Are there any New Testament Scriptures that directly support penance? I’m involved in a conversation with a Protestant who wonders why penance is necessary if our sins have been forgiven.
I have 2 Sam 12:13-14 below, but I’m anticipating that he will say something like “that was before Jesus gave himself on the Cross”.
*Then David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the LORD.” Nathan answered David: “The LORD on his part has forgiven your sin: you shall not die. But since you have utterly spurned the LORD by this deed, the child born to you must surely die.” *
Here is how the Douey Rheims reads based on Jeromes translation:
Penance In Scripture:
But unless you shall
do penance, you shall all likewise perish. Luke 13:3
And God indeed having winked at times of this ignorance, now delcareth unto men, that all should everywhere do
penance. Because he hath appointed a day, wherein he will judge the world in equity, by by man whom he hath appointed; giving faith to all, by raising him up from the dead Acts 17:30-31
Therefore will I judge everyman according to his ways, O house of Israel, saith the Lord God. Be converted, and do penance for all your enequities: and iniquity shall not be your ruin, Ezechial 18:30
And in those days cometh John the Baptist, preaching in the desert of judea. And saying:
Do penance: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. Mat 3:12
But I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first charity. Be mindufl, therefore, from whence thou art fallen: and
do penance and do the first works. Or else I come to thee, and will move thy candelstick out of its place, except thou
do penance Rev 2:4-5
But I have against thee a few things: because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat, and to commit fornication: So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaites. In like manner**, do penance**: if not, I come to thee quickl, and will fight against them with the sword of mouth. Rev 2:14-16
Be watchful and strengthen the things that remain, which are ready to die. For I find not thy works full before my God. Have in mind therefore in what manner thou has received and heard: and observe, and
do penance. Rev 3:2-3
Such as I love, rebuke and chastise, Be zealous therefore, and do penance. Reve 3:19
Main Entry:
Re-pent Etymology: Middle English, from Old French repentir, from re-+pentir to be sorry, from Latin paenitEre or PENITENT (Merriam-Webster,1999)
PENITENT \Pen"i*tent, n. 1, one under church censure, but admitted to penance; one undergoing penance. (Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, 1996)
Let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus as the pioneer and perfecter of our faith, for the joy that was set before him, endured the cross. . . . ‘My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor lose courage when you are punished by him. For the Lord disciplines whom he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives. [God] disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant; later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it" (Heb. 12:1–12).