Seal of Confession, etc. If priest learns he fathered a child

• Thread starter Thread starter Ana_v
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You’re not supposed to do that, but actually as violations go that stuff is considered pretty minor.
When the rules to address this first came out, they were called “The LA Law Rule” . . .

:crazy_face: 😱 🤣
Privilege violations, on the other hand, are not.
That and messing with the trust account, with just plain not showing up at #3, account for most of the lost licenses . . .

ANd, really, tis_bear, are you telling me that you don’t wrap up major litigation and felony trials in a couple of weeks? 😱

Now if only I could get the deal that Perry Mason and Ben Matlock got, with that stream of provably innocent clients. And in Matlock’s case, they could even pay!
Interestingly, one of the more allegedly “correct” legal movies is “My Cousin Vinny”, so they say.
My crim pro professor ages ago commented on Matlock being significantly closer on civil procedure (aside from the time compression)

if he heard that outside of a confession I imagine there are rules that are defined by civil laws and others by local Church rules and Canon law.

For the exemple of paternity tests, it depends on the legislation. In some countries they are legal only if a justice order mandate them (and the man can refuse it, but he will probably considered as the legal father, with the obligations).

I think these sorts of situation are commonly expected to be managed alone by bishops/superiors. The consequences are concerning the Church not only an individual man who appears to be a priest. A priest had give his life to the Church in celibacy. There is a contradiction.

It happened that in real exemples the Church offered a financial aid to the mother for helping her to raise the child in exchange of her silence.

But if the situation become public the priest would probably have to leave ministry in order to end the scandal.

Today, I think the approach of a bishop would be more to make the priest leave his ministry in order to “be” a real father if the child is underage or because of the ethical dilemna it creates with holy orders.

The telenovela extract with the revelation is very mooving. But in real life, it is not funny. It is a nightmare.

@Ana_v.
Sorry, but as you speak of your uncle’s life, I am a little shocked of the meal organized around the “hidden” daughter. All people around the table was aware of who she is and who is her father… except her. What a huge retention of information. And what a dangerous game the mother played, maybe in order to relieve her mind over that. The secret could have been suspected by the daughter. How would she have had reacted?

as someone who don’t know her father, what do you feel?

Last edited:
The telenovela extract with the revelation is very mooving. But in real life, it is not funny. It is a nightmare.

@Ana_v.
Sorry, but as you speak of your uncle’s life, I am a little shocked of the meal organized around the “hidden” daughter. All people around the table was aware of who she is and who is her father… except her. What a huge retention of information. And what a dangerous game the mother played, maybe in order to relieve her mind over that. The secret could have been suspected by the daughter. How would she have had reacted?

as someone who don’t know her father, what do you feel?
Hi Anicette,
Thank you for your reply. I will send you a PM later today.

Though there is a difference between a priest who has transgressed his vows and a former fornicator who has repented and since been ordained as a priest. St. Augustine had an illegitimate child before his conversion, and that was not an impediment to him being ordained a bishop.

Sure.

But if the priest is being ordered by a civil tribunal to pay child support or something like that, the consequences of a past fornication (as opposed to breaking his vow of celibacy) are concerning the Church too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back