SDA Baptism

• Thread starter Thread starter Maggie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie

Okay, this is a bit of a quagmire for me. I’ve recently finally come home to the church, after being somewhat lackadaisically being raised quasi catholic, and was confirmed the week after Easter. Now my mother, who was actually raised Catholic, has just told me she is being baptized into the Seventh Day Adventist church. Any time during the past nine months, while I was going through the RCIA process, in seeing her deepening involvement with the SDA church when we would try to have discussions regarding it her basic response was that I would reach a point where I would get past it (i.e. my devotion to Catholicism). She never did understand that the church was more than a set of rules and regulations, so now she’s completely closed out any discussion that might lead her to a deeper understanding of the Church. What I don’t know is what to do now. I don’t even know if she still receives Eucharist, but won’t this prevent her from doing so? I do think she still goes to Mass (at least she had up to a month or so ago, and she took communion at my confirmation).

40.png
Maggie:
Okay, this is a bit of a quagmire for me. I’ve recently finally come home to the church, after being somewhat lackadaisically being raised quasi catholic, and was confirmed the week after Easter. Now my mother, who was actually raised Catholic, has just told me she is being baptized into the Seventh Day Adventist church. Any time during the past nine months, while I was going through the RCIA process, in seeing her deepening involvement with the SDA church when we would try to have discussions regarding it her basic response was that I would reach a point where I would get past it (i.e. my devotion to Catholicism). She never did understand that the church was more than a set of rules and regulations, so now she’s completely closed out any discussion that might lead her to a deeper understanding of the Church. What I don’t know is what to do now. I don’t even know if she still receives Eucharist, but won’t this prevent her from doing so? I do think she still goes to Mass (at least she had up to a month or so ago, and she took communion at my confirmation).
I am a little confused, did your mother leave the Church or is she on her way out? If she has left then she should be taking the Eucharist, because it would in a way be hurting her soul. Not to mention that if she doesn’t agree with the Catholic Church and is not in communion with It then it wouldn’t really mean anything to her anyway, so why take it. I would just pray to the Holy Spirit to guide her, that is what I am doing for my mother. I am just in the process of comming into the Church and my mom is very upset about it, but we are working on it. Just pray.

Good Luck,
Shari

She’s on her way out… she’s been telling me (lying in fact) that she would “always be a Catholic” the whole time stating that it would be “silly to leave one organized religion for another”. I don’t think she understands fully that in taking this step she will in fact no longer be a Catholic. I’m not sure I’m right about that, but that’s how I think I read it.

The best advice that can be given, has already been said by you. Pray! Pray for her! Pray for yourself that the Holy Spirit will enlighten and sustain you.

There is no way for a mortal to know the condition of another’e soul. Nor is there any way one can know the condition of his/her own soul without divine information. Your description of your Mother indicates to me that she is not informed about truths of the Church. Most of the protestants I’ve met pick a church based on the social comfort provided by the preacher and/or their fellow members, not on theological issues.

Unfortunately, a similar problem has cropped up in the Catholic Church since Vatican II because of the chaos in the pronouncement of doctrines by misinformed and some members of the heirarchy in revolt. A hundred years ago, nay fifty years ago, this misinformation and revolt would have been soundly condemned, anathema sit, by papal proclamation. We also have Catholics searching for a parish where Catholic Doctrine and Canon Laws are faithfully promulgated and followed. There are some who search for parishes where they can live a life of sin and not be admonished by their pastor or their bishop. This is a difficult time for the Church, but those who persevere wil triumph.

I will pray for you and your Mother, and ask your prayers for me.

You are so right George and Shari, thank you. I will keep you in my prayers and I thank you for yours.

Maggie,
How much do you know about what the SDA Church teaches? Specifically with regards to the Catholic Church?

Also, does your Mother seem to be involved in their services for theological reasons or more social reasons?

Brandon

40.png
Shari:
I am just in the process of comming into the Church and my mom is very upset about it, but we are working on it. Just pray. Shari
Shari,

CONGRATS!!! Welcome Home!!

Brandon

40.png
SDA2RC:
Maggie,
How much do you know about what the SDA Church teaches? Specifically with regards to the Catholic Church?

Also, does your Mother seem to be involved in their services for theological reasons or more social reasons?

Brandon
That’s hard, because while we’ve always been able to discuss religion before, she’s become a lot more closed. My uncle is Seventh Day Adventist and it’s his church that she’s been attending, and he’s pretty rabidly anti-Catholic(the Pope is the anti-Christ and the whole nine-yards), but she insists that he is the odd-one-out and that the woman who has been her mentor and bible study leader is not anti-Catholic at all. But now she doesn’t believe in hell or purgatory, she doesn’t go to Mass any longer, she scoffs when I go to confession. [this is a bit of a repeat to your response as well under National Sunday Law… feel free to only respond to one! 🙂 ] Thank you so much for any (name removed by moderator)ut you can provide. I know I have enough things on my own soul to worry about but it IS my mom!!!

40.png
Maggie:
My uncle is Seventh Day Adventist and it’s his church that she’s been attending, and he’s pretty rabidly anti-Catholic(the Pope is the anti-Christ and the whole nine-yards), but she insists that he is the odd-one-out and that the woman who has been her mentor and bible study leader is not anti-Catholic at all.
SDA’s do not consider themselves Anti-Catholic… They feel that they are just pro-truth. Your uncle is not the odd man out, and I can provide literally hundreds of quotations from Church materials and members to prove it…

Adventist’s claim that they are not against Catholic people, just the “system” which will become the Anti-Christ. They believe that many Catholics are good christians (who will convert and go to heaven if they are here at Christ’s second coming.)

Brandon

40.png
JoaoMachado:
I suggest you talk contact a member here who is coming into the Catholic Church from SDA forums.catholic-questions.org/member.php?userid=56 His member name is SDA2RC.

Also, I would be very interested why she is making the move? The underlying reason.

Joao
Thanks Joao!! I knew I had seen one but I couldn’t find him again!! Brandon’s been kind enough to answer both my thread and Daniel’s regarding his friend’s involvement.

Mom’s involvement with the RCC has been one of discord anyway, so she’s never fully understood that it is more than a human institution full of sinners. I pray that this is God’s way of showing her that it is the church established by Christ Himself, or that He can use it for that. I thought this bible study was a good thing because it seemed to be drawing her so much closer to God (the best way I can describe it is she went from fearing the devil to loving God). I still have hope (God is all powerful and all loving, even a temporary separation from His church if it works towards His will can be part of His plan whether I understand His workings or not – this may be the only way to get my uncle back into the fold.) But, I need to be strong in my own faith (pray for me please) and sound in my arguments, so that if the Holy Spirit calls on me I am prepared. You guys (and God!!) have already helped tremendously. I am so glad to have Brandon as a resource, it helps to know not only that converts come the other way, but that there are theologically sound arguments to be made (it’s one thing to have faith, it’s another to have sound arguments 😉 ) God Bless you all. THANK YOU!!

40.png
SDA2RC:
SDA’s do not consider themselves Anti-Catholic… They feel that they are just pro-truth. Your uncle is not the odd man out, and I can provide literally hundreds of quotations from Church materials and members to prove it…

Adventist’s claim that they are not against Catholic people, just the “system” which will become the Anti-Christ. They believe that many Catholics are good christians (who will convert and go to heaven if they are here at Christ’s second coming.)

Brandon
So, they don’t consider themselves anti-Catholic… they just are? :rolleyes:

I hope I don’t offend, please let me know 😦 !!! I know that this must be a tough journey for you as well, so if I can provide you with support, I REALLY appreciate yours 👍 , so feel free to ask in return!!! 🙂

I don’t think there are many anti-Catholics that think they are being anti-Catholic. It seems like they are operating under the notion that they are bringing the “truth” to [misinformed] Catholics out of love (Jack Chick comes to mind too).

EG White’s writings are full of it. From chapter 3 of The Great Controversy:

“Satan once endeavored to form a compromise with Christ. He came to the Son of God in the wilderness of temptation, and, showing him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them, offered to give into his hands if he would but acknowledge the supremacy of the prince of darkness. Christ rebuked the presumptous tempter, and forced him to depart. But Satan meets with greater success in presenting the same temptations to man. To secure worldly gains and honors, the church was led to seek favor and support of the great men of earth, and having thus rejected Christ, she was induced to yield allegiance to the representative of Satan, – the bishop of Rome.”

“More than this, the pope has arrogated the very titles of Diety. He styles himself “Lord God the Pope,” assumes infallibility, and demands that all men pay him homage.”

It goes on to say how the pope usurped the power over Christ’s church (forgetting that Jesus gave Peter the authority), Satan, through the Pope concealed and suppressed the Scriptures (forgetting that it was Catholic monks and monastics who painstakingly copied and protected the scriptures during the various barbarian invasions).

*It was Rome, through pagan Constantine that decreed that Sunday be called the Lord’s Day, thus taking worship away from Saturday. *

Justin Martyr in Chapter LXVII (67) of his First Apology writes: “And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits: then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things… But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, amde the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things…”

Although the Great Controversy was written in the 1840s (?), it still contains inflammatory words such as Papist, Romish, Romanist. The book is still being made widely available and freely mailed to anyone.

40.png
AmandaPS:
Although the Great Controversy was written in the 1840s (?), it still contains inflammatory words such as Papist, Romish, Romanist. The book is still being made widely available and freely mailed to anyone.
GC was written first in the 1860’s and published under a different name. It was widley edited and was last published in 1911 with the final editing done.

Among other things, EGW claims in the Great Controversy that Adventists will hear the voice of God announce the time and date of Christ’s coming during the very last days. She also states in there that the Waldensians were Sabbath keepers. Which is one of the groups she claims that Adventist’s are the spiritual heir of… hence the continuity of the church.

Brandon

40.png
AmandaPS:
Justin Martyr in Chapter LXVII (67) of his First Apology writes: “And on the day called Sunday, all who live in cities or in the country gather to one place, and the memoirs of the apostles or the writings of the prophets are read, as long as time permits: then, when the reader has ceased, the president verbally instructs, and exhorts to the imitation of these good things… But Sunday is the day on which we all hold our common assembly, because it is the first day on which God, having wrought a change in the darkness and matter, amde the world; and Jesus Christ our Savior on the same day rose from the dead. For He was crucified on the day before that of Saturn (Saturday); and on the day after that of Saturn, which is the day of the Sun, having appeared to His apostles and disciples, He taught them these things…”
Thanks Amanda… she definitely has quoted the Constantine changing the Sabbath/Sunday before (from a supposedly Catholic source nonetheless!!) and this is a great concrete source to refute that. Our priest near about took my head off for even asking the question 😛 , and his response was good enough for me, but it’s good to have solid pre-Constantine sources that I can use as well…

Maggie,
If you go onto the Catholic.com website, they do have a whole list of citations from the early Church Fathers about Sunday being observed as far back as pre-100 AD.

Brandon

You’re going to think I’m silly, but I didn’t take her seriously until she told me she was getting baptized. She’s always reading goofy stuff. I will look there (which is here, right?) and print out some stuff. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :blessyou:

I hope you’ll accept sincere prayers from a non-Catholic (non-Christian for that matter) for both you and your mother. I myself am attempting to cross the Tiber also meeting with opposition.

40.png
AmandaPS:
I myself am attempting to cross the Tiber also meeting with opposition.
I will pray for you in your journey Amanda. 🙂 I find that the opposition is always strong… but the joy you find will generally convict them of the rightness of the call. Have you begun RCIA inquiry yet?

I haven’t. I almost had a chance several years ago, when I was younger, but chickened out because of personal problems. Since then, I haven’t been inside a Church because of other impedements. But when my aunt comes down for a visit, she’s going to take me. She converted from Buddhism too.

Over the years, I’ve read a lot of very un-Catholic publications, like EG White’s, the Book of Mormon, and JWs, not because I was interested, but more like a chance to sharpen my knowledge for when I can finally say, Yay! I’m Catholic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back