Saturday Vigil Mass for Sunday

  • Thread starter Thread starter MaryLiz410
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MaryLiz410

Guest
I know that the definition of VIGIL MASS is * a Mass held on Saturday evening, attendance at which fulfils one’s obligation to attend Mass on Sunday/] is true and correct. However, is a vigil mass considered a mass of Saturday or a mass of Sunday when it comes to recieving Holy Communion more than once a day as explained in Cannon Law #917? (EX: A person attends Saturday morning mass, a funeral mass in mid morning, and the Saturday evening vigil mass for his Sunday obligation.) Where can I find confirmation of your answer. 🎉*
 
I know that the definition of VIGIL MASS is * a Mass held on Saturday evening, attendance at which fulfils one’s obligation to attend Mass on Sunday/] is true and correct. However, is a vigil mass considered a mass of Saturday or a mass of Sunday when it comes to recieving Holy Communion more than once a day as explained in Cannon Law #917*? (EX: A person attends Saturday morning mass, a funeral mass in mid morning, and the Saturday evening vigil mass for his Sunday obligation.) Where can I find confirmation of your answer. 🎉

For purposes of determining the number of times one can receive communion one goes by calendar days (midnight to midnight), not by whatever obligation to attend Mass one is fulfilling.

There was a recent thread on this topic (with lots of different opinions). I’ll see if I can find it.
 
However, is a vigil mass considered a mass of Saturday or a mass of Sunday when it comes to recieving Holy Communion more than once a day as explained in Cannon Law #917? (EX: A person attends Saturday morning mass, a funeral mass in mid morning, and the Saturday evening vigil mass for his Sunday obligation.) Where can I find confirmation of your answer. 🎉
Your question has been well-answered, above.
I know that the definition of VIGIL MASS is * a Mass held on Saturday evening, attendance at which fulfils one’s obligation to attend Mass on Sunday/] is true and correct.*

But this is not quite true and correct.

A VIGIL MASS is a proper Mass (ie with distinct prayers, readings, et cetera) which is celebrated the evening before certain feasts. There are a handful of VIGIL MASSES in the current missal.

The typical Sunday-Mass-celebrated-on-Saturday-evening is properly named an ANTICIPATED MASS.

Any Mass (vigil, anticipated, ritual, votive, et cetera) celebrated during the evening of the day preceding a day on which the faithful are obligated to assist at Mass, fulfills that obligation.

tee
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top