M
Margaret33
Guest
Hi everyone…
I’m hoping for recommendations on good deep catholic works on suffering… first thing that comes to mind is Dark Night of the Soul, I haven’t read it yet but it seems to define me these days in the truest sense… (no sympathy required, sorry, just trying to explain what type of book) I have been researching Dark Night online a great deal today and am finding soo many different versions/editions… had no idea there were so many! Any advice you can offer about which (St John) edition is the best and if you have any knowledge of just what the differences are between the different version/editions would be so incredibly helpful…
Any other recommendations on books about saints who endured severe unrelenting trials, hardships/oppression etc would be of interest. (Sorry,not trying to be bleak here!) Am more inclined to try books on saints life stories, St Theresa of Avila, etc. (haven’t read that either, is this good?), rather than other types.
Sadly, the only saint books I currently own are St Micheal & the Angels (great book by the way, mostly prayers but I love it) and a few Books each containing many compiled/condensed life stories of the saints. So I don’t have any experience with the larger works (I know I am an awful Catholic having realized this!)
So please… recommend away…
I’m sorry, know I’m asking an awful lot in this one little message… (sorry for rambling)… have a slow internet connection and am getting a little exasperated in my search… would rather have fellow Catholic opinions anyway!
Bless you all…
truly,
M
I’m hoping for recommendations on good deep catholic works on suffering… first thing that comes to mind is Dark Night of the Soul, I haven’t read it yet but it seems to define me these days in the truest sense… (no sympathy required, sorry, just trying to explain what type of book) I have been researching Dark Night online a great deal today and am finding soo many different versions/editions… had no idea there were so many! Any advice you can offer about which (St John) edition is the best and if you have any knowledge of just what the differences are between the different version/editions would be so incredibly helpful…
Any other recommendations on books about saints who endured severe unrelenting trials, hardships/oppression etc would be of interest. (Sorry,not trying to be bleak here!) Am more inclined to try books on saints life stories, St Theresa of Avila, etc. (haven’t read that either, is this good?), rather than other types.
Sadly, the only saint books I currently own are St Micheal & the Angels (great book by the way, mostly prayers but I love it) and a few Books each containing many compiled/condensed life stories of the saints. So I don’t have any experience with the larger works (I know I am an awful Catholic having realized this!)
So please… recommend away…
I’m sorry, know I’m asking an awful lot in this one little message… (sorry for rambling)… have a slow internet connection and am getting a little exasperated in my search… would rather have fellow Catholic opinions anyway!
Bless you all…
truly,
M