Mike from NJ - Reading all your extensive comments on mistakes in the Bible, I’m puzzled as to why you are on this website & why you are spending so much time in your replies, since you are an atheist. I see that you were raised as Roman Catholic by wonderful parents. It seems their parenting was good, so why do you feel it is necessary to bash the Catholic faith that we truly believe?
I think the part of your question where you wrote “truly believe” is the key. I don’t doubt the
sincerity of believers either online or off, but I question if one truly believes if one is using false information or ignores information contrary to their beliefs. I’m not here to get anyone to give up their beliefs, but I do want people to approach those beliefs honestly.
The original poster asked whether the Bible contained scientific mistakes and whether these items should be apporached as metaphor. There were people who told him there were no scientific mistakes in the Bible, and I felt it necessary to probide the alternate viewpoint. That’s why this is a forum.
In a similar vein, there are many people out there who believe in the supernatural (such as ghosts, tarot, dowsing, ESP, ouija boards). There are others like James Randi who debunk claims of supernatural phenomena. He is often asked why bother doing all he does if for most it does little harm. He’ll note that it’s important to try and know as much about the world as possible, to discern what is true. If you research him you’ll find he never says the supernatural isn’t real (since like religion it is unprovable and unfalsifiable) but that there is no evidence of it and we must understand that when determining what is and what is not true,
To take it another why, I live in the United States. I am an American who is proud of this country. At the same time the country has many marks in its history. There are those out there who don’t wish to acknowledge those dark events. The patriotism of those people is flawed if they only see what they wish to see. It’s the same way with religion. It’s important to see the ups and downs, to acknowledge the flaws and contradictions that they bring to the table.
As to why I’m spending so much time in my posts, that’s just how I am. I feel that clarity is more important than brevity (although I strive for both). The last thing I want to do is say something muddled and then have to return back to it later with “What I meant to say…” Another reason is that these topics get broader and broader as each person will often go off on tangents. I want to address as much as I can with each post, not leaving it up in the air as to my position on each point.
Again, I’m not here to “bash” what anyone believes and I’m not trying to get people to give up christianity. But I will bash hypocricy, and I will bash inconsistency, and I will bash contradictions. Truth can withstand the rigors of such bashing, and if faith persists afterward than it is both stronger and truer.
I suspect the answer to that my friend, is that there is nothing one can truly do positive as an atheist,
I’m sorry. Did you just write that an atheist can’t do positive? That no atheist has or does anything postive whether it be in the fields of medicine, charity, science, economics, teaching, entertainment, the military, or any other field?
You’re going to need to clarify that statement because there are many atheists who have added positively to us all.
it is only possible to truly be an atheist by being a negative of the positive. It is impossible to explain atheism without continuously employing the word “no” (certainly not by being reticent or reluctant) and the only way to say “no”, is if there is a “yes”.
One of the classic explanations as to why that makes no sense is the idea of the “aunicornist”. I’m assuming that you don’t believe in unicrons. If so that makes you an “aunicornist”.
The thing is no one believes there are unicorns. The term, while accurate, isn’t used because there is no need to use it. Now imagine that there were billions of people out there who believed in unicorns. They wanted it taught in schools and wanted our governments to state that unicorns are real. Now the term “aunicornist” has weight. If you loved truth you would work to show that there were no unicorns, yet by your reasoning the only way to say “no” to unicorns is if there is a “yes”.
