[SERIOUS DISCUSSION] Playing as an Impostor in Among Us is sinful

• Thread starter Thread starter PolycarpOfSmyrna
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ironically even in Fortnite 10s of millions of little kids are MURDERING each other right now, but it’s just a video game and is not sinful at all, it’s merely light particles being emitted on and off changing colors. I’ve done horrible evil things in Grand Theft Auto for years and it’s not real and I’d never do that in real life.

It’s not necessarily lying if the normal dynamic of communication is suspended by mutual understanding… A bit like acting on a stage.

It is a GAME.
^^ This.
It is not a “simulation of a lie”; it’s an actual lie, and you actually want to fool the crewmates.
The “crewmates” are not real. You’re not actually on a ship trying to do tasks and unmask killer aliens. it’s a role play game, no one thinks it is real, and at the end of the game everyone walks away unaffected in their real life.

For eons, we’ve had card games, role play games, and strategy games that involved lying or deception as part of the game. Everything from poker to murder mystery weekend. There’s nothing new about “Among Us”.

Sounds exactly like a card game people play here called “Werewolf” (with werewolves and villagers instead of impostors and crew members).

I’ve played it before with teens during church camps, because I think it’s a excellent tool for assessing personalities and group dynamics while the kids are having fun.

Everybody is aware that we’re playing pretend, that werewolves do not exist, that we are playing roles which are not our real selves, and that the frame time of the game is a kind of parenthesis where behaviours which are discouraged or forbidden in real interactions are, to an extent, permitted.

Is it theft to cleanly “steal” a basketball in the middle of a play? Or to intercept a football meant for the other team. Yet people not only expect these things to happen, they outright cheer for them.

If everyone is in on the pretence and there is no intent to truly deceive anybody, then there is no moral harm.
This. A lie is predicated on an intent to deceive someone who has a right to know the truth. In playing such a bluffing game, your opponents do not have a right to the truth at the time you make the statement, nor are they permanently deceived by your statements, because the truth comes out when the round is over.

It does sound a little gory, though…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back