Seminarian give the homily?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MJE
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the previous answers. It’s just that some may not realize that a 4th Theology seminarian is usually already ordained a deacon. As such, he could give the homily.
 
Also if he is a deacon he should be vested as one. If a seminarian is not vested a deacon, then he probably isn’t one and could be a sign of abuse.
 
I once heard a seminarian speak (he wasn’t a deacon), but he didn’t give the homily — the pastor did.
 
Seminarians cannot deliver a homily. It is forbidden. According to Redemptionis Sacramentum:
64.] The homily, which is given in the course of the celebration of Holy Mass and is a part of the Liturgy itself,142 “should ordinarily be given by the Priest celebrant himself. He may entrust it to a concelebrating Priest or occasionally, according to circumstances, to a Deacon, but never to a layperson.143 In particular cases and for a just cause, the homily may even be given by a Bishop or a Priest who is present at the celebration but cannot concelebrate”.144
[65.] It should be borne in mind that any previous norm that may have admitted non-ordained faithful to give the homily during the Eucharistic celebration is to be considered abrogated by the norm of canon 767 §1.145 This practice is reprobated, so that it cannot be permitted to attain the force of custom.
[66.] The prohibition of the admission of laypersons to preach within the Mass applies also to seminarians, students of theological disciplines, and those who have assumed the function of those known as “pastoral assistants”; nor is there to be any exception for any other kind of layperson, or group, or community, or association.146
I hope this helps.
 
I’m confused! Surely a deacon can preach, and a seminarian who is a deacon can preach, therefore it is not true to say ‘Seminarians can’t preach’ quite so emphatically?

The most that can be said is that ‘Some seminarians can’t preach’ or, if you prefer, ‘Some seminarians can’.
 
I’m confused! Surely a deacon can preach, and a seminarian who is a deacon can preach, therefore it is not true to say ‘Seminarians can’t preach’ quite so emphatically?

The most that can be said is that ‘Some seminarians can’t preach’ or if you prefer ‘Some seminarians can’.
However, if he is a deacon, he needs to be vested according to his office:
[125.] The proper vestment of the Deacon is the dalmatic, to be worn over an alb and stole. In order that the beautiful tradition of the Church may be preserved, it is praiseworthy to refrain from exercising the option of omitting the dalmatic.215
I hope this helps.
 
I agree with the previous answers. It’s just that some may not realize that a 4th Theology seminarian is usually already ordained a deacon. As such, he could give the homily.
In many, if not most American dioceses, deacons are ordained in their fifth year, after theology.
 
However, if he is a deacon, he needs to be vested according to his office:

I hope this helps.
Our parish doesn’t have any dalmatics. Our Permanent Deacon just wears his diagonal stole.

As he is (only) a PD, do the rules about vesting apply to him? I put ‘only’ in parentheses to make his status clear, but hate doing so, as he is worth his weight in gold.
 
Our parish doesn’t have any dalmatics. Our Permanent Deacon just wears his diagonal stole.

As he is (only) a PD, do the rules about vesting apply to him? I put ‘only’ in parentheses to make his status clear, but hate doing so, as he is worth his weight in gold.
A deacon is a deacon, regardless of whether or not he is a permanent one or a transitional one. Granted, not all parishes have dalmatics, but, wearing the diaconal stole over the alb is sufficient.

Maybe y’all can get together as a parish and buy some matching dalmatics for him. I think he would greatly appreciate it.
 
In many, if not most American dioceses, deacons are ordained in their fifth year, after theology.
Traditionally, following an undergraduate degree, seminaries provide a post-graduate education in theology, so I refer to 4th Theology as the final year of the theology program. It might actually take more than four years to reach that point. Many seminaries find that students require a pre-theology program if their college degree lacked sufficient training in philosophy.
 
A deacon is a deacon, regardless of whether or not he is a permanent one or a transitional one. Granted, not all parishes have dalmatics, but, wearing the diaconal stole over the alb is sufficient.

Maybe y’all can get together as a parish and buy some matching dalmatics for him. I think he would greatly appreciate it.
I’m quite sure he wouldn’t!
 
Well, I think so for three reasons, all inter-related.
  1. He is a humble man, and sees the role of deacon as one of humble servant to the people of God and the bishop.
  2. It would be introducing something that we haven’t had in the parish for over 50 years (we had a disastrous fire one time which meant all the old vestments were ruined and had to be replaced). I know that vestments can be seen as giving honour to the Mass, he would worry that it would be seen as giving honour to the deacon. We’ve managed perfectly adequately to worship God without the optional dalmatic for a deacon, so why start now.
  3. Our parish is heavily committed to supporting a parish in Zimbabwe, including a feeding-station for children who are otherwise starving. We have a permanent display in the church of the good our donations are bringing about in Zimbabwe, and the situation is heartbreaking. All fundraising is for there.True, donations were asked and accepted to install stained glass in two plain glass windows, but that was different - they are always on show. Dalmatics are used for what - an hour each Sunday, as he only officiates at one Mass?
Of course, these are just my impressions, given what I know of him after thirty years having him do the plumbing in our house. I could be wrong! I’ll ask him next time I see him.
 
There have been seminarians assigned to my home parish a number of times and the pastor has always allowed them to preach at weekday masses. I really don’t agree with this and know it is not allowed. When we had a seminarian at work the pastor only allowed him to preach at services other than Mass, which is the right thing to do.
 
A deacon is a deacon, regardless of whether or not he is a permanent one or a transitional one. .
In service and in facilities, but a permanent deacon understands his status will not change. This does not diminish the role of the permanant deacon, his call, is although shared in most ways with a man becoming a priest, there are distinct differences.
 
Well, I think so for three reasons, all inter-related.
  1. He is a humble man, and sees the role of deacon as one of humble servant to the people of God and the bishop.A humble man is compliant to the norms of the liturgy, the dalmatic is the vestmant of the deacon. There is more emphasis made on not wearing them than there is to purchase and wear them. In my opinion they should be worn, I wear them when appropriate. I have a set of Slabbink dalmatics, plain but not tacky. They were about $210 a piece, good quality.
  2. It would be introducing something that we haven’t had in the parish for over 50 years The permanent diaconate wasn’t reinstated 50 years ago, there probably were no dalmatics lost in the fire.(we had a disastrous fire one time which meant all the old vestments were ruined and had to be replaced). I know that vestments can be seen as giving honour to the Mass, he would worry that it would be seen as giving honour to the deacon. It is giving honor to God; Father, Son and Holy Spirit.We’ve managed perfectly adequately to worship God without the optional dalmatic for a deacon, so why start now. Because it is the proper vestmant of the deacon.
  3. Our parish is heavily committed to supporting a parish in Zimbabwe, including a feeding-station for children who are otherwise starving. We have a permanent display in the church of the good our donations are bringing about in Zimbabwe, and the situation is heartbreaking. All fundraising is for there.True, donations were asked and accepted to install stained glass in two plain glass windows, but that was different - they are always on show. Dalmatics are used for what - an hour each Sunday, as he only officiates at one Mass?I believe today’s gospel would address this. Judas complains about wasting 300 days wages worth of oil on the feet of Jesus; what does Jesus tell him? In the mass, it is well worth the little expence to elevate the appearance of the deacon, as it should be elevated just as the priests.
Of course, these are just my impressions, given what I know of him after thirty years having him do the plumbing in our house. I could be wrong! I’ll ask him next time I see him.
I guess this is one of my pet peeves. There was so much emphasis from the older deacons in my diocese against the use of dalmatics. I will never understand the amount of energy they spent steering us away from the fact that we will be part of the liturgy, and when we do serve in the sacred office of deacon in the mass, we should look the part; not for our glory, but for the glory of God!

Liturgical service is only a small part of the ministry of a permanent deacon, however, no matter how small it is, that part is important and should be carried out to the best of our ability and properly vested. Naturally there are times when a dalmatic is not proper, as in concelebrating priest vested in alb and stole only or other deacons vested in only alb and stole. To do other wise would call attention to one self and cause confusion.

But I say, one priest and one deacon on a feast day like any Sunday, he should be in the dalmatic that matches the liturgical colors. Liturgies of lesser degree of solemnity an alb and stole may be more appropriate.
 
Dalmatics are used for what - an hour each Sunday, as he only officiates at one Mass?

Of course, these are just my impressions, given what I know of him after thirty years having him do the plumbing in our house. I could be wrong! I’ll ask him next time I see him.
Remember what we do in the church revoles around signs and symbloles. The Dalmatic is the sign of the deacon, it’s style is to show that the deacon is ready for service and that he is the servant of the people. when is mass he serves with the priest and at the altar. It is as much of a sign as the stained glass window. The deacon should be properlly attired when serving the Lord. A simple dalmatic from several sources can be had for about $150.00. If you are worried that it’s a waste of money, there are a number of convents that make vestments, the money will then go to their good works.

Dcn FAB
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top