As others have said, we would need more specific information in order to make a reasonable judgement. However, there are certain things which are unacceptable for a priest to communicate from the pulpit - for example, as japhy said, pointing out an individual because they arrived late for Mass. Unfortunately, this sort of thing was quite common in Irish churches in the not too distant past - it does no one any favours to have a parishioner humiliated, and if the subject matter of the “homily” doesn’t benefit the spiritual welfare of the people, then it belongs elsewhere.
On the other hand, I have been glad on a number of occasions when my parish priest stopped during his homily to ask people to stop talking. He told them that we can handle noise from babies and younger children, but for adults to be talking during the Mass is unacceptable. To be honest, I couldn’t believe my ears - because I think many priests are reluctant to put their foot down on various issues these days - but I was delighted that he did what he did. So there are certainly occasions where where it is entirely appropriate and necessary to admonish certain people in the congregation. Whatever happens though, humiliating a person is a big no-no.