Seven Set Rosary?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ScriptStudent
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ScriptStudent

Guest
An elderly friend recently came to me with a question pertaining to a rosary he acquired. While I have not seen it myself, he described the following features:

1.) It starts with 7 beads (presumably between the crucifix and medal, but I’m not sure)
2.) It has 7 sets of 5 beads in each set
3.) It ends with 3 beads

I’m having a hard time imagining exactly what this looks like and his memory may be wrong, but I am thinking the biggest clue will come from the 7 sets of 5 beads.

So the question: Does anyone know the formula/prayers for this type of rosary?
 
It called the Franciscan Crown, or “***Rosary of the Seven Joys of the Blessed Virgin Mary” ***-- also known as the ***“Seraphic Rosary” – ***This 7-decade Rosary that focuses on the 7 Joys of Mary. It’s an ancient Franciscan sacramental that dates to around 1422 AD.

A young man who later became a Franciscan regularly practiced crowning a statue of Mary with garlands of fresh flowers. During his novitiate he could not crown Mary, This caused him great sadness and Mary appeared to him …

She told him - “Do not be sad and cast down, my son, because you are no longer permitted to place wreaths of flowers on my statue. I will teach you to change this pious practice into one that will be far more pleasing to me and far more meritorious to your soul. In place of the flowers that soon wither and cannot always be found, you can weave for me a crown from the flowers of your prayers that will always remain fresh.”

We bought a rosary for our daughter once - Franciscan because she loved St Francis and it had a St Francis medal on it … we got back to the car and realized it had 7 decades and not 5 … took it back to the store and this was what we were told
 
It called the Franciscan Crown, or “***Rosary of the Seven Joys of the Blessed Virgin Mary” ***-- also known as the ***“Seraphic Rosary” – ***This 7-decade Rosary that focuses on the 7 Joys of Mary. It’s an ancient Franciscan sacramental that dates to around 1422 AD.

A young man who later became a Franciscan regularly practiced crowning a statue of Mary with garlands of fresh flowers. During his novitiate he could not crown Mary, This caused him great sadness and Mary appeared to him …

She told him - “Do not be sad and cast down, my son, because you are no longer permitted to place wreaths of flowers on my statue. I will teach you to change this pious practice into one that will be far more pleasing to me and far more meritorious to your soul. In place of the flowers that soon wither and cannot always be found, you can weave for me a crown from the flowers of your prayers that will always remain fresh.”

We bought a rosary for our daughter once - Franciscan because she loved St Francis and it had a St Francis medal on it … we got back to the car and realized it had 7 decades and not 5 … took it back to the store and this was what we were told
Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with the Franciscan Crown, yet my understanding was that consisted of 7 sets of 10 beads, not 7 sets of five beads.

Again, I have not seen the rosary, but I am assuming the information is accurate.
 
Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with the Franciscan Crown, yet my understanding was that consisted of 7 sets of 10 beads, not 7 sets of five beads.

Again, I have not seen the rosary, but I am assuming the information is accurate.
Sorry :o… I missed that part …

I have heard of a Chaplet Rosary’s that only have 6 sets of 5 beads and 5 sets of 3 beads … perhaps this is a Chaplet of some kind …

For sure it sounds like a devotional of some kind
 
Thank you for your reply. I am familiar with the Franciscan Crown, yet my understanding was that consisted of 7 sets of 10 beads, not 7 sets of five beads.

Again, I have not seen the rosary, but I am assuming the information is accurate.
You are correct. The Franciscan crown has 7 decades. 'What you describe is a Chaplet. Which one, I can’t recall. there is a good book of chaplets out, I’ll see if I can locate it.
 
Hi ScriptStudent,

I think that it could possibly be the Chaplet of the Holy Spirit. It has seven sets of five beads in it.

Here is a link to the Catholic leaflet company, that shows a picture of the Chaplet, and that also shows how to pray it, and the prayers that are used for it:

leafletonline.com/Holy-Spirit-Chaplet/productinfo/03098/
 
It’s the Chaplet of the 7 sorrows of Mary:
The seven groups of seven Hail Marys are recited in remembrance of the Seven Sorrows of Mary:
  1. The Prophecy of Simeon
  2. The Flight into Egypt
  3. The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple
  4. Mary meeting Jesus as He carried His Cross
  5. The Crucifixion
  6. Mary receiving the Body of Jesus from the Cross
  7. Jesus’ Body being placed in the tomb
Three Hail Marys are added in remembrance of the tears Mary shed because of the suffering of her Divine Son.
 
Hi again,

I made a mistake in my post. Sorry about that.

I miscounted the beads. 😊

There are seven beads in each set of five in the Holy Spirit Chaplet, and not the five beads in each set that I believe that you are looking for.
 
Hi again,

I made a mistake in my post. Sorry about that.

I miscounted the beads. 😊

There are seven beads in each set of five in the Holy Spirit Chaplet, and not the five beads in each set that I believe that you are looking for.
Thank you for the information on the Chaplet of the Holy Spirit, though. Sounds like a great prayer anyway!
 
It’s the Chaplet of the 7 sorrows of Mary:
The seven groups of seven Hail Marys are recited in remembrance of the Seven Sorrows of Mary:
  1. The Prophecy of Simeon
  2. The Flight into Egypt
  3. The Loss of the Child Jesus in the Temple
  4. Mary meeting Jesus as He carried His Cross
  5. The Crucifixion
  6. Mary receiving the Body of Jesus from the Cross
  7. Jesus’ Body being placed in the tomb
Three Hail Marys are added in remembrance of the tears Mary shed because of the suffering of her Divine Son.
Thank you for the information and recommendation on the book. However, doesn’t the Chaplet of the Sorrows of Mary have 7 sets of 7 beads? If so, that still does not match the description I received/gave.
 
Remembering that rosaries of all sorts are private devotions and, therefore, have many variations as prayer tools, it does sound like an offshoot of the Servite Rosary, meditating on the seven sorrows of Our Lady (which were described above).

As an example of the variations in rosaries, I have an old rosary with 14 large beads and three smaller in between each. Could not figure out, for the life of me, what it was. After years of wondering, I mentioned it to an elderly friend one day, who took one look and proclaimed “stations of the cross.” Makes absolute sense . . . 14 stations with an Our Father, a Hail Mary, and a Glory Be. It only took about 30 years for someone to recognize it.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top