F
FromTheAshes777
Guest
Greetings all,
I was reading up on the theology of the Sacraments of the Church and I have a question. I understand that for a Sacrament to be valid it must have proper form, matter, and intention.
I have read in numerous places that in regards to intention for the Sacrament of Baptism that the minister who is doing Baptism must intend to “do what the Church does” in order for the Baptism to be valid. I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church and was Baptized there when I was 10 years old. I have not yet been formally recieved as a Catholic though my faith is turning more and more in that direction.
Would I need to be conditionally Baptized before I was recieved into the Church? I actually have a VHS tape of my Baptism and can probably obtain a letter from my old church stating I was baptized if needed. My thinking though, is that the minister who did my Baptism believed that my Baptism was only a symbol and was not doing what the Church does when She Baptizes. Is there a lack of intention when it comes to the Baptisms of Churches who believe that Baptism is symbolic only and not a Sacrament?
Thank you all in advance for you responses, I can’t believe I just now thought of this after studying and reading for so long.
Due to the lack of intention, would my SBC baptism still be a valid Sacrament?
I was reading up on the theology of the Sacraments of the Church and I have a question. I understand that for a Sacrament to be valid it must have proper form, matter, and intention.
I have read in numerous places that in regards to intention for the Sacrament of Baptism that the minister who is doing Baptism must intend to “do what the Church does” in order for the Baptism to be valid. I grew up in a Southern Baptist Church and was Baptized there when I was 10 years old. I have not yet been formally recieved as a Catholic though my faith is turning more and more in that direction.
Would I need to be conditionally Baptized before I was recieved into the Church? I actually have a VHS tape of my Baptism and can probably obtain a letter from my old church stating I was baptized if needed. My thinking though, is that the minister who did my Baptism believed that my Baptism was only a symbol and was not doing what the Church does when She Baptizes. Is there a lack of intention when it comes to the Baptisms of Churches who believe that Baptism is symbolic only and not a Sacrament?
Thank you all in advance for you responses, I can’t believe I just now thought of this after studying and reading for so long.
Due to the lack of intention, would my SBC baptism still be a valid Sacrament?