Scripture quotes scripture that isn't scripture?

  • Thread starter Thread starter wolfpup
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
As an aside on this topic, I have heard good things about Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by Beale (ISBN 9780801026935).

I also like Biblical Exegesis in the Apostolic Period by Longenecker (ISBN 9780802843012) as a good source for understanding how the apostles and early church fathers used scripture.
Though Longenecker admits that there may be a sensus plenior, or spiritual meaning to the scriptures, he, like many others would forbid us from discerning it, claiming that the discernment of it was a special revelation to the apostles rather than a methodology which can be learned.

The official position of the Catholic church is that there is a spiritual meaning and there is no prohibition to seeking it out.

The interpretations given above are consistent with the 32 rules of Rabbi Eliezer from the first century if the knowledge of Jesus from the New Testament is applied to the riddles of the Old. The rabbis refused to look at Jesus or the New Testament, which is why they cannot discern Christ in the Old. The apostles did.
 
Revelation 8:1
The Seventh Seal and the Golden Censer ] When he opened the seventh seal, there was silence in heaven for about half an hour.

If there were multiple marriages in heaven this would not be possible.

Romans 7:2 (New International Version, ©2011)
2 For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law that binds her to him.

Marriage as we understand it is part of the law of God on earth.

“Let us rejoice and be glad and give the glory to Him, for the marriage of the Lamb [Jesus] has come and His bride has made herself ready.” It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. (Revelation 19:8)

There is only one marriage in heaven, having multiple would be aganist God’s will.

unless you believe that one bride can have multiple husbands.
 
Though Longenecker admits that there may be a sensus plenior, or spiritual meaning to the scriptures, he, like many others would forbid us from discerning it, claiming that the discernment of it was a special revelation to the apostles rather than a methodology which can be learned.

The official position of the Catholic church is that there is a spiritual meaning and there is no prohibition to seeking it out.
I could not agree more. And it is exactly the point I was trying to make in my reference to the failure of ‘proof-texting’ but which you made much more eloquently. Approaching scripture with an historical-critical mindset is approaching it out of the context in which it was written. Longenecker may not agree on whether we should approach scripture the same way the apostles did but he at least recognizes they did so quite differently than most modern scholars do.
 
I have heard good things about Commentary on the New Testament Use of the Old Testament by Beale (ISBN 9780801026935).
About the time I originally posted this I had picked up a copy at the library to review. After reviewing it, I cannot now say that I would recommend it despite the good things I had heard about it previously. Frankly, I found it not much different than any other commentary. The potential seemed there but it did not live up to its potential in my opinion.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top