Scapular Question

  • Thread starter Thread starter st_lucy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

st_lucy

Guest
I hope I have this post in the right place.

I was wondering that since scapulars are not technically blessed, when they brake do we still bury/ burn them, or can we just throw them out?

Thank you for your help.
 
I hope I have this post in the right place.

I was wondering that since scapulars are not technically blessed, when they brake do we still bury/ burn them, or can we just throw them out?

Thank you for your help.
Scapulars are sacramentals. Most are already blessed. If not, they should be blessed. When they break, they should still be buried or burned. They are not to be thrown out as refuse.
 
I’d like to post my opnion on this subject.

Is there anything written anywhere that says you have to “get rid” of a scapular? That sounds like disposing of something unwanted, like a used Kleenex.

I don’t “get rid” of my worn scapulars. I don’t dispose of them, either. I wrap them carefully and lovingly and put them away in the box where I keep my rosaries and prayer cards. It isn’t like I have to rent a storage unit for them. They’re small and they have value to me in that I humbly wore them for Our Lady for a year or more (thank you, Rose Scapular Company for making such well-sewn scapulars!).

I’m sure someone will post a quote from somewhere to show how mistaken I am, but I just can’t recommend “getting rid” of a worn scapular. I just wouldn’t want to. What’s the benefit of disposing of a scapular by burning or burying? None that I can think of. Dogs bury bones, people burn cigarettes. Neither method is very reverent or respectful, is it? But keeping something tucked away and next to rosaries and prayer cards is, in my humble opinion, respectful and loving. 🙂
 
I’d like to post my opnion on this subject.

Is there anything written anywhere that says you have to “get rid” of a scapular? That sounds like disposing of something unwanted, like a used Kleenex.

I don’t “get rid” of my worn scapulars. I don’t dispose of them, either. I wrap them carefully and lovingly and put them away in the box where I keep my rosaries and prayer cards. It isn’t like I have to rent a storage unit for them. They’re small and they have value to me in that I humbly wore them for Our Lady for a year or more (thank you, Rose Scapular Company for making such well-sewn scapulars!).

I’m sure someone will post a quote from somewhere to show how mistaken I am, but I just can’t recommend “getting rid” of a worn scapular. I just wouldn’t want to. What’s the benefit of disposing of a scapular by burning or burying? None that I can think of. Dogs bury bones, people burn cigarettes. Neither method is very reverent or respectful, is it? But keeping something tucked away and next to rosaries and prayer cards is, in my humble opinion, respectful and loving. 🙂
Of course you don’t have to discard them! You are allowed to keep them. Remember, they are still pieces of clothing. You can keep them. It’s not sacrilegious if you don’t want to dispose of them.

Some people bury them in their yard, which has the added benefit of having a blessed object around their house.
 
I’d like to post my opnion on this subject.

Is there anything written anywhere that says you have to “get rid” of a scapular? That sounds like disposing of something unwanted, like a used Kleenex.

I don’t “get rid” of my worn scapulars. I don’t dispose of them, either. I wrap them carefully and lovingly and put them away in the box where I keep my rosaries and prayer cards. It isn’t like I have to rent a storage unit for them. They’re small and they have value to me in that I humbly wore them for Our Lady for a year or more (thank you, Rose Scapular Company for making such well-sewn scapulars!).

I’m sure someone will post a quote from somewhere to show how mistaken I am, but I just can’t recommend “getting rid” of a worn scapular. I just wouldn’t want to. What’s the benefit of disposing of a scapular by burning or burying? None that I can think of. Dogs bury bones, people burn cigarettes. Neither method is very reverent or respectful, is it? But keeping something tucked away and next to rosaries and prayer cards is, in my humble opinion, respectful and loving. 🙂
But at some point you will have to dispose of them, unless you intend to repair them and give them away. You cannot just leave them to your estate, in hopes that someone will care for them?
 
But at some point you will have to dispose of them, unless you intend to repair them and give them away. You cannot just leave them to your estate, in hopes that someone will care for them?
Point well made, and I appreciate it because I it’s something I hadn’t considered. But I also have several blessed rosaries, my Christian Prayer and Little Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary books, and several medals, etc. that I don’t intend to ever give away. I’m keeping them, too, and yes, I’m hoping someone will take care of them. Since my only heirs are Catholic, too, I don’t believe I need to worry! 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top