Scott Hahn and "fallible collection of infallible documents"

• Thread starter Thread starter Peter_Jericho
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting post, @lanman87.

You’re accepting my position that it was a process punctuated by councils defining the canon authoritatively.

I don’t see how this bears out your contention that the NT canon was already defined by consensus in the Apostolic Age.
I kind of like your first paragraph.

Not sure the second jives with what lanman87 posted, that there was consensus of 27 books in apostolic age (33-100 ad). …consensus on gospels yes, as he posted but 27? …never heard that one

Thank you for your kind words, @mcq72.

However, my question was meant as:

Who decides which successors to follow?

By the year 300 or so it seems that most of the disputed books had been discarded as spurious.
Not according to the growth pattern on the chart i posted above. Why does everyone want to dismiss the growth trajectory?
There was a firm consensus of the other books of the New Testament
Except for the few you listed. The LACK of consensus in these few is the only issue we are addressing.
But by the middle of the 4th Century we see a consensus develop on the other books as well,
Thanks to the early councils. Without the consideration of the councils one must reconsider the growth trajectory as stated and illustrated above.
As evidenced by Athanasius and his Paschal letter and the regional councils of Hippo and Carthage in the late 4th Century. Augustine held great sway with pretty much the entire church in the West and his opinion on the canon ended up being what Jerome translated into Latin which pretty much solidified the canon in the West.
Can you give us an alternate reason why these some of these same fathers were Present at the councils? Can you tell us what the purpose of the councils were if not to curtail the growth of books? Do you believe the councils were figments of Catholic imaginations?

Peace!!!

As an Evangelical. I believe the New Testament came together by the will of God through the people of God (the church). And that, over time, a consensus among the various local churches was reached as to what is “God breathed”, what was true to the teachings of the apostles, and what was the “voice of God”.
The thing is, that’s precisely what so many Evangelicals – especially the more fundamentalist-leaning ones – very pointedly cannot believe.

You’re accepting my position that it was a process punctuated by councils defining the canon authoritatively.

I don’t see how this bears out your contention that the NT canon was already defined by consensus in the Apostolic Age.
Not exactly, I do agree the defining of the canon was a process. However, there was no single council that defined the canon for the entire church. The councils of Hippo and Carthage only defined the canon for North Africa. However, Athanasius from Alexandria and later Augustine from Hippo were towering figures in the western church. Augustine was over the councils of Hippo and Carthage. So whatever disputes over books that were left probably went away when Augustine’s list of books from Hippo and Carthage became known. Not because Augustine had authority over all the western churches (he didn’t) but because of his reputation.

The Eastern Church is a different story. They were not under the jurisdiction of Augustine and and didn’t think as highly of him as the western churches. Yet they independently ended up with the same 27 books. It took longer, but in the end, they came to a consensus with the western churches. That is a miracle in and of itself because there was always tension between the Western and Eastern churches.

And I never said that there was a fixed canon in the Apostolic age. I said that the Apostolic fathers quoted New Testament Scripture as Scripture, long before any council took up the matter. So there had to be something in those writings that stood out as being scripture and there had to be a certain common understanding among them as to what was and was not authoritative.

I’ve seen many Catholics on this board claim that the church didn’t have the New Testament until the end of the 4th Century. Well, that is only a partial truth. The church had the four gospels, Acts, Romans, Both Corinthian books, Galatians, Ephesians, Philippians, Colossians, Both letters to the Thessalonians. both letters to Timothy, Titus, and Philemon. So 18 of the 27 books were considered authoritative scripture by everyone, even in the early 2nd Century. So it is not like the early church was left to fend for themselves without authoritative and agreed upon New Testament Scripture to guide them.

In the end I believe these specific 27 books ended up as canon, not because man chose them, but because God ordained it. It was a long and winding road before all the churches (both and east and west) accepted all the same New Testament books. But they did, because it was the will of God for them to do so.

Not according to the growth pattern on the chart i posted above. Why does everyone want to dismiss the growth trajectory?
Because it is a partial truth. Just because something was read in the early church doesn’t mean they considered it as equal to scripture. I’m sure some of the letters and sermons from church fathers were read to congregations, but nobody considered them scripture. From what I’ve read, there were only around 10 other books that the early church pondered on if they may rise to the level of scripture.

This is a quote from the BlueLetterBible.org website.

There were a number of books written early in the history of the church that gained some sort of canonical status by at least one church father, or are found in at least one of the important ancient Greek manuscripts that contain the New Testament, or are found in some printed Bibles.

They include: The Letter of Clement, the Second Letter of Clement, The Letter of Barnabas, The Shepherd of Hermas, The Didache, The Apocalypse of Peter, The Acts of Paul and Thecla, The Letter to the Laodiceans, and Third Corinthians.

These writings, however, were never seriously considered to be canonical by the majority of Christians.

Last edited:
@lanman87, it’s true that there was a core corpus around which the NT canon developed. But, it seems that you’re ignoring that there were several texts that nearly made it; like 1 Clement, Barnabas and Shepherd of Hermas.

Again, it took several councils to definitively declare what the canon was and that took discernment by men, guided by the Holy Spirit; to determine the canon.

Perhaps the exreme reply that the personal voice of God is all that is needed in discerning God breathed books is meant to offset the other extreme, that only an infallible magisterium via a church council can do so.

I like how some churches have done what the Jews of Jesus time exemplified
, or the OT Jews in general. They did not have a big pow wow as to what books to deem inspired, and yet they seemed to have a good enough consensus, and took meticulous care in their preservation. Jesus seemed to be ok with that .
Mt 23:2-3 The scribes and the Pharisees have taken their seat on the chair of Moses . Therefore, do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you , but do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.

[OT seat on the chair of Moses, NT seat on the chair of Peter ]
Yes and “ beware of their leaven (bad doctrine) ”.
do and observe all things whatsoever they tell you … the ‘ beware ’ would be the next part – do not follow their example. For they preach but they do not practice.

So the ‘ doctrine ’ would be part of the ‘ do and observe ’ part.
Except for bad doctrine, do not partake of such leaven.
Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the RULE OVER YOU, and SUBMIT yourselves : for they watch for your souls , as they that must give account , that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

Lk 10:16 Whoever listens to you listens to ME . Whoever rejects you rejects me. And whoever rejects me rejects the one who sent me.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the LORD with all your heart ,

on your own intelligence do not rely ;

In all your ways be mindful of him,

and he will make straight your paths .

Who are we to decide what is ‘bad doctrine’. Is it due to our personal interpretation? Wouldn’t that be dangerous?

Blessings!

Last edited:
it’s true that there was a core corpus around which the NT canon developed. But, it seems that you’re ignoring that there were several texts that nearly made it; like 1 Clement, Barnabas and Shepherd of Hermas.

Again, it took several councils to definitively declare what the canon was and that took discernment by men, guided by the Holy Spirit; to determine the canon.
Like I said, there was no single council that defined the canon for the entire church. And I seriously doubt that the Councils of Hippo and Carthage debated if the Letter to Clement or the Shepherd of Hermas or the other books that had in the past been considered by a minority as scripture should be included in their list of books. Most likely they just listed the books that were being used at the time by the North African churches.

lanman87, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this thread. If I may read between the lines of your posts, ISTM that you would prefer the approach of the Eastern Orthodox over that of Roman Catholics. But, without getting too deeply into that distinction, I would suggest that either approach is compatible with what Dr. Hahn was saying in that portion of “Rome Sweet Home”. (Not particularly surprising, since it describes a point in his journey when he had not yet begun to make a decision between Catholicism and Orthodoxy, but had already come to realize that Evangelical Protestantism is wrong.)

@lanman87,

As edifying as this conversation has been, you seem to remain stuck on insisting on a consensus that wasn’t there as it took several councils to hammer out the canon. If there was consensus, why the need for councils to define the canon?

Because it is a partial truth. Just because something was read in the early church doesn’t mean they considered it as equal to scripture
Sure it does. Read their accounts.

Ianman you are not addressing the facts. You would rather interject other’s opinion rather than addressing the facts in evidence, precisely, the growth trajectory shown above and the historicity of councils. Please address these facts before interjecting opinions.

With the actual growth where is the consensus?
What was the purpose of the councils? Why were there 3 councils dealing with this issue?

You must answer these questions before a respectful conversation can continue.

Peace!!!

Thanks to the early councils. Without the consideration of the councils one must reconsider the growth trajectory as stated and illustrated above.
As to the chart, it does not say such books were considered scripture but only that they were used in any kind of " liturgy"…also does not show what happened to use of said books
in liturgy after canon was decreed by councils just before 400 ad…the chart stops there

You would rather interject other’s opinion
I’m interjecting the opinions of scholars and historians, who have spent their life studying church history and the development of the New Testament. They are much more qualified than I am to make any argument and their opinion is based on research and scholarship.

For example this: The Entire Paper Can Be Read Here

The NT Canon in the Third and Fourth Centuries

By the third century there is a noticeable increase in citations from the “inspired” writings that eventually become the New Testament, and far less citations from works that do not make it into the New Testament. The most prolific third century writers are Tertullian (already mentioned), Hippolytus of Rome, Origen of Alexandria and Cyprian of Carthage.An explosion of Christian literature comes in the fourth century with Lactantius, Eusebius of Caesarea, Athanasius of Alexandria, and the Cappadocian Fathers (Basil of Caesarea, his brother Gregory of Nyssa, and Gregory Nazianzus), John Chrysostom, Jerome, Rufinus, and the great Augustine of Hippo (his Confessions was written in 396-97 AD). All of these writers illustrate how the New Testament had become settled with thousands of citations from the 27 “inspired” writings and fewer citations outside that list.

The Official Canon
Many people think the New Testament writings were agreed upon at the Council of Nicea. There were 20 canons (church rules) voted on at Nicea – none dealt with sacred writings. The first historical reference listing the exact 27 writings in the orthodox New Testament is in the Easter Letter of Athanasius in 367 AD. His reference states that these are the only recognized writings to be read in a church service. The first time a church council ruled on the list of “inspired” writings allowed to be read in church was at the Synod of Hippo in 393 AD. No document survived from this council – we only know of this decision because it was referenced at the third Synod of Carthage in 397 AD. Even this historical reference from Carthage, Canon 24, does not “list” every single document. For example, it reads, “the gospels, four books…” The only reason for this list is to confirm which writings are “sacred” and should be read in a church service. There is no comment as to why and how this list was agreed upon.

Conclusion
The New Testament developed, or evolved, over the course of the first 250-300 years of Christian history. No one particular person made the decision. The decision was not made at a church council. The particular writings that became those of the New Testament gradually came into focus and became the most trusted and beneficial of all the early Christian writings.

As to the chart, it does not say such books were considered scripture but only that they were used in any kind of " liturgy"…also does not show what happened to use of said books
in liturgy after canon was decreed by councils just before 400 ad…the chart stops there
Thats why i gave you a link a few days ago to verify what the father’s thought first hand of these writings. To say they didn’t think these books were scripture is just repeating what other’s have told you. Read it or dont read it, not sure what else i can say.

Peace!!!

I’m interjecting the opinions of scholars and historians, who have spent their life studying church history and the development of the New Testament. They are much more qualified than I am to make any argument and their opinion is based on research and scholarship.
Every single person defending their beliefs uses this point and there is some validity to it but not if you are going to ignore the historical facts.

Peace!!!

Every single person defending their beliefs uses this point and there is some validity to it but not if you are going to ignore the historical facts.
I have to assume that someone who has a Ph.D. in Ecclesiastical History knows more of the historical facts than either you or me. Then when I read others who have devoted their life to studying church history come to the same conclusions then it becomes more than mine, or any single persons, opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back