Secular children names

  • Thread starter Thread starter PennyinCanada
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Imagine being born on St. Expedite’s day. Or Exuperance’s. Or Aceptismas’. Or Gall’s. Or Mamas’. 😛
My friend’s daughter was born on 6th July - the feast day of St Sexburga and St Maria Goretti…they went with Maria!
 
I always joke that my kids will have the most unusual names on their sports teams…

Only because they both have totally normal and not unique names at all. Totally Catholic, but I can’t say that was done intentionally. We just liked them.

Both of their names (first and middle) have been on the top 100 charts for decades. We preferred it that way. No odd spellings. No hard to pronounce names. No nicknames. All saint names. Amen.

I have a normal name that my parents spelled oddly, and I was always SO MAD as a kid that I couldn’t find those silly souvenir pencils with my name on them. So my one rule was that my kids had to be able to find things with their names without having to be specially ordered.
 
I can partly sympathize with the concern here. I mean, my middle name is Louise, with an e. And I’m a guy. And yes, it did somewhat bother me as a kid, or at least my grandmother was.
 
I have a name which is a female version of a male saint’s name, and thankfully DF and I have already decided on the names (no kids yet).
We decided to use some family names, which happen to be very lovely saints’ names. I have my reservations concerning one of the suggestions, and it sounds nicer, but I’m not sure if it’s actually Catholic…

But recently I have seen that many people use male names for their daughters, just adding a suffix which makes them female. Horrible results, in English they would be similar to Marka or Thomasa, Ronalda. They really sound awful and the first thing that comes to my mind when I hear those names is that someone was really hoping for a boy and frustrated when the child turned out to be a girl.
 
The priest who baptized our son objected in the middle of the Rite of Baptism no less to the name we’d chosen. In fact, he was named after his grandfather, but there is an (admittedly obscure) Scottish saint of the same name.
 
Most of the names that are en vogue today are absolutely horrible.

Mason, Jayden, Braden, Aiden, Madison, Addison, and the absolute worst offender: REAGAN. In all its forms. Reagan was a great president but an absolutely horrendous first name and not feminine in any way.

I guess my kids names stand out but in retro ways and in very Catholic ways. I think I’ve hit the mark.
Honest question, what is wrong with all of those names? My cousin and her husband, both practicing Catholic’s named their son Brayden. My son’s best friend is named Aiden and he and his Mom (she’s a widow) are Catholics as well.
 
I never remember being told I had to name my child after a Saint when I went to the pre-Baptism classes. I think it’s more of a sub-cultural tradition in the Church (with some Catholics of some national backgrounds incorporating it).

My daughter’s name isn’t a Saint’s name… but it is a traditional name in my family background. My name isn’t a Saint’s name and neither is my brother’s. But again, we both have “normal” names that have been around for centuries.

My dad wasn’t Catholic and neither were his parents, so I will leave them out. But on my mom’s side two of four children have Saint’s names, but not my own mother and one of her brothers… but again, they are all “typical” names.

My grandmother has a saint’s name, but at least one of her sisters doesn’t. My grandfather wasn’t Catholic, but he and his sister both have Saint’s names.

I am named after a great aunt and my middle name is my aunt’s name (she died in infancy). Neither are Saint’s names. And when I picked a name at confirmation, I was told (wrongly it turns out) that I couldn’t use a male Saint as my patron and my name was literally changed on the day of my confirmation to the name of a city (where Christians were martyred). So even the Saint name I picked for myself didn’t make the cut!
 
Honest question, what is wrong with all of those names? My cousin and her husband, both practicing Catholic’s named their son Brayden. My son’s best friend is named Aiden and he and his Mom (she’s a widow) are Catholics as well.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with those names either. People need to remember that everyone has a different cultural background, family history, etc. Just because you have never heard a name or seen it spelt that way means it did not exist before. Literature nerds will find names that you may not know but were actually used before, e.g Demi Moore’s daughters all have literary names even though they sound weird they are old names. Also remember that before Saint Polycarp became a saint his parents just liked the name, maybe one day we’ll have a St Brayden or a St Britnee. Paris was a name from Greek mythology, he was the son of the king of Troy.
 
I don’t think there is anything wrong with those names either. People need to remember that everyone has a different cultural background, family history, etc. Just because you have never heard a name or seen it spelt that way means it did not exist before. Literature nerds will find names that you may not know but were actually used before, e.g Demi Moore’s daughters all have literary names even though they sound weird they are old names. Also remember that before Saint Polycarp became a saint his parents just liked the name, maybe one day we’ll have a St Brayden or a St Britnee. Paris was a name from Greek mythology, he was the son of the king of Troy.
Also different cultures change the spelling of Saint names all the time depending on the language and culture. Example: Saint John is also called San Juan. Or Saint Bridget of Sweden is actually Saint Brigitta.Or Saint Rose of Lima would be Santa Rosa. We change the spelling of Saints names all the time.

My name, Jolene, is Jolene in any language because that is my name, with that spelling. When another language tries to change the spelling of my name or the pronunciation, they are getting it wrong. Like I had dated a Swedish man several years back who’s name was Stefan, and not pronounced how you would think. I tried very hard to pronounce it right and wouldn’t tell him that his name should be spelled Stephan, or Steven.
 
Around here, we encounter lots of families with boys whose names rhyme with “Aiden”: Aiden, Aidan, Cayden, Jayden, Braden, etc. I’m not crazy about those names, but at least I’m pretty sure that Aiden/Aidan actually is a traditional name. (I have my doubts about some of the others though.)

What I don’t understand is the trend of using fairly common last names as first names for girls. For example, Reagan (already mentioned in this thread), Madison, McKenzie, Kennedy, Addison, etc. I always wonder what will happen to these girls if they grow up and marry a man whose last name is the same as their first name. Then if the girl changes her last name to match her husband’s last name, she will end up with a name like Kennedy Kennedy, or Madison Madison, or McKenzie McKenzie. Yikes.

Another boy name that I heard recently is Bentley. When an acquaintance told me that she planned to name her baby Bentley, my first thought was of Mr. Bentley from The Jeffersons. He was a funny character, but not one I would want to name a kid after. 🙂
 
Another scary thought: Since Reagan and Kennedy are now established as semi-normal girls’ names, does that mean that we will soon begin hearing about girls named Clinton, Bush, or Obama?!? 😉
 
What I don’t understand is the trend of using fairly common last names as first names for girls. For example, Reagan (already mentioned in this thread), Madison, McKenzie, Kennedy, Addison, etc. I always wonder what will happen to these girls if they grow up and marry a man whose last name is the same as their first name. Then if the girl changes her last name to match her husband’s last name, she will end up with a name like Kennedy Kennedy, or Madison Madison, or McKenzie McKenzie. Yikes.
Last year George W. Bush’s niece, Lauren Bush married Ralph Lauren’s son David Lauren,… her new name is Lauren Bush Lauren 😃
 
Another scary thought: Since Reagan and Kennedy are now established as semi-normal girls’ names, does that mean that we will soon begin hearing about girls named Clinton, Bush, or Obama?!? 😉
The name that has really gotten a bump in the Middle East in the last ten years is Osama, not Obama. While Clinton, like Reagan, Kennedy, and Carter, already existed as a given name before the president was ever elected, nobody is going to name their child “Bush” as a first name, and Obama is a rare name in Africa. I would not be surprised if Barack gets more of a bump than George, Bill, or Ronald did, though.

At any rate, I know a couple that named their boy Carter, and trust me, it was meant as no homage to the president of that name!! :eek:
Most of the names that are en vogue today are absolutely horrible.

Mason, Jayden, Braden, Aiden, Madison, Addison, and the absolute worst offender: REAGAN. In all its forms. Reagan was a great president but an absolutely horrendous first name and not feminine in any way.

I guess my kids names stand out but in retro ways and in very Catholic ways. I think I’ve hit the mark.
St. Aidan is an Irish saint, founder and first bishop of the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne in England. A Christian missionary, he is credited with restoring Christianity to Northumbria after the Anglo-Saxon invasion of Britain. He was known throughout the kingdom for his knowledge of the Bible, his learning, his eloquent preaching, his holiness, his distaste for pomp, his kindness to the poor, and the miracles attributed to him. If any Catholic boys named Aiden or Aidan aren’t familiar with this saint, it would be a shame.

Bl. John Mason was an English layman, hanged, drawn and quartered in 1591 for the crime of giving harbor to a Catholic priest, a priest who was later canonized St. Edmund Gennings. Pope Pius XI beatified Mason in 1929. Again: any child named Mason ought be to made familiar with this saintly layperson.

Many of the rest are surnames or variants on surnames. For instance, Madison can come either as a variant on Madeline (St. Mary Magdalene) or from “Matty’s son”…that is, a son of a guy named Matthew who had been nicknamed “Matty”. Addison, from son of Adam, and so on. Giving the mother’s maiden surname as a child’s middle name has a long history. As others have pointed out, Regan was considered a name believable for a princess in Shakespeare’s time. Granted, the older sister in the story was named Goneril, so maybe the playwright was implying that ol’ King Lear had some mental lapses earlier in his life, too. (Maybe the king went a little nuts when his child was again a princess and not a prince? :rolleyes:)

Don’t get me wrong, we chose saints’ names for our own kids that would have been considered average boys’ names 50 years ago and 100 years ago, on the theory that timeless names aren’t so likely to become “old guy” names later in their life. I think it reasonable to expect all of these two-syllable names ending in “-en” to become “old guy” names some day.

Whether the names are “secular” or not, though, that also depends on whether the parents trouble themselves to let their child know that he or she has a patron saint. On top of that, there are things beyond our control when it comes to these things. They may have brought her up very vigilantly, but I think don’t Madonna Louise Veronica Ciccone’s parents could have known what secular meanings their daughter would later give to her own given name. Some things, a parent can’t do much about.
 
No names are made up.
My Top 35 weird Saint names

35 - Saint Abban of Magheranoidhe

34 - Blessed Rudolph Aquaviva

33 - Saint Exuperance

32 - Saint Fabius Claudius Gordianus Fulgentius?

31 - Saint Zynovij Kovalyk
-The last Saint in the alphabet

30 - Saint Gall

29 - Saint Aceptismas

28 - Saint Lancelot.
Not THAT Lancelot.

27 - Saint Vimin of Holywood
-Holywood not Hollywood.

26 - Saint Austin (AKA - St. Augustine of Canterbury)

25 - Saint Artaxus of Syrmium
-Any Saint name that sounds like “tax us” probably isn’t going to be awfully popular.

24 - Saint Christina the Astonishing

23 - Saint Januarius

22 - Saint Alphege the Bald

21 - Saint Mamas
This is the only Mamas that is not a woman.

20 - Saint Bairfhion

19 - Saint Teath

18 - Saint Tron

17 - Saint Kenny

16 - Saint John the Great Sinner

15 - Saint Conon
not "Conan” : P

14 - Saint Bru

13 - Saint Olive of Palermo

12 - Saint Vicelin, Apostle of Holstein

11 - Saint Dora.

10 - Saint Rollox

9 - Saint Nabor

8 - Saint Gwynnin
-Can I buy a vowel?

7 - Blessed Andrea Carlo Ferrari

6 - Saint Olav the Thick

5 – saint day

4 - Saint Pancratius

3 - Saint Peter Chanel

2 - Saint Guy

1 - Saint Chillen of Aubigny

Theres more !!! : )
Shalom
God Bless
 
I really can’t stand all the “-aden” names like Jaden, Braden, Kaden, Kayden, etc.
 
What I don’t understand is the trend of using fairly common last names as first names for girls. For example, Reagan (already mentioned in this thread), Madison, McKenzie, Kennedy, Addison, etc. I always wonder what will happen to these girls if they grow up and marry a man whose last name is the same as their first name. Then if the girl changes her last name to match her husband’s last name, she will end up with a name like Kennedy Kennedy, or Madison Madison, or McKenzie McKenzie. Yikes.
I’ve often thought the same thing. I wonder if people are giving girls masculine sounding names in order to “empower” them, as if it’s wrong to be feminine.
As for the weird names celebrities give their children, if they all associate with each other in the same social circle, perhaps it’s normal for them to have off-beat names. Maybe they’d feel out of place with a name such as Mary or John.
 
Most of the names that are en vogue today are absolutely horrible.

Mason, Jayden, Braden, Aiden, Madison, Addison, and the absolute worst offender: REAGAN. In all its forms. Reagan was a great president but an absolutely horrendous first name and not feminine in any way.

I guess my kids names stand out but in retro ways and in very Catholic ways. I think I’ve hit the mark.
At least some of these names are traditional. Like Aiden and Reagan. I primarily associate the name Reagan (as a first name) with King Lear.

Madison & Addison are examples of last names or place names used as first names. For example James Madison or Madison, Wisconsin (possibly named after James Madison). Addison I presume is also a last name, but more famous to me as the location of Wrigley field. Funny though I don’t instinctively associate the name “Clark” with Wrigley, maybe because I knew people with that name before I knew the location of the ballpark.

Another example I would consider of a place name used as a trendy first name is “Savannah”. And yet I wouldn’t include “Georgia” because that is, presumably a “traditional” name and not currently trendy. Very odd how I make these judgments!
 
As far as I can tell, it’s not wrong to name your child a weird name…it doesn’t HAVE to be a Catholic saint name, BUT it can’t be anti-Christian. Which is why I’m disturbed to see that Jezebel is actually becoming rather popular. :eek:

Old-fashioned names like Isabell and Victoria are back in style, which I think is neat.
 
As far as I can tell, it’s not wrong to name your child a weird name…it doesn’t HAVE to be a Catholic saint name, BUT it can’t be anti-Christian. Which is why I’m disturbed to see that Jezebel is actually becoming rather popular. :eek:

Old-fashioned names like Isabell and Victoria are back in style, which I think is neat.
And I know a man who gave his son the name Cain. SO what? a name is a name. Just because one bad person in the bible has that name, doens’t mean it’s bad. Jezebel isn’t a bad name because of the Bible; the vast majority of people I know don’t even know there IS a jezebel in the Bible. They just equate it with prostitution. THAT’S why it’s a bad name,
 
And I know a man who gave his son the name Cain. SO what? a name is a name. Just because one bad person in the bible has that name, doens’t mean it’s bad. Jezebel isn’t a bad name because of the Bible; the vast majority of people I know don’t even know there IS a jezebel in the Bible. They just equate it with prostitution. THAT’S why it’s a bad name,
Well, technically, now that you say it, Judas (Ioudas, the Greek form of Yehudah ‘Judah’) isn’t a bad name either.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top