A
Andrew2009
Guest
Hi
I would like to ask something about the Church’s teachings on the above. My question is not meant to be provocative - I’m genuinely curious about the real-world implications of these teachings.
The Church teaches that sexual activity can only take place between man and wife, and that no form of artificial birth control may be used. Each and every sexual act must be open to the possibility of new life being created (i.e. pregnancy).
The population of the world is currently over 6 billion. What would happen if the world suddenly embraced Catholicism en masse and started following the Church’s teachings on sex and birth control. There would be a sudden and exponential explosion of the world’s population - the rise in population would be rapid and extreme.
How would the world cope with this? Wouldn’t this result in huge problems - overcrowding, water shortages, famine, disease, war over territory and natural resources, etc?
So my question is - I think I more or less understand the theological and Biblical reasons for the Church’s teachings on sex, marriage and birth control (and I don’t disagree with them either, by the way). But could these teachings really work in the real world if everyone actually followed them? Wouldn’t this cause enormous problems, due the increase in the world’s population that would result?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!
I would like to ask something about the Church’s teachings on the above. My question is not meant to be provocative - I’m genuinely curious about the real-world implications of these teachings.
The Church teaches that sexual activity can only take place between man and wife, and that no form of artificial birth control may be used. Each and every sexual act must be open to the possibility of new life being created (i.e. pregnancy).
The population of the world is currently over 6 billion. What would happen if the world suddenly embraced Catholicism en masse and started following the Church’s teachings on sex and birth control. There would be a sudden and exponential explosion of the world’s population - the rise in population would be rapid and extreme.
How would the world cope with this? Wouldn’t this result in huge problems - overcrowding, water shortages, famine, disease, war over territory and natural resources, etc?
So my question is - I think I more or less understand the theological and Biblical reasons for the Church’s teachings on sex, marriage and birth control (and I don’t disagree with them either, by the way). But could these teachings really work in the real world if everyone actually followed them? Wouldn’t this cause enormous problems, due the increase in the world’s population that would result?
Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!