F
franc1sc0
Guest
I am discussing Church teachings with a non Catholic and he asked me this.
“” I’ll ask you one question though- do you believe that an individual can attain eternal salvation by picking up a bible, reading the scriptures, and following the doctrine found there without any other resources?""
I am not sure what the Church’s teaching is on this. I think it is possible, but would be near impossible with our tendency to rationalize our sins and try and minimize their gravity.
He also tossed this out when I answered and quoted the Sacred Traditions vs bible only quotes.
""2 Tim 3 explicitly states that with the scriptures the man of God is “perfect” and “thoroughly furnished to every good work”. It mentions no other necessary thing for a Christian. “”
“” I’ll ask you one question though- do you believe that an individual can attain eternal salvation by picking up a bible, reading the scriptures, and following the doctrine found there without any other resources?""
I am not sure what the Church’s teaching is on this. I think it is possible, but would be near impossible with our tendency to rationalize our sins and try and minimize their gravity.
He also tossed this out when I answered and quoted the Sacred Traditions vs bible only quotes.
""2 Tim 3 explicitly states that with the scriptures the man of God is “perfect” and “thoroughly furnished to every good work”. It mentions no other necessary thing for a Christian. “”