Satan's Attempt To Keep Me From Confession

  • Thread starter Thread starter JDZwiers19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDZwiers19

Guest
I just got back from confession.

Two years ago I went for the first time in 15 years. It was probably my first honest confession ever.

After that confession I made a commitment to go every week. My next confession was 8 months later.

The time between my last one and this one was only 4 months. Better, but still far from my goal.

I have noticed something odd about my confessions. Every time I make a firm resolution to go, not a half hour before I leave all Hell breaks loose. Either my wife becomes irritated and I get into an argument or my kids start acting up or I get a work related call that causes me a great deal of stress. Whatever the case, it always devastates my presence of mind.

This evening both my kids had a complete melt down and my wife was shouting at them. Thankfully I was able to force myself oput the door (It wasn’t easy) and after driving a couple laps around the block was able to reclaim my composure and some semblance of a contrite heart.

This happens every single time. Coincidence? I think not.

Mixed with the usual feelings of doubt about the validity of my confession I now believe that Satan is throwing everything he has at me to keep me from the confessional.

Does anyone else have this experience?
 
I have found that the regular saturday afternoon posted times are just not good for me. I have 2 young children and a husband and a house to run and dinner to prepare…it just never works out for me.

For me, I find that calling or emailing the priest for an appt for a private confession is best. 1) It keeps me from backing out and making excuses not to go 2) it gives me plenty of time to prepare 3) I get much better feedback as there is no rushing to make time for others and there is no worring that others can hear what is being said. Also, we have the opportunity to really talk and get to the root of the issue.

While I know you are striving to go weekly, stay strong and continue to pray. You are doing great and making wonderful progress with this sacrament.
 
I have found that the regular saturday afternoon posted times are just not good for me. I have 2 young children and a husband and a house to run and dinner to prepare…it just never works out for me.

For me, I find that calling or emailing the priest for an appt for a private confession is best. 1) It keeps me from backing out and making excuses not to go 2) it gives me plenty of time to prepare 3) I get much better feedback as there is no rushing to make time for others and there is no worring that others can hear what is being said. Also, we have the opportunity to really talk and get to the root of the issue.

While I know you are striving to go weekly, stay strong and continue to pray. You are doing great and making wonderful progress with this sacrament.
Thank you very much for the support. My two kids are also very young and my wife is not catholic and sometimes dosen’t understand why I would leave her with two screaming kids to go and share all my personal faults with some strange guy in a robe. 🙂 She is mostly understanding though.

Our regular confession times are great for me. Right before Saturday evening mass and right before 9am Sunday mass. On top of that I live two blocks from my church so any excuse I come up with for not going is usually pretty weak, lol. Dispite the easy access I still struggle.🤷
 
I agree that it is not a coincidence. Congratulations on your efforts!

I try to go regularly to Confession, even though the sins are often the same. Over time, though, they are becoming less frequent, by the grace of God. I also find that the longer I go without confession, the more difficult it is to combat some of these temptations. It’s almost as though the “innoculation of grace” begins to wear off, for lack of a better comparison.

The only problem with confession is that I bump my head against the arches of the church, as I float out the confessional door. (I’m just kidding, of course, but this sacrament sure does take a load off!) So persist! The evil one does not like it one bit, but the angels in heaven are all smiles!

God bless,
Dan
 
I was a long time fallen away Catholic and I mean a really, really long time - when I fianlly got into the confessional it had been 40 years since I had made a good confession. Once the Holy Spirit put it into my mind and heart that I had to go to confession, the accuser began assaulting me incessantly. Satan is always working to create doubts and stumbling blocks as I was once quite a willing follower of his. Recognizing the liar for what he is is a big step in conversion. I have found that its necessary for me to go to Mass as often as possible, and to visit the Blessed Sacrament when I can’t get to Mass on weekdays because of my job time conflicting with Mass time.
 
I just got back from confession.
…

The time between my last one and this one was only 4 months. Better, but still far from my goal.
…

Whatever the case, it always devastates my presence of mind.

This evening both my kids had a complete melt down and my wife was shouting at them. Thankfully I was able to force myself oput the door (It wasn’t easy) and after driving a couple laps around the block was able to reclaim my composure and some semblance of a contrite heart.
Dear brother, firstly, welcome back to the Sacrament of Reconciliation. It is truly an occasion of supernatural grace. But, that evening could have been an occasion of even more extraordinary grace for you. As a father, you should not be “forcing yourself out the door” in the face of screaming kids. They are part of your vocation and your path to holiness.

Now, you alluded to some scrupulosity on your part. Have you been talking to your priest about this?
 
Our regular confession times are great for me. Right before Saturday evening mass and right before 9am Sunday mass. On top of that I live two blocks from my church so any excuse I come up with for not going is usually pretty weak, lol. Dispite the easy access I still struggle.🤷
Not knowing if your parish’s confession schedule was helping or hurting your cause, I was going to suggest you check the confession schedule at neighboring parishes. Those of use who live in cities big enough to have multiple parishes can benefit from variations in confession schedules. For example, the past few times I’ve gone to confession it hasn’t been at my parish on Saturday afternoons or at the Catholic school I work at on Thursday afternoons, but at a neighboring parish that on Tuesday evenings has Mass followed by a Holy Hour of Adoration during which confession is offered.
 
Congratulations on such a wonderful decision! I have found going to confession regularly to be an extraordinary help in my life. I am more at peace, happier and I am closer to God as a result. Trust me, you are doing your family a huge favor by doing this. Going to confession regularly makes you a better husband and father. Scott Hahn talks about this in his talk “The Healing Power of Confession”. If you are interested you can order it here:

aquinasandmore.com/catholic-gifts/Healing-Power-of-Confession/sku/8485

Would it be helpful at all to bring the kids along? I have seen parents bring their children along with them to confession. I am not familiar with your situation, and I am not married myself, but just a thought.

Also, when things come up that seem to be preventing you from going to Confession, consider that it may also be God testing you to see if you are truly making Him your highest priority in life. Say a prayer in the moment when it seems things are preventing you from getting to Confession.

I HIGHLY recommend the book “Frequent Confession” by Benedict Baur. I have found it very helpful in discovering the fruit of the practice of going to confession regularly.

I will pray for you!
 
But, that evening could have been an occasion of even more extraordinary grace for you. As a father, you should not be “forcing yourself out the door” in the face of screaming kids. They are part of your vocation and your path to holiness.

Now, you alluded to some scrupulosity on your part. Have you been talking to your priest about this?
I have been using my duties as a father and husband and my responsibilities at work as an excuse for not going. It always takes a firm act of resolve on my part to go to confession. If I let these things stop me I know I will never go. Or at least not as often as I should.

I would never neglect my family. The truth is that I am the one that does not feel like going when there are distractions. When things like this come up right before I leave I feel that I couldn’t be bothered by going. My wife knows it will only take a half hour and usually doesn’t mind. The strongest resistance to going is from myself. These distraction only intensify it and are not the cause.

I have considered speaking with my priest about my scrupulosity but it is usually temporary and I feel it is improving on its own. More regular confessions will help me more I am sure.
 
Thank you very much for the support. My two kids are also very young and my wife is not catholic and sometimes dosen’t understand why I would leave her with two screaming kids to go and share all my personal faults with some strange guy in a robe. 🙂 She is mostly understanding though.

Our regular confession times are great for me. Right before Saturday evening mass and right before 9am Sunday mass. On top of that I live two blocks from my church so any excuse I come up with for not going is usually pretty weak, lol. Dispite the easy access I still struggle.🤷
Tell her that strange guy in a robe works for God and is in direct commication with him.
 
Your experience isn’t uncommon.

I’ve seen too, after Confession, all Hell can break loose so as to lead you to sin immediately and lose the grace, peace, and good resolutions coming out of it.

Going every week is a habit that to form you have to pray and ask for the grace of and do your best at. Once it’s formed it’s a great and solid help to lean on, and then of course, the habit of virtue formed, these attempts to stop it are overcome much more easily.

A father’s spiritual duties to his family are primary, and how can you see to your family’s salvation if you lack grace yourself? One has to pray for one’s family, both for their virtues and spiritual protection from the devil, as a father, because one has authority over the family and these prayers are part of one’s primary duty, and most efficacious from the father of the family. When one has more grace, one will pray more pleasingly to God, and develop more virtues. 🙂

‘When one does not love prayer, it is morally impossible for him to resist his passions.’

St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori
 
I have been using my duties as a father and husband and my responsibilities at work as an excuse for not going. It always takes a firm act of resolve on my part to go to confession. If I let these things stop me I know I will never go. Or at least not as often as I should.

I would never neglect my family. The truth is that I am the one that does not feel like going when there are distractions. When things like this come up right before I leave I feel that I couldn’t be bothered by going. My wife knows it will only take a half hour and usually doesn’t mind. The strongest resistance to going is from myself. These distraction only intensify it and are not the cause.

I have considered speaking with my priest about my scrupulosity but it is usually temporary and I feel it is improving on its own. More regular confessions will help me more I am sure.
Thank you for responding. I am glad that your are being faithful to your duties as a father and husband.

From my reading of your OP, I assumed that you returned from confession to the scene in your home, and then went out again for a couple laps.
 
Thank you for responding. I am glad that your are being faithful to your duties as a father and husband.

From my reading of your OP, I assumed that you returned from confession to the scene in your home, and then went out again for a couple laps.
Hey, no problem. Thanks for the support and advise. I like to think i am a good husband and father but I can only say that because of my recent found love for the church. I know from experiance how much my family can suffer from my own spiritual weakness. The grace I recieve from the sacrements transfers to my whole family, that much is clear to me. I would never have to leave my family after reconciliation. I feel like I could face anything afterwards.

My struggleswith going seem quite irrational to me when I think about them.
 
Tell her that strange guy in a robe works for God and is in direct commication with him.
I do every time. Do you have any advice on how to convince a skeptic? Especially when it is someone dear to you?
 
I do every time. Do you have any advice on how to convince a skeptic? Especially when it is someone dear to you?
First of all I agree with you that satan tries to keep us away. people coming back to the faith he doesn’t want to lose. you have to block the distractions and remember the soul needs grace and forgiveness. It is an act of the will – just go!!!

I think it was St. Francis said something like – we should preach often and only sometimes us words.

You being a role model and living your faith is the best way to convince. There is nothing greater than exercising your free will for God’s glory.

God Bless.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top