W
wolfpup
Guest
I’m sure you have many threads on this, but I have not found one that definitly answers my queries - so here goes.
The CC says there are seven sacraments that were all instituted by Christ to give grace.
Yet in Scripture we see only three (eucharist, baptism, confession) directly being created by Christ. I can see other such as Confirmation, Holy orders being instituted indirectly (as he did not give a specific command), but most definitly come from God.
I have read on other threads that the others were instituted indirectly as a result of his teaching, not personally - civil marriage as a renewal into Sacramental Marriage by his teachings on the subject, and by fact of the two being baptised. Anonting of the Sick as a part of the Holy Orders and part of the forgiving of sins and healing powers that were given to the Apostles.
How does the church know that these two are Sacraments, when say - exorcisms are only a ritual? How can we know that these two were definitly instituted by Christ himself, and not, like exorcism, a ritual devised by the Church? I’m not denying that they are in Scripture, only trying to understand whether they are actually Sacraments. I think that Lutherans take this view because there is not any explicit evidence in scripture that they are sacraments vs a ritual.
I also have a question on confirmation and holy orders - I know some protestants say that these two are the same thing because both are done by laying on of hands and confer HS - and that all christians should take part in it. How do we know that references to these two things are not talking about the same thing? I’m not that well-versed in Scripture so please excuse my ignorance. Any hope in rebutting this?
The CC says there are seven sacraments that were all instituted by Christ to give grace.
Yet in Scripture we see only three (eucharist, baptism, confession) directly being created by Christ. I can see other such as Confirmation, Holy orders being instituted indirectly (as he did not give a specific command), but most definitly come from God.
I have read on other threads that the others were instituted indirectly as a result of his teaching, not personally - civil marriage as a renewal into Sacramental Marriage by his teachings on the subject, and by fact of the two being baptised. Anonting of the Sick as a part of the Holy Orders and part of the forgiving of sins and healing powers that were given to the Apostles.
How does the church know that these two are Sacraments, when say - exorcisms are only a ritual? How can we know that these two were definitly instituted by Christ himself, and not, like exorcism, a ritual devised by the Church? I’m not denying that they are in Scripture, only trying to understand whether they are actually Sacraments. I think that Lutherans take this view because there is not any explicit evidence in scripture that they are sacraments vs a ritual.
I also have a question on confirmation and holy orders - I know some protestants say that these two are the same thing because both are done by laying on of hands and confer HS - and that all christians should take part in it. How do we know that references to these two things are not talking about the same thing? I’m not that well-versed in Scripture so please excuse my ignorance. Any hope in rebutting this?