M
MusicaDonumDei
Guest
Jesus said to “take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.” (Matt 6:1).
Now, I tend to be a self-conscious person to begin with. But lately I’ve found myself 2nd guessing devotions that are spiritually effective to me that happen to have an external expression. For example, I’ll show up to mass in the mornings 30 minutes early so I recite the Office of Readings. I do this kneeling silently, but while slowly mouthing the words so I can “chew” them in a Lectio Divina sort of way. I know in my heart that I’m doing them with sincerity, and not for “show”, but I also can’t not be preoccupied with the thought that other people will see me doing them and consider me to have a “holier-than-thou” attitude.
Does anyone else have this problem and how do you suggest I go about fixing it? I want to be comfortable worshiping God in whatever form it happens to take and not worry about what people think, but my over-concern with NOT being seen seems to be hurting my devotions rather than helping them
Now, I tend to be a self-conscious person to begin with. But lately I’ve found myself 2nd guessing devotions that are spiritually effective to me that happen to have an external expression. For example, I’ll show up to mass in the mornings 30 minutes early so I recite the Office of Readings. I do this kneeling silently, but while slowly mouthing the words so I can “chew” them in a Lectio Divina sort of way. I know in my heart that I’m doing them with sincerity, and not for “show”, but I also can’t not be preoccupied with the thought that other people will see me doing them and consider me to have a “holier-than-thou” attitude.
Does anyone else have this problem and how do you suggest I go about fixing it? I want to be comfortable worshiping God in whatever form it happens to take and not worry about what people think, but my over-concern with NOT being seen seems to be hurting my devotions rather than helping them