L
Leibniz
Guest
“If we knew nothing about the universe except that the Catholic God created it, what sort of expectations would we have about that universe?”
I don’t think this is a coherent question to ask, because the Catholic God is necessarily the God of human history, a history that includes group consequences for the entire race of mankind due to the sin of Adam and Eve. (Frank J. Sheed has the best explanation that I have come across on how such apparently unfair group punishment could be optimal, in his book “Theology and Sanity.”)
“No one is ever willing to hang their theology on a prediction of the universe that may turn out to be incorrect. Instead they simply resort to saying: “see how the universe is, that’s exactly what God would have done.” Unfortunately, that leaves nothing for science to confirm or deny.”
Well I think I just did with my prediction earlier in this thread about why I think attempts at creating artificial machine intelligence/self-awareness will always fail.
The most difficult things for Christians to account for are: (1) the apparent absence of God such that you cannot experimentally verify His presence or intervention anywhere; and (2) the apparently physical basis for human consciousness.
If every time you line up physical molecules in a particular way, a conscious self-aware being is the result, then it becomes difficult to believe in a God that breathes spirit into man, rather than believing that “spirit” or consciousness is just some ambient part of the cosmic background that exists everywhere, which is what Buddhists believe.
I don’t think this is a coherent question to ask, because the Catholic God is necessarily the God of human history, a history that includes group consequences for the entire race of mankind due to the sin of Adam and Eve. (Frank J. Sheed has the best explanation that I have come across on how such apparently unfair group punishment could be optimal, in his book “Theology and Sanity.”)
“No one is ever willing to hang their theology on a prediction of the universe that may turn out to be incorrect. Instead they simply resort to saying: “see how the universe is, that’s exactly what God would have done.” Unfortunately, that leaves nothing for science to confirm or deny.”
Well I think I just did with my prediction earlier in this thread about why I think attempts at creating artificial machine intelligence/self-awareness will always fail.
The most difficult things for Christians to account for are: (1) the apparent absence of God such that you cannot experimentally verify His presence or intervention anywhere; and (2) the apparently physical basis for human consciousness.
If every time you line up physical molecules in a particular way, a conscious self-aware being is the result, then it becomes difficult to believe in a God that breathes spirit into man, rather than believing that “spirit” or consciousness is just some ambient part of the cosmic background that exists everywhere, which is what Buddhists believe.