L
lunarknight
Guest
I know it might seem off topic however…
why was Saul’s name changed to Paul?
why was Saul’s name changed to Paul?
From the Catholic Encyclopaedia,I know it might seem off topic however…
why was Saul’s name changed to Paul?
Well there’s no Biblical evidence to support your idea. To tell the truth, I think that it actually takes away somewhat from the special position of Peter as the first of the apostles.I didn’t think it was a language difference. Could just be my ignorance. According to my wife, it’s rampant.
I can think of other times that God changed somebody’s name.
Abram to Abraham
Simon to Peter
Saul to Paul ← or so I thought
I figured the significance of this was the covenant between that person and God.
A very significant covenant for all three examples above.
My thinking only, but I figured that this was the same reason that upon becoming pope, a man will take a new name.
I wonder if this also fits for the saint name (middle name) that we each take.
Kind of like a ‘new name in Christ’.
Like after becoming tied to God, you are a different person.
(shrug) … just my ramblings.
michel
Hmmmmmm…quite intresting might I might say…From the Catholic Encyclopaedia,
As a Roman citizen he also bore the Latin name of Paul. It was quite usual for the Jews of that time to have two names, one Hebrew, the other Latin or Greek, between which there was often a certain assonance and which were joined together exactly in the manner made use of by St. Luke (Acts 13:9: Saulos ho kai Paulos). See on this point Deissmann, “Bible Studies” (Edinburgh, 1903, 313-17.) It was natural that in inaugurating his apostolate among the Gentiles Paul should have adopted his Roman name, especially as the name Saul had a ludicrous meaning in Greek.
So Paul never actually changed his name; Paul was just the Latin version of the Hebrew Saul. A transliteration, I guess.
Excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I’ve always wondered why, unlike Abraham and Peter, Jacob was hardly referred to as Israel.Well there’s no Biblical evidence to support your idea. To tell the truth, I think that it actually takes away somewhat from the special position of Peter as the first of the apostles.
By the way, another example is Jacob → Israel.
Is he not? I’ve never done a word count, but I thought he was referred to as Israel quite a bit. I suppose that unlike Abraham and Peter, Israel is also the name of the Jewish nation so there could be some ambiguity in calling him Israel instead of Jacob. I just thought that he often was referred to as Israel…?Excuse me for hijacking the thread, but I’ve always wondered why, unlike Abraham and Peter, Jacob was hardly referred to as Israel.