Secular society and 2 Kings 5

  • Thread starter Thread starter danto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

danto

Guest
What are some interpretations of 2 Kings 5:17-19 in terms of living in today’s secular society?

As the courts continue to legalize behavior contrary to the faith, we may be called upon to “bow down to Rimmon” by our society, such as a marriage commissioner in Canada forced to perform a civil union between two people of the same sex, an employer to pay for benefits including contraception, etc.

Does the passage apply to situations such as above, if so to what extent? If not, why not?

2 Kings 5:17-19 (NAB)
17 Naaman said: “If you will not accept, please let me, your servant, have two mule-loads of earth, for I will no longer offer holocaust or sacrifice to any other god except to the LORD.
18 But I trust the LORD will forgive your servant this: when my master enters the temple of Rimmon to worship there, then I, too, as his adjutant, must bow down in the temple of Rimmon. May the LORD forgive your servant this.”
19 “Go in peace,” Elisha said to him
 
As we advance further away from GOD and nearer to the legislative rules that forbid GOD, all believers will be faced with the very difficult choice of remaining within society or abandoning society and starting over.
The Amish live apart from society yet within it. Perhaps that model is the future for believers. Return to the earth where we can find sustenance, without condemning our souls to receive our secular sustenance doing that which requires we violate our faith.
 
As the courts continue to legalize behavior contrary to the faith, we may be called upon to “bow down to Rimmon” by our society, such as a marriage commissioner in Canada forced to perform a civil union between two people of the same sex, an employer to pay for benefits including contraception, etc.

Does the passage apply to situations such as above, if so to what extent? If not, why not?
Thorough said “Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a just man is also a prison**”**

I will not bow to any thing I consider to be immoral. I would accept that legal rights are protected by “civil unions”, but I would never recognize a homosexual “marraige” as sacramental or valid.

I would never offer my money to support abortions, contraceptives, etc.

It is better to be persecuted than to bow before other gods who would seek to supplant God’s law.
 
Thanks both. I also found the haydock commentary spoke on this passage and cleared up my misconceptions.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top