Sexually crude jokes

  • Thread starter Thread starter mymamamary
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mymamamary

Guest
Hey forum

In addition to being overall depressed and deflated, I had to put up with the guys in auto class making THE most vulgar, THE most disgusting sexual jokes anyone has ever heard. They were chirping each others moms etc. IN THE MIDDLE OF A WHIMS TEST! I understand jokes, I myself like to tease and prank, but not in the sexually perverted way. My question is… I was trying not to laugh and focus on the test, but one of the kids made a really perverted joke and I couldn’t help but chuckle a little bit, but then I caught myself and started praying to Our LORD and Our Lady to drive the thoughts out of my head. I was wondering, because I laughed, to what degree I was willing to laugh I don’t know, (not very), is this a mortal sin? Is it a mortal sin because I couldn’t help but chuckle? However, Like I said, as soon as I started to chuckle, I killed the laugh and started to pray.

mortal sin??
 
  1. Full knowledge
  2. Full Consent
  3. Grave matter
(not necessarily in that order)
 
  1. Full knowledge
  2. Full Consent
  3. Grave matter
(not necessarily in that order)
OK. so, is “discussion of crude things” grave matter?

at the time that you chuckled, were you concentrating on the jokes, such that at that moment you were fully aware of the situation, knowing what was happening? Were you giving full consent to the action, or was your concentration elsewhere?
 
I was sort of thinking about what he said, being that obnoxious and loud, I hardly doubt that anyone could have heard. I tried to plug my ears inconspicuously, but that did not work.

However, I did start to pray as soon as I started to realize what I was doing…
 
A good rule of thumb: When in doubt, confess. You would do much better to discuss this with your priest.
 
You are a lovely young man who clearly wishes to serve our Lord. May I suggest to you, before you attend seminary, to work with a spiritual director? I worry that your consistent doubts on what constitutes a mortal sin in your own life can and will greatly detract from your desired studies. You feel that you are called to lead others in the faith, which is a beautiful and wonderful calling! But might I suggest you change the focus onto your own spiritual growth and maturity for a little while? I wish you the very best. I trust you are able to discern for yourself whether you have committed a mortal sin or not.
 
Scrupulosity is not from the Lord and it’s clear that you’re suffering at least a little bit from it. Were you cracking the jokes? No. Were you really embracing any of the humor? No. Did you take active steps to reverse the situation in your mind through prayer? Yes. I don’t see any sin here at all.

And quite frankly I don’t see sexual jokes in general as a mortal sin. Crude? Vulgar? Inappropriate? Yeah. Sinful? Surely. On par with sexual sin like fornication or adultery? Uh, no.
 
CaptFun resonds in RED
  1. Full knowledgeYou didn’t know OTHERS were going to do this. You did not knowingly GO to a place where dirty jokes are normally told for “fun” - you were taking a test you had to. Your participation (which was passive at WORST - but involuntary and non-encouraging) was one moment of involuntary surprise and humor at … the wit of the thing (not the scandal of it) it seems like. Enjoying wit is not a sin … enjoying the evil would have been (and you don’t seem like you enjoyed any of THAT)
  2. Full Consent Almost sounds like you gave NONE. Other than continuing to take your test in that environment. I don’t think NOT leaving the room was a sin. And full consent would show up in your wanting to hear MORE, or remembering with pleasure even dirtier jokes you’d heard in the past (that sort of thing).
  3. Grave matter Since you capitalized THE a couple of times, I will guess that the crudity was extreme and hence “grave matter” – for them. Or you if you had gone with them actively or passively which it seems you didn’t.
(not necessarily in that order)
It looks like you did quite well actually. Except that by letting this tear you up you have that incident and those crudities on your mind now - and are possibly scrupulous as to your own participation. You would know best about that I suppose - but scrupulosity can
rob you of the good you can be doing now by keeping you stuck in the past and thinking about a sinful time and yourself as sinful.

WHEN you go to confession go ahead and confess it as you want to - then, since God will forgive you so completely that it will be as far away from you as East is from West - never think of it again. To me the sin (IF there was ANY) looks venial not mortal. The scrupulosity would be an error - but possibly not even a venial sin - since it is undergirded by a desire to please God. Which is VERY good.👍🙂

It’s good to remember that God is on OUR side. And for us to TRY to be on His side by responding to graces.

It LOOKS like you may have been doing JUST that in this spiritual battle - using the grace of Fortitude (one of the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit we received at Confirmation).

We can’t go wobbly every time there is a battle. And scrupulosity would be like (for example) a soldier wins a three day fight with the enemy, driving them away from a city and liberating it - then looks at his uniform which is filthy from the foxhole, crawling, etc. and reasoning “My boots are scuffed and unpolished! I’m as bad as the enemy! My General would court-martial me if he saw me now!”

If Satan tempts you to see God as a persnickety crank and Martinet who cares only for rules to be absolutely perfectly followed at all times - rather than a Father who loves his children:

Look at the cross. That is not an egotist. “Forgive them Father for they know not what they do …” were practically Jesus’ last words and they applied even to those who killed the son of God!

Doing things well and perfectly is still a GREAT virtue. But batting 1.000 is something we don’t do. Except when we are in Christ and “from at bat to at bat”.

Christ’s "Be ye perfect … " was an encouragement, and an assurance that with God’s graces - right now - we can do our best in the present moment.

In my opinion, you did quite well. Maybe others even saw you trying not to hear them, and were blessed by you unknown to you. Maybe the others quit at the point they did due to your good spirit and example.

Now that you seem to have fully probed the incident for evil. Take the gold nuggets of what you’ve learned from the trip down that dark mineshaft and move into the sunlight of Jesus’ love.

Maybe be as bold in proclaiming good things and these folks were in sharing their crudities. Wow. Now I’m convicted of a scrupulosity or two!

Thank you mymamamary! Bless you and keep fighting the good fight. (Which of course is not against yourself!) Lol. :yup:
 
You resisted the laughter so it is not a mortal sin. Praying was a good idea. If the devil sees that you pray when he tempts you it will discourage him.

Also, even if you did not resist the laughter, I don’t think that laughing at a dirty joke is grave matter. It is most likely a venial sin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top