ who can save, it is fitting that the Church which has the Divine Authority of Christ is the only Church that has the authority of salvation as well.
In the next post I will describe what this means in regards to baptism.