Should a man marry if he has overly-healthy libido?

  • Thread starter Thread starter johnsmith2025
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
You get married because that’s what you are called to, not because you need to fulfill an urge.

Libido will also change over time- and what’s to say your wife won’t have one to match?
Now to the unmarried and to widows, I say: it is a good thing for them to remain as they are, as I do, but if they cannot exercise self-control they should marry, for it is better to marry than to be on fire.
1 Cor. 7:8-9

The Apostle makes it sound a lot as if the need to fulfill an urge is part of how you know you have that vocation.

I agree with those who say that what one imagine one will want is often more than what one actually wants when a chance to satisfy the desire is regularly available. If not, well, people deal with getting less sex than they would ideally want to have, and do not usually believe that it would have been better to have no marital relations at all than to have less than they’d like.

OP, if you know about your “over-healthy” sex drive because you have been in the habit of indulging in pre-marital sex, a period of continence would be advisable prior to going out and finding a spouse. Self-control is necessary for marriage. Prove yourself capable of fidelity before making promises you can’t keep.
 
You might like to have sex with your wife at least once a day, but you do not need to have sex with your wife that frequently. It is not like eating, breathing or drinking water. It’s for bonding and creating children, not merely for recreation. You are not considering this question properly. The question should be,

“How should I use my God-given sexual desires to glorify God?”
This was well said.

The concern, as I have experienced, is that when there is an unhealthy attachment to sex, it can lead one to believe that they do “need” it and will stop at nothing to get it (including affairs). If I were to go back and find out that my wife “needed” sex as much as she does, I would have run the opposite way…and that is coming from a man.

It may also be more than libido. Could be a confidence/self worth thing too. Sex = self worth, no sex = worthless Could be all sorts of unhealthy attitudes and mental concerns.

Everyday life gets much too busy to have the energy to have sex all the time. A nice restful cuddle, absolutely, but not necessarily sex.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top