Septuagint English translation

  • Thread starter Thread starter thesaviorlives
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thesaviorlives

Guest
Can anyone recommend a faithful English translation of the Septuagint, the problem I’m having is the only two available on Amazon.Com are criticized. For example:

for A New English Translation of the Septuagint, critic writes:
“The NETS translators consider the Septuagint subservient to the Hebrew (Masoretic Text) while not taking into consideration that the Septuagint and Masoretic texts are from two separate and distinct sets of MSS.”

and for The Septuagint with Apocrypha: Greek and English by L. C. L., Sir Brenton, the
critic writes:
“I bought this version and really was excited to receive my copy. I was disappointed to discover upon receiving it that it not really the Septuagint! There are books and chapters missing from this Bible version that should be in it if it were truly the Septuagint. There should be to books of Esdras and…” (well you get the gist of it)

So can anyone please help me find a true authentic english translation of the Septuagint?

Thanks mucho!

Luke
 
Peter Papoutsis has one that I recommend, but he is not finished with all of it yet. It is online what he has so far litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/The+Holy+Orthodox+Bible

The NETS translation is an excellent version, I highly recommend it. It is a translation from the latest critical edition. I too disagree with their views of the MT being superior to the LXX, but their translation from the Greek is excellent. Its free online as well ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/edition/

Here are some LXX resources litteralchristianlibrary.wetpaint.com/page/Greek+Septuagint
 
I have the Brenton edition (published by Zondervan), and the missing books are included at the back. It’s a little confusing because there isn’t a true table of contents at the beginning of the book, so you have to know to look at the back for the “apocrypha”. It’s more like 2 separate books bound together in one volume - even the page numbering starts over.

So all of the missing books and missing chapters are included, just not where one might expect them.

Addendum: this is an old translation: it’s from 1851. So it’s not the best edition if you want the benefits (such as they may be) of a more modern edition.

PPS: There is only one book of Esdras in this edition. And there are better scholarly editions available, so it’s not as complete as the more modern ones.
 
Hey, Luke!
Code:
  It sounds like you might be falling into the "do-it-yourself translation" trap. :)  May I suggest a short course on how to read the Bible like a Catholic?  It's free and in audio files (.mp3's).  You can get it here:
alabamacatholicresources.com/Fr_John_Corapi.html

It’s the first six items on the page. Just download 'em to your PC and listen via Windows Media Player, RealPlayer, etc., or burn 'em to a CD. OR download 'em to your MP3 player, iPod, iPad, etc. and listen. Fr. Corapi is top notch. He has the highest level of education in the Church that exists, but is down to earth in his explanation.

God bless! 🙂

Scooby
 
I am also looking for a faithfull copy of the Septuagint. (Not for the intent of “doing it myself” but to expand my understanding.) I would like to find one that is as close to what the original appostles would have had but in English.

I also would like it to be printed, not online. (I’m old fashioned that way)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top