Schoenfield's "Authentic New Testament"

  • Thread starter Thread starter srlucado
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

srlucado

Guest
Among much discussion about Bible translations, I haven’t seen a mention of Hugh Schoenfield’s “The Authentic New Testament”.

Is anyone familiar with this translation? I see that a used copy in paperback is selling on Amazon for close to a thousand dollars–can it really be that desirable a book?
 
Schonfield (note the spelling) later revised it in 1985 as The Original New Testament and you can buy it for $10 used from Amazon.

There are minor changes to the source text; you can read a three page review here. I don’t think the translation is exceptional, although I am sure it has some merits.

If you are interested in idiosyncratic/literary versions of the New Testament, I would suggest the versions of Richard Lattimore or the recent translation by Willis Barnstone. While they are not orthodox, they are at least well written.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top