Seriously? Ashes in home is sinful?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MockSock
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MockSock

Guest
I saw this thread Cremation Remains as a "gift"

Is it really sinful to keep ashes in one’s home?

I have a similar pendant containing the ashes of a dear friend in my home. Is this sinful? I didn’t know this.
 
Last edited:
The Church doesn’t allow it, that’s correct. I have never felt the need to look deeply into the rationale behind that prohibition, so I can’t help you there. But ashes are to buried - not saved in one’s home, distributed among loved ones, or scattered. I hope someone else can tell you more about why. I’m sorry that you’re in a situation where this is likely a heartbreaking moment. Incidnetally the Church has nothing against relics, so you may wish to pursue the distinction. Perhaps you could save something else very near and dear about your friend that is simply not the actual ashes… I’ll be praying for you as you grieve!
 
I have a similar pendant containing the ashes of a dear friend in my home. Is this sinful?
I don’t get the impression that it’s sinful unless there is something behind it like “pantheism, naturalism or nihilism” .

Also, the norms are for Catholic burials. If your friend in the pendant isn’t Catholic then the norms don’t apply to their burial.

The document I linked gives a few practical reasons for the norm of interning a Catholic in a sacred space.
 
She was Catholic but not practicing. Unfortunately most of her ashes have been scattered, but am I sinning by keeping the pendant containing a small amount of ashes that was created before they were scattered.
 
I personally dont understand the need to keep cremated people in your home after they die. But then again, we as Catholics keep parts of saints. I’m curious to know the reasoning for the difference.
 
What I would suggest is that you bury the pendant. You do not have to buy a cemetery plot or a niche, ask Father to come over and to bless a small bit of yard in your backyard.
 
Jimmy Akin covered this a few days ago on Catholic Answers Live. I will see if I can find the clip later today. The gist is that, while they may hold some value for you, your grandchildren won’t care, and so they may not be treated with appropriate respect (e.g. an artificial diamond jewelry made with human remains may get sold off at an estate sale.) The relics of Saints, on the other hand, are kept in places where they will be properly cared for indefinitely.
 
Last edited:
I never understood either, until my husband died and was cremated. I’m the most pragmatic person I know, and the emotional desire to keep some of his ashes was a big battle for me.
 
I have a similar pendant containing the ashes of a dear friend in my home. Is this sinful?
The sin, if any, I think, would be in regarding another person as an object that we may possess and keep. The Church’s position is based in part on human dignity and respect for the bodies of the dead.
 
Probably not now. But once you come to terms with the fact that you can’t take your friend with you after your own death (that could come at any time), and who will know about the pendant, who will care, how can you be sure someone will take care of it, etc…once you come to terms with that you’ll probably want to inter the remains on a place (perhaps even a sacred place) where you’ll have a reasonable awareness that they will be taken care of after you are gone.

If you realize all of that, and you still wouldn’t let go of the pendant after some time, then that attachment could be considered as sin under the right circumstances.
 
Last edited:
Yes. And I wish my sister would stop holding my grandma and grandpa’s remains hostage, she has no legal right to them. I want them buried, my mother wants them buried. My dad was cremated, but I have to go to Iowa to visit his grave, and I have no problem with that. Also, keeping dead people’s remains in your house, kind of weird I got to say. At least when chapels are built from Bones, it’s a respectful thing to do, because it’s honouring the dead. I don’t feel like carrying around Grandma and Grandpa’s remains is an honourable thing to do.
 
I’ve considered it similar to hanging on to a finger or toe of a dead loved one.
 
She was Catholic but not practicing.
And you are Catholic.

Instruction Ad resurgendum cum Christo regarding the burial of the deceased and the conservation of the ashes in the case of cremation, 25.10.2016

Presentation of the Instruction Ad resurgendum cum Christo regarding the burial of the deceased and the conservation of the ashes in the case of cremation, 25.10.2016
am I sinning by keeping the pendant containing a small amount of ashes that was created before they were scattered.
If you didn’t know Catholics were not supposed to do this, then no, it is what is called a material sin. Now that you are aware that as Catholics we are not to do this, then my advice to you would be to go and speak to your parish priest about this and what you should do re burial of these remaining ashes.
 
I don’t get the impression that it’s sinful unless there is something behind it like “pantheism, naturalism or nihilism” .
On the other hand, it could be thought of as the sin of scandal.
I personally dont understand the need to keep cremated people in your home after they die. But then again, we as Catholics keep parts of saints. I’m curious to know the reasoning for the difference.
Relics are used as part of devotional prayer and in liturgies.

Jewelry with cremains are not.
 
This question (and the responses) have me worried!
I have no money for a funeral, no burial plot and am considering donating my remains for anatomical use.

The medical school will (I hope) take care of ,my cremation.

So, what are my alternatives?
 
Are you speaking of having custody of another person’s remains? How are the remains contained?

Or about disposition of your own after death?
 
Last edited:
I saw online family can request return of cremated remains. All at no cost including transportation before and after.

Perhaps talk to your priest about parish and diocesan resources for low cost burial. It need not cost a lot with parish support.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top