N
nocode87
Guest
Hello! I am new to posting on these forums, but greatly enjoy reading them and learning about Catholic theology, though there is still so, so very much I don’t know about it.
There is something I have been wondering about lately; it may sound quite silly, but it is an honest question that I would sincerely like an answer to. I apologize if this is not the right forum to post this question under; I just was not sure where to post this.
I am under the impression that if a Catholic couple has no intention of having children, they are discouraged from getting married. Secondly, I think I remember reading that though it is fine to enjoy the pleasure of sex within marriage, it is a sin to take any measures that would prevent the possibility of a child being conceived in that act.
I am wondering . . . if a Catholic couple knows before getting married that they will be infertile (say, for instance, a woman previously had to get a hysterectomy due to something like endometrioses or ovarian cancer), is it wrong for them to get married and have sex?
Also, so many people these days need to take prescription medication daily for their health. A lot of these medications cause birth defects to unborn babies. If the man, woman, or both members in a Catholic marriage are taking long-term prescription medications that will be very harmful to an unborn baby if conceived, is it still wrong for this couple to use birth control? Are they then required to abstain completely from sex as long as they are taking the medication?
These may sound like silly questions, but I am sincerely wondering. Although I have greatly enjoyed the extremely limited study of Catholicism I have, I am still obviously very naive about many aspects of Catholic theology! I sincerely would be very appreciative of any answers/insight anyone can provide. Thank you so very much in advance for any responses!
There is something I have been wondering about lately; it may sound quite silly, but it is an honest question that I would sincerely like an answer to. I apologize if this is not the right forum to post this question under; I just was not sure where to post this.
I am under the impression that if a Catholic couple has no intention of having children, they are discouraged from getting married. Secondly, I think I remember reading that though it is fine to enjoy the pleasure of sex within marriage, it is a sin to take any measures that would prevent the possibility of a child being conceived in that act.
I am wondering . . . if a Catholic couple knows before getting married that they will be infertile (say, for instance, a woman previously had to get a hysterectomy due to something like endometrioses or ovarian cancer), is it wrong for them to get married and have sex?
Also, so many people these days need to take prescription medication daily for their health. A lot of these medications cause birth defects to unborn babies. If the man, woman, or both members in a Catholic marriage are taking long-term prescription medications that will be very harmful to an unborn baby if conceived, is it still wrong for this couple to use birth control? Are they then required to abstain completely from sex as long as they are taking the medication?
These may sound like silly questions, but I am sincerely wondering. Although I have greatly enjoyed the extremely limited study of Catholicism I have, I am still obviously very naive about many aspects of Catholic theology! I sincerely would be very appreciative of any answers/insight anyone can provide. Thank you so very much in advance for any responses!