Shock a Holics will love my parish!

  • Thread starter Thread starter steboyz
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steboyz

Guest
Yesterday at Mass our deacon did the homily and began with a very loud rendition of his favorite gospel tune.OK? That sort of thing has penetrated my churches large stone walls before.

However… he then repeated a line from it and told the followers that they would have to repeat the line and some of them enthusiastically did so.At the end of the homily he began to sing again and some in the church clapped and sang along.

When I got into the car for our short ride home i wanted to loudly complain to me MOM but she said it did not bother her so that was the end of that.My mom also recalled hearing holy rollers outside their churches singing gospel music and I made my point that if I wanted to say alleluia after every line of the homily or Praise the Lord I would stop being a Catholic and join another faith located downtown in a store front cathedral.The fact is I dont want this type of thing in my parish church.

What do you think?PTL!
ger
 
And what exactly was the song?

What was the line the Deacon wanted people to repeat?

What do you remember as the main point or points of the homily?

Finally, does the Deacon preach every Sunday?
 
While the homily may not have been your style there doesn’t seem to be anything particularly wrong with what the deacon did.
 
And what exactly was the song?

What was the line the Deacon wanted people to repeat?

What do you remember as the main point or points of the homily?

Finally, does the Deacon preach every Sunday?
Despite working every Saturday night I usually remember the homily’s however this one I did not remember at all.Maybe because I was so upset maybe because his delivery was very choppy.He repeated words constantly and he seemed to forget many times.As for the last question I don’t know.To be frank I really don’t like deacons doing the gospel or the homily
period.

ger
 
Good heavens, you are upset that a Deacon sang a gospel song? What next, maybe have a conniption because he prays?
 
Yesterday at Mass our deacon did the homily and began with a very loud rendition of his favorite gospel tune.OK? That sort of thing has penetrated my churches large stone walls before.

However… he then repeated a line from it and told the followers that they would have to repeat the line and some of them enthusiastically did so.At the end of the homily he began to sing again and some in the church clapped and sang along.

When I got into the car for our short ride home i wanted to loudly complain to me MOM but she said it did not bother her so that was the end of that.My mom also recalled hearing holy rollers outside their churches singing gospel music and I made my point that if I wanted to say alleluia after every line of the homily or Praise the Lord I would stop being a Catholic and join another faith located downtown in a store front cathedral.The fact is I dont want this type of thing in my parish church.

What do you think?PTL!
ger
I sympathize with you and your reaction to the “homily”. My family and I went to church in another state a few weeks ago. The problem I had was that I was distracted by the music leader and her theatrical attempts to sing songs that aren’t normally sung in Catholic churches. They were more like the gospel tune you mentioned. I don’t think the music or actions of the people taking part should distract from the mass itself.
 
To be frank I really don’t like deacons doing the gospel or the homily period.
If there is a deacon present at Mass, it is his JOB to proclaim the gospel. The priest does so only when there isn’t a deacon present.

From the GIRM:
  1. By tradition, the function of proclaiming the readings is ministerial, not presidential. The readings, therefore, should be proclaimed by a lector, **and the Gospel by a deacon **or, in his absence, a priest other than the celebrant. If, however, a deacon or another priest is not present, the priest celebrant himself should read the Gospel. Further, if another suitable lector is also not present, then the priest celebrant should also proclaim the other readings.
In addition, the deacon is authorized to give the homily though it shouldn’t be every week.
 
If there is a deacon present at Mass, it is his JOB to proclaim the gospel. The priest does so only when there isn’t a deacon present.

From the GIRM:
  1. By tradition, the function of proclaiming the readings is ministerial, not presidential. The readings, therefore, should be proclaimed by a lector, **and the Gospel by a deacon **or, in his absence, a priest other than the celebrant. If, however, a deacon or another priest is not present, the priest celebrant himself should read the Gospel. Further, if another suitable lector is also not present, then the priest celebrant should also proclaim the other readings.
In addition, the deacon is authorized to give the homily though it shouldn’t be every week.
A what? I am sure that I have seen the priest together with a deacon and the priest read the gospel and gave the homily.I am sure that most people in the parish would be at a loss
if they knew that deacons were responsible for reading the gospel and the presiding priest could only do the homily. If you polled the parish I am sure many in the parish would say that its the priests job to read the gospel and give the homily and that they prefer it that way.

My objection to the deacon singing the gospel song to start the homily and the people asked to shout out a line from the song is that after being a catholic for 58 years I have been trained to attentively listen to the homily and not to participate to it.

ger
 
The problem I had was that I was distracted by the music leader and her theatrical attempts to sing songs that aren’t normally sung in Catholic churches.
That doesn’t mean the song can’t be sung in a Catholic church.
They were more like the gospel tune you mentioned. I don’t think the music or actions of the people taking part should distract from the mass itself.
For some people that kind of music doesn’t distract them at all but rather adds to their prayer.
 
Even if the Pope is celebrating Mass and a Deacon is vested, the Deacon reads the Gospel.

This has always been the role of a Deacon, even in the Tridentine Mass it was preferable for a Deacon to preach the Gospel.

Consider in the traditional Rite of Ordination for a Deacon. He is invested with the Book of the Gospels while the Bishop said:

Accipe potestatem legendi Evangelium in Ecclesia Dei, tam pro vivis, quam pro defunctis, In nomine Domine.

Receive the authority to preach the Gospel in the Church of God, for the living and the dead as well, in the name of the Lord.

Now as far as the homily, I agree that having the crowd respond like it’s call and response is a bit out there, especially because the laity shouldn’t participate in the Homily.
 
That doesn’t mean the song can’t be sung in a Catholic church.

For some people that kind of music doesn’t distract them at all but rather adds to their prayer.
You are correct Pries and I guess there’s no accounting for taste. But personally I love traditional Catholic hymns and also some more modern ones that are quietly inspirational and that draw me into the mass rather than make me wonder what they (the music director) were thinking!😛
 
\To be frank I really don’t like deacons doing the gospel or the homily
period.\

**Why don’t you like deacon’s “doing the gospel”? I assume you mean reading the Gospel.

Guess what?

It’s been part of the Deacon’s liturgical duty and privilege, even in the Extraordinary Form, and in all the classical liturgies, East and West, to read the Gospel!

Didn’t you know that?**

\If you polled the parish I am sure many in the parish would say that its the priests job to read the gospel and give the homily and that they prefer it that way.\

Personal preferences of the faithful and plebecites or even simple their simple ignorance do not revoke the ancient useage of the Church.
 
Yesterday at Mass our deacon did the homily and began with a very loud rendition of his favorite gospel tune.OK? That sort of thing has penetrated my churches large stone walls before.

However… he then repeated a line from it and told the followers that they would have to repeat the line and some of them enthusiastically did so.At the end of the homily he began to sing again and some in the church clapped and sang along.

When I got into the car for our short ride home i wanted to loudly complain to me MOM but she said it did not bother her so that was the end of that.

What do you think?PTL!
ger
If some people during Mass were told to stand on their heads, theyd do it. Whats wrong with a decent amount of reverence during Mass? If we cant allow ourselves to be raised above the everyday world for an hour or so each week, theres something wrong.

Youre not alone; i agree with you. So, dont feel that you should have to change your outlook to suit anyone else. Keep believing in deep reverence and dignity and “Otherness”.
Ask yourself: “What would Pope Benedict prefer?”.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top