Seen God? Theophany

  • Thread starter Thread starter Reformed_Rob
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Reformed_Rob

Guest
I was thinking this morning at Mass about how there’s verses that say that no one can see God and how we have seen God and people saw the Deity of the Son at the Transfiguration and things like that.

Some verses are Genesis 18:1 Exodus 33:20, John 5:37, and I Timothy 6:15,16

So I realize that the way it’s usually explained is that when it’s said that so and so saw God, then they saw God the Son. Or another manifestation like the Spirit descending on Jesus in the form of a dove. Typically called a “Theophany.”

That makes sense because Jesus says that only He has seen the Father (John 6:46).

However, I was wondering if maybe there’s any way of understanding it to the effect that… no person has ever seen the Trinity. That is…the One God, God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit “together” in some way.

Whatever way that would be, I don’t know.
 
I have always wondered how passages like Gen 3:8 are interpreted. Is it just the presence of God?
 
I have always wondered how passages like Gen 3:8 are interpreted. Is it just the presence of God?
Well back when I was a Presbyterian we talked about this some and we were taught that in times like Genesis 3:8 that it was Jesus. Maybe not the same he would have looked as Mary’s Son after the Incarnation, but God the Son nonetheless.

Similar event, Jacob wrestling with the angel/Lord. ** Genesis 32:30** Jacob says “I have seen God face to face, yet my life has been preserved.” We were taught that it was Jesus, or maybe in some way, an angel but it could be a messenger (angel) and the messenger was Jesus. (Hosea 12:4)

I’m not doubting what I learned previously, but thinking maybe the Church has a little more insight on the matter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top